CSL GUI, and schema

Bruce D'Arcus-3
So Johan has been posting about this progress on the CSL editor he was
working on. He's come a long way, and has a working application, which
is great!  Just copying my reply to his questions here for followup:

====
On your first question, how stable it is depends on the feedback I get
from developers, which includes you, and the OpenOffice/OpenDocument
people. The questions I posed on the list recently lay out the issue I
see, so let me know there if you suggest any changes.

You can certainly put it on my project site, and I can even give you
CVS access if you like.  Just let me know (maybe with a followup on the
dev list) and we'll go from there.

BTW, the reason I don't use the CVS is just that I prefer using darcs
for my development stuff.
====

The primary open questions are:

a) whether I ought to work to make it more compact, which means:

        - removing some the current nesting (say the "terms" element)
        - removing dates and moving it all to attributes
        - moving much more content to attributes (like the prefix/suffix

b) How well the layout description works with its nesting.

c)  I may also consider tweaking the info section to be embedded RDF

Also, if I can pitch it for inclusion in OD, that will mean using the
fo namespace for the styling attributes, and the OD text namespace for
prefix/suffix.

Many of the above are minor changes, of course, but am not sure how
Cocoa handles XML.

Re: CSL GUI, and schema

Johan Kool
I come back to all this tomorrow (it's 2 am now here). Just one thing
I wanted to ask. I never quite understood what a namespace is. Can
you describe it for me in a short explanation? Or do you know a good
reference? I don't need to know everything, just what it is for and
how I can see from a xml file what namespace(s) are used.

Thanks!

Johan

Re: CSL GUI, and schema

Bruce D'Arcus-3
On Oct 7, 2005, at 9:17 PM, Johan Kool wrote:

> I come back to all this tomorrow (it's 2 am now here). Just one thing
> I wanted to ask. I never quite understood what a namespace is. Can you
> describe it for me in a short explanation? Or do you know a good
> reference? I don't need to know everything, just what it is for and
> how I can see from a xml file what namespace(s) are used.

A namespace binds a uri to a node to disambiguate conflicting names.  A
namespace prefix binds a prefix to a namespace uri.  So a declaration
like this:

        xmlns:csl="http://purl.org/net/csl"

... does just that, and csl:title is then in that namespace, to
distinguish from, say, mods:title.

It's really important in any complex XML stuff so that the tools know
what to do.  If you tell them to look for csl:title, they will ignore
any other title node.

In any case, you'd end up with:

<cs:title text:prefix="(" text:suffix=")"/>

BTW, this:

        xmlns="http:/ex.net"

... declares the "default namespace."

Re: CSL GUI, and schema

Johan Kool
Op 8-okt-2005, om 2:04 heeft Bruce D'Arcus het volgende geschreven:

> On your first question, how stable it is depends on the feedback I
> get from developers, which includes you, and the OpenOffice/
> OpenDocument people. The questions I posed on the list recently lay
> out the issue I see, so let me know there if you suggest any changes.

Here is a suggestion:

Info.BasedOn = element basedOn { Info.Title, Info.Version? }

Info. BasedOnTitle = element basedOnTitle { text }
Info. BasedOnVersion? = element basedOnVersion { text }

Just because that's easier for me... :-) Is their a good reason to
nest this?

> You can certainly put it on my project site, and I can even give
> you CVS access if you like.  Just let me know (maybe with a
> followup on the dev list) and we'll go from there.
>
> BTW, the reason I don't use the CVS is just that I prefer using
> darcs for my development stuff.

I don't have access to a CVS (or similar system). I think that it
would at some point become handy, once the main structure of my app
stands. My account name on SF is johankool.

> ====
>
> The primary open questions are:
>
> a) whether I ought to work to make it more compact, which means:
>
> - removing some the current nesting (say the "terms" element)
> - removing dates and moving it all to attributes
> - moving much more content to attributes (like the prefix/suffix
>
> b) How well the layout description works with its nesting.
>
> c)  I may also consider tweaking the info section to be embedded RDF
>
> Also, if I can pitch it for inclusion in OD, that will mean using
> the fo namespace for the styling attributes, and the OD text
> namespace for prefix/suffix.
>
> Many of the above are minor changes, of course, but am not sure how
> Cocoa handles XML.

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/
NSXML_Concepts/index.html is what I use. This makes it require 10.4,
but that was already the case because I use NSTreeController as well.

Thanks for the namespace explanation!

Johan

Re: CSL GUI, and schema

Bruce D'Arcus-3
On Oct 8, 2005, at 10:15 AM, Johan Kool wrote:

> Here is a suggestion:
>
> Info.BasedOn = element basedOn { Info.Title, Info.Version? }
>

> Info. BasedOnTitle = element basedOnTitle { text }
> Info. BasedOnVersion? = element basedOnVersion { text }
>
> Just because that's easier for me... :-) Is their a good reason to
> nest this?

No.  I can change that.  Likewise, see if there are other places where
you see unnecessary nesting.

>> You can certainly put it on my project site, and I can even give you
>> CVS access if you like.  Just let me know (maybe with a followup on
>> the dev list) and we'll go from there.
>>
>> BTW, the reason I don't use the CVS is just that I prefer using darcs
>> for my development stuff.
>
> I don't have access to a CVS (or similar system). I think that it
> would at some point become handy, once the main structure of my app
> stands. My account name on SF is johankool.

OK.  When I get around to this (am busy, and not that familiar with
CVS), let me know what project name you want me to call it (for the
CVS).

Re: CSL GUI, and schema

Johan Kool
Op 8-okt-2005, om 15:34 heeft Bruce D'Arcus het volgende geschreven:

> OK.  When I get around to this (am busy, and not that familiar with
> CVS), let me know what project name you want me to call it (for the
> CVS).

CSLEditor ? No hurry, as I won't be putting it on CVS until it's in a
more advanced state. And I am not too familiar with CVS either.

Progress so far:
- Info pane working except for authors and sources

Now I want to get onto the Bibliography pane.

Cheers,

Johan

Re: CSL GUI, and schema

Bruce D'Arcus-3
On 10/8/05, Johan Kool <[hidden email]> wrote:

> CSLEditor ? No hurry, as I won't be putting it on CVS until it's in a
> more advanced state. And I am not too familiar with CVS either.

I added you as a developer with CVS access Johan.  I don't have time
to work out the rest right now, but feel free if you like.

Obviously your thing would be a module.

Question to consider: what happens if you or someone else comes along
and has the obvious thought: "hmm .. a good start of a full bib app"?

Just something to think about as you set things up.

Re: CSL GUI, and schema

Johan Kool
Op 9-okt-2005, om 22:57 heeft Bruce D'Arcus het volgende geschreven:

> I added you as a developer with CVS access Johan.  I don't have time
> to work out the rest right now, but feel free if you like.

Thanks. I didn't really get to it much today. I'll check it out later.

> Question to consider: what happens if you or someone else comes along
> and has the obvious thought: "hmm .. a good start of a full bib app"?

Isn't that the whole point of Open Source software? ;-) If they
adhere to the license I choose for putting it online, I have no
problem with this. I am not yet sure which license to choose though.
I usually prefer BSD over GPL, but that's from a developer's code
consuming prospective. I'll think about it.

Johan