Bibliography/CSL/YAML for conference events

12

Bibliography/CSL/YAML for conference events

Joseph Reagle
I have a data field that is being rendered by
chicago-bibliography-fullnote.csl oddly. The pandoc rendering has an
"in" but then nothing -- but it does have a parenthetical showing it was
a conference paper.

How should my yaml be restructured to get an appropriate rendering?
Should I also have a container-title: "Proceedings of CSCW 2010"?
Wouldn't that then be redundant?

20. Mor Naaman, Jeffrey Boase, and Chih-Hui Lai, “Is It Really About
Me?” in (presented at the CSCW 2010, Association for Computing
Machinery, 2010),
http://infolab.stanford.edu/~mor/research/naamanCSCW10.pdf.

The corresponding yaml is:

```

- id: NaamanBoaseLai2010iir
  type: paper-conference
  author:
  - family: "Naaman"
    given: "Mor"
  - family: "Boase"
    given: "Jeffrey"
  - family: "Lai"
    given: "Chih-Hui"
  custom2: "06-shaped-2.mm"
  issued:
    year: 2010
    month: 02
  event: "CSCW 2010"
  keyword: "comment"
  publisher: "Association for Computing Machinery"
  title: "Is it really about me?"
  accessed:
    year: 2013
    month: 07
    day: 24
  event-place: "Atlanta"

```

Re: Bibliography/CSL/YAML for conference events

Nick Bart
Indeed, "type: paper-conference" should contain a "container-title" field (plus "publisher", "publisher-place", "pages", etc.).

If you feel it's redundant, then remove the "event" field (this field triggers the "presented at …" output; I feel this usually does not make much sense for a formally published "paper-conference" item, though it does of course for unpublished "speech" items and such).

  custom2: "<a href="http://06-shaped-2.mm" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2F06-shaped-2.mm\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNG_bllMY5iL7pvjVNqqdO7gU9qAsA';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2F06-shaped-2.mm\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNG_bllMY5iL7pvjVNqqdO7gU9qAsA';return true;">06-shaped-2.mm"
  issued:
    year: 2010
    month: 02
  event: "CSCW 2010"
  keyword: "comment"
  publisher: "Association for Computing Machinery"
  title: "Is it really about me?"
  URL: "<a href="http://infolab.stanford.edu/~mor/research/naamanCSCW10.pdf" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Finfolab.stanford.edu%2F~mor%2Fresearch%2FnaamanCSCW10.pdf\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNGdmkBof2mmlAHXUHYpbWmEhUi8Kg';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Finfolab.stanford.edu%2F~mor%2Fresearch%2FnaamanCSCW10.pdf\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNGdmkBof2mmlAHXUHYpbWmEhUi8Kg';return true;">http://infolab.stanford.edu/~mor/research/naamanCSCW10.pdf"
  accessed:
    year: 2013
    month: 07
    day: 24
  event-place: "Atlanta"

```

pandoc-citeproc/CSL: Protecting case in container titles?

Joseph Reagle-3

I have bibliographies that cite source material form 'Amazon.com' and
'comp.os.minix'. These are rendered by chicago-fullnote-bibliography.csl
as 'Amazon.Com' and 'Comp.Os.Minix'. Is there a way to preserve the case?

Re: pandoc-citeproc/CSL: Protecting case in container titles?

citeproc-js doesn't do that and neither should citeproc-hs, I believe.
A period without a space does not start a new word. Frank did build an
unofficial option to exempt letters from escaping into citeproc-js,
not sure if the equivalent exists for the hs version.
We've talked in the past about an official syntax for this, but I
don't think that ever went anywhere. In any case, that should be as
rare as possible and I think in this case the solution should be to
fix title casing in citeproc-hs

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 10:59 AM, Joseph Reagle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have bibliographies that cite source material form 'Amazon.com' and
> 'comp.os.minix'. These are rendered by chicago-fullnote-bibliography.csl
> as 'Amazon.Com' and 'Comp.Os.Minix'. Is there a way to preserve the case?

Re: Bibliography/CSL/YAML for conference events

Joseph Reagle
But shouldn't the style skip the "in " if there's no container title in
any case?

On 05/09/2014 06:50 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Indeed, "type: paper-conference" should contain a "container-title"
> field (plus "publisher", "publisher-place", "pages", etc.).
>
> If you feel it's redundant, then remove the "event" field (this field
> triggers the "presented at …" output; I feel this usually does not make
> much sense for a formally published "paper-conference" item, though it
> does of course for unpublished "speech" items and such).

So if I have a unpublished speech (or even more formal conference paper
but for which there is no actually published proceedings), it makes a
lot more sense to use the event...?

On 05/12/2014 01:22 PM, Sebastian Karcher wrote:
> citeproc-js doesn't do that and neither should citeproc-hs, I believe.
> A period without a space does not start a new word. Frank did build an
> unofficial option to exempt letters from escaping into citeproc-js,
> not sure if the equivalent exists for the hs version.
> We've talked in the past about an official syntax for this, but I
> don't think that ever went anywhere. In any case, that should be as
> rare as possible and I think in this case the solution should be to
> fix title casing in citeproc-hs

My bibtex habit was always to sentence case titles but title case
everything else. Is this different for CSL?

Re: Bibliography/CSL/YAML for conference events

Joseph Reagle
On 05/09/2014 06:50 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> If you feel it's redundant, then remove the "event" field (this field
> triggers the "presented at …" output; I feel this usually does not make
> much sense for a formally published "paper-conference" item, though it
> does of course for unpublished "speech" items and such).

I'm having difficulty getting expected behavior from
chicago-fullnote-bibliography in any case. Looking at the CSL, it
doesn't look like the "event" field is the only trigger, but it requires
the "publisher" and "publisher-place". However, I have lots of
conference papers that have event-place and event but no publisher...

Re: Bibliography/CSL/YAML for conference events

Sebastian Karcher
I'm sorry to say if you want help with the "official" Chicago
style(s), then I'll need things replicated in Zotero, I don't have
citations in pandoc running successfully.

On 05/12/2014 02:58 PM, Sebastian Karcher wrote:
> I'm sorry to say if you want help with the "official" Chicago
> style(s), then I'll need things replicated in Zotero, I don't have
> citations in pandoc running successfully.

In this case, I'm confused by the logic of the style sheet (independent
of processor). (BTW: The latest pandoc (1.12.4) in hackage seems to be
running well.)

chicago-fullnote-bibliography.csl only triggers the event macro if
there's a publisher or publisher-location. But I often encounter
conference papers online for whom I don't know the publisher, but I do
have an event title and place. Indeed, people often post or collect
conference papers or presentations informally without an formal publisher.

Re: Bibliography/CSL/YAML for conference events

Nick Bart
Maybe someone more familiar with CSL could shed more light on this, but based on the actual behaviour of most CSL styles I always took it that "paper-conference" (Zotero: "Conference Paper") is to be used for formally published papers only, analogous to biblatex's "inproceedings".

The type that usually works well for papers without a formal publisher is CSL "speech" (Zotero: "Presentation). Your "conference papers online for whom I don't know the publisher, but I do have an event title and place" would fall into this category.

As to "My bibtex habit was always to sentence case titles but title case
everything else. Is this different for CSL?":

The rule (required for titles in English only, btw) is simple: sentence case for CSL, title case for bibtex and biblatex.

On 12 May 2014 19:18, Joseph Reagle <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 05/12/2014 02:58 PM, Sebastian Karcher wrote:
> I'm sorry to say if you want help with the "official" Chicago
> style(s), then I'll need things replicated in Zotero, I don't have
> citations in pandoc running successfully.

In this case, I'm confused by the logic of the style sheet (independent
of processor). (BTW: The latest pandoc (1.12.4) in hackage seems to be
running well.)

chicago-fullnote-bibliography.csl only triggers the event macro if
there's a publisher or publisher-location. But I often encounter
conference papers online for whom I don't know the publisher, but I do
have an event title and place. Indeed, people often post or collect
conference papers or presentations informally without an formal publisher.

Re: Bibliography/CSL/YAML for conference events

Sebastian Karcher
just to say from the "CSL expert" perspective that everything Nick
writes is spot on.

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 1:43 PM, Nick Bart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Maybe someone more familiar with CSL could shed more light on this, but
> based on the actual behaviour of most CSL styles I always took it that
> "paper-conference" (Zotero: "Conference Paper") is to be used for formally
> published papers only, analogous to biblatex's "inproceedings".
>
> The type that usually works well for papers without a formal publisher is
> CSL "speech" (Zotero: "Presentation). Your "conference papers online for
> whom I don't know the publisher, but I do have an event title and place"
> would fall into this category.
>
> As to "My bibtex habit was always to sentence case titles but title case
> everything else. Is this different for CSL?":
>
> The rule (required for titles in English only, btw) is simple: sentence case
> for CSL, title case for bibtex and biblatex.
>

> On 12 May 2014 19:18, Joseph Reagle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 05/12/2014 02:58 PM, Sebastian Karcher wrote:
>> > I'm sorry to say if you want help with the "official" Chicago
>> > style(s), then I'll need things replicated in Zotero, I don't have
>> > citations in pandoc running successfully.
>>
>> In this case, I'm confused by the logic of the style sheet (independent
>> of processor). (BTW: The latest pandoc (1.12.4) in hackage seems to be
>> running well.)
>>
>> chicago-fullnote-bibliography.csl only triggers the event macro if
>> there's a publisher or publisher-location. But I often encounter
>> conference papers online for whom I don't know the publisher, but I do
>> have an event title and place. Indeed, people often post or collect
>> conference papers or presentations informally without an formal publisher.

Re: Bibliography/CSL/YAML for conference events

Joseph Reagle
Hi Nick,

On 05/12/2014 03:43 PM, Nick Bart wrote:
> The type that usually works well for papers without a formal publisher
> is CSL "speech" (Zotero: "Presentation). Your "conference papers online
> for whom I don't know the publisher, but I do have an event title and
> place" would fall into this category.

Switching this source to type 'speech' and using
chicago-fullnote-bibliography.csl yields the following:

~~~

Kennedy, Geoffrey J. “Peer-Assessment in Group Projects: Is It Worth
It?” presented at the Australasian Computing Education Conference,
Newcastle, Australia, 2006. http://crpit.com/confpapers/CRPITV42Kennedy.pdf.

11. Geoffrey J. Kennedy, “Peer-Assessment in Group Projects: Is It Worth
It?” 2006, http://crpit.com/confpapers/CRPITV42Kennedy.pdf;

~~~

This reveals a few shortcomings relative to CMS15. In particular, the
notes format is rather sparse. CMS15 recommends the following:

~~~

N:
2. Stacy D’Erasmo, “The Craft and Career of Writing” (lecture,
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, April 26, 2000).
B:
Nass, Clifford. “Why Researchers Treat On-Line Journals Like Real
People.” Keynote address, annual meeting of the Council of Science
Editors, San Antonio, TX, May 6–9, 2000.
R:
O’Guinn, T. C. 1987. Touching greatness: Some aspects of star worship in
contemporary consumption. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the
American Psychological Association, New York.

~~~

Re: Bibliography/CSL/YAML for conference events

Sebastian Karcher
In Zotero I get
N:
Jeffrey M. Chwieroth et al., “The Institutional Construction of
Neoliberal Economic Globalization: The Case of Capital Market
Liberalization in Latin America” (Paper presented at the 3rd annual
meeting of the International Political Economy Society, Philadelphia,
PA, 2007).

B:
Chwieroth, Jeffrey M., H. Street, A. M. Hicks, and D. Pinheiro. “The
Institutional Construction of Neoliberal Economic Globalization: The
Case of Capital Market Liberalization in Latin America.” Paper
presented at the 3rd annual meeting of the International Political
Economy Society, Philadelphia, PA, 2007.

Which looks good to me. We had some problems with poorly written <if>
conditions in the CMoS styles, and citeproc-js is more generous
(technically wrong) about these than citeproc-hs, so worth looking if
there are examples in the csl that test for multiple item types
without match="any", especially related to speech.

(Btw. it matters relatively little for the full note style, but we're
following CMoS 16, not 15. )
IIRC the style defaults to "Paper" unless something is in the "genre"
variable, in which case that's used.

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 1:14 PM, Joseph Reagle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> On 05/12/2014 03:43 PM, Nick Bart wrote:
>> The type that usually works well for papers without a formal publisher
>> is CSL "speech" (Zotero: "Presentation). Your "conference papers online
>> for whom I don't know the publisher, but I do have an event title and
>> place" would fall into this category.
>
> Switching this source to type 'speech' and using
> chicago-fullnote-bibliography.csl yields the following:
>
> ~~~
>
> Kennedy, Geoffrey J. “Peer-Assessment in Group Projects: Is It Worth
> It?” presented at the Australasian Computing Education Conference,
> Newcastle, Australia, 2006. http://crpit.com/confpapers/CRPITV42Kennedy.pdf.
>
> 11. Geoffrey J. Kennedy, “Peer-Assessment in Group Projects: Is It Worth
> It?” 2006, http://crpit.com/confpapers/CRPITV42Kennedy.pdf;
>
> ~~~
>
> This reveals a few shortcomings relative to CMS15. In particular, the
> notes format is rather sparse. CMS15 recommends the following:
>
> ~~~
>
> N:
> 2. Stacy D’Erasmo, “The Craft and Career of Writing” (lecture,
> Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, April 26, 2000).
> B:
> Nass, Clifford. “Why Researchers Treat On-Line Journals Like Real
> People.” Keynote address, annual meeting of the Council of Science
> Editors, San Antonio, TX, May 6–9, 2000.
> R:
> O’Guinn, T. C. 1987. Touching greatness: Some aspects of star worship in
> contemporary consumption. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the
> American Psychological Association, New York.
>
> ~~~

Re: Bibliography/CSL/YAML for conference events

Nick Bart
Right, I think I see what's going on here: chicago-fullnote-bibliography.csl uses "publisher-place" to format notes, and "event-place" to format bibliography entries. I assume you're using "event-place" only, so this, plus "genre" information iyou don't get In Zotero, this effect is masked since the "Place" field is exported to both "publisher-place" and "event-place".

@adamsmith: Do you think you could fix the style to use "event-place" only for "speech"?
Also, if there's neither an "event" nor any of the places, "genre" is rendered in the bibliography but not in the notes, in pandoc and Zotero alike.

(It's good to have both "publisher-place" and "event-place" since for a formally published "paper-conference" these two may be different. I assume that since Zotero only has a single "Place" field for  "Conference Paper", the decision was made to export this to both "publisher-place" and "event-place", though of course it'd be better if Zotero would get fields for both in the future. For "Presentation"/"speech", however, I feel "Place" should be exported to "event-place" only.)

On 13 May 2014 19:14, Joseph Reagle <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Nick,

On 05/12/2014 03:43 PM, Nick Bart wrote:
> The type that usually works well for papers without a formal publisher
> is CSL "speech" (Zotero: "Presentation). Your "conference papers online
> for whom I don't know the publisher, but I do have an event title and
> place" would fall into this category.

Switching this source to type 'speech' and using
chicago-fullnote-bibliography.csl yields the following:

~~~

Kennedy, Geoffrey J. “Peer-Assessment in Group Projects: Is It Worth
It?” presented at the Australasian Computing Education Conference,
Newcastle, Australia, 2006. http://crpit.com/confpapers/CRPITV42Kennedy.pdf.

11. Geoffrey J. Kennedy, “Peer-Assessment in Group Projects: Is It Worth
It?” 2006, http://crpit.com/confpapers/CRPITV42Kennedy.pdf;

~~~

This reveals a few shortcomings relative to CMS15. In particular, the
notes format is rather sparse. CMS15 recommends the following:

~~~

N:
2. Stacy D’Erasmo, “The Craft and Career of Writing” (lecture,
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, April 26, 2000).
B:
Nass, Clifford. “Why Researchers Treat On-Line Journals Like Real
People.” Keynote address, annual meeting of the Council of Science
Editors, San Antonio, TX, May 6–9, 2000.
R:
O’Guinn, T. C. 1987. Touching greatness: Some aspects of star worship in
contemporary consumption. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the
American Psychological Association, New York.

~~~

Re: Bibliography/CSL/YAML for conference events

Sebastian Karcher

> @adamsmith: Do you think you could fix the style to use "event-place" only
> for "speech"?
> Also, if there's neither an "event" nor any of the places, "genre" is
> rendered in the bibliography but not in the notes, in pandoc and Zotero
> alike.

yes, will do. The lack of that distinction is a long-standing issue in
Zotero, we should get that fixed together with the long other list of
field and item updates.

> On 13 May 2014 19:14, Joseph Reagle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Nick,
>>
>> On 05/12/2014 03:43 PM, Nick Bart wrote:
>> > The type that usually works well for papers without a formal publisher
>> > is CSL "speech" (Zotero: "Presentation). Your "conference papers online
>> > for whom I don't know the publisher, but I do have an event title and
>> > place" would fall into this category.
>>
>> Switching this source to type 'speech' and using
>> chicago-fullnote-bibliography.csl yields the following:
>>
>> ~~~
>>
>> Kennedy, Geoffrey J. “Peer-Assessment in Group Projects: Is It Worth
>> It?” presented at the Australasian Computing Education Conference,
>> Newcastle, Australia, 2006.
>> http://crpit.com/confpapers/CRPITV42Kennedy.pdf.
>>
>> 11. Geoffrey J. Kennedy, “Peer-Assessment in Group Projects: Is It Worth
>> It?” 2006, http://crpit.com/confpapers/CRPITV42Kennedy.pdf;
>>
>> ~~~
>>
>> This reveals a few shortcomings relative to CMS15. In particular, the
>> notes format is rather sparse. CMS15 recommends the following:
>>
>> ~~~
>>
>> N:
>> 2. Stacy D’Erasmo, “The Craft and Career of Writing” (lecture,
>> Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, April 26, 2000).
>> B:
>> Nass, Clifford. “Why Researchers Treat On-Line Journals Like Real
>> People.” Keynote address, annual meeting of the Council of Science
>> Editors, San Antonio, TX, May 6–9, 2000.
>> R:
>> O’Guinn, T. C. 1987. Touching greatness: Some aspects of star worship in
>> contemporary consumption. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the
>> American Psychological Association, New York.
>>
>> ~~~

pandoc-citeproc/CSL: Don't capitalize DNS

Joseph Reagle
This is related to but different from my earlier question about
container titles.

In this case I have a title with a ".me" domain suffix in the YAML:

  title: "Harassment by Q&A: Initial thoughts on Formspring.me"

This is rendered with a capital 'M':

  “Harassment by Q&A: Initial Thoughts on Formspring.Me,”

In bibtex I protect it as such:

   title = {{Harassment} by {Q\&A:} {Initial} Thoughts on {Formspring.me}},

Is this a citeproc issue? (I don't think it makes sense to capitalize
'\.\w' .)

Re: pandoc-citeproc/CSL: Don't capitalize DNS

Sebastian Karcher
sorry, why isn't this the same issue as Amazon.Com? Am I missing
something? I agree this doesn't make sense and as I say above,
citeproc-js doesn't do this.

On 05/15/2014 09:54 AM, Sebastian Karcher wrote:
> sorry, why isn't this the same issue as Amazon.Com? Am I missing

Okay, perhaps it is, I'll refer this to pandoc then.

12