CSL editor update

Steve Ridout-2
Hello,

The CSL editor project is getting very close to finishing now. As such, the current features won't change much now within this specific Mendeley/Columbia project. You can try it here: http://steveridout.com/csl/about/

I'm pretty happy with how it's gone, people are using it to create actual styles and I think it's a lot more inviting to newcomers than editing XML. At the same time there are a lot of ideas which couldn't be done due to lack of time. Some of these are 'risky' ideas where it's hard to know how well they'll work before building some prototypes. e.g. a wizard to build an initial style template, and a searchable database of all the macros in the repo to use as building blocks. Before wrapping up I'll write up a summary future work suggestions.

# Integrating with reference managers

Mendeley have started work on integrating the editor to make the workflow nicer for their users. I'd like to invite other devs to take a look at the documentation I've started putting on github:

https://github.com/citation-style-editor/csl-editor/wiki

This is still WIP, and before finishing I will add more documentation to the source code too. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you want help understanding, or if you think anything should be changed.

# Future Maintenence

Currently the code is split into two repositories on github:

https://github.com/citation-style-editor/csl-editor - this is the core cslEditorLib library, with no code specific to one reference manager
https://github.com/citation-style-editor/csl-editor-demo-site - this is my reference implementation, which different implementors can fork and add their own customizations to integrate with their reference managers if they wish. It contains cslEditorLib as a git submodule.

Splitting it like this means everyone can benefit from improvements to the core cslEditorLib repository.

# My situation

I've got about 70 hours of contracted work left on this, which I'll stretch out over the next three weeks. After that I'll continue to do a bit in my free time to help maintain it, and will keep my hosted version of the site up for as long as it's useful and not too much of a burden, or until it gets superseded by another ref-manager agnostic version.

Steve

Re: CSL editor update

Bruce D'Arcus-3
Thanks for the update, and the work, Steve.

In the realm of "stuff everyone needs to think about and work on" (not a critique of your work per se), I still think this is an example that needs to be MUCH simpler. One-click installs please. Hopefully we'll see some rigorous forking of your repo!

Inline image 1

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 11:09 AM, Steve Ridout <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The CSL editor project is getting very close to finishing now. As such, the
> current features won't change much now within this specific
> Mendeley/Columbia project. You can try it here:
> http://steveridout.com/csl/about/
>
> I'm pretty happy with how it's gone, people are using it to create actual
> styles and I think it's a lot more inviting to newcomers than editing XML.
> At the same time there are a lot of ideas which couldn't be done due to lack
> of time. Some of these are 'risky' ideas where it's hard to know how well
> they'll work before building some prototypes. e.g. a wizard to build an
> initial style template, and a searchable database of all the macros in the
> repo to use as building blocks. Before wrapping up I'll write up a summary
> future work suggestions.
>
> # Integrating with reference managers
>
> Mendeley have started work on integrating the editor to make the workflow
> nicer for their users. I'd like to invite other devs to take a look at the
> documentation I've started putting on github:
>
> https://github.com/citation-style-editor/csl-editor/wiki
>
> This is still WIP, and before finishing I will add more documentation to the
> source code too. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you want help
> understanding, or if you think anything should be changed.
>
> # Future Maintenence
>
> Currently the code is split into two repositories on github:
>
> https://github.com/citation-style-editor/csl-editor - this is the core
> cslEditorLib library, with no code specific to one reference manager
> https://github.com/citation-style-editor/csl-editor-demo-site - this is my
> reference implementation, which different implementors can fork and add
> their own customizations to integrate with their reference managers if they
> wish. It contains cslEditorLib as a git submodule.
>
> Splitting it like this means everyone can benefit from improvements to the
> core cslEditorLib repository.
>
> # My situation
>
> I've got about 70 hours of contracted work left on this, which I'll stretch
> out over the next three weeks. After that I'll continue to do a bit in my
> free time to help maintain it, and will keep my hosted version of the site
> up for as long as it's useful and not too much of a burden, or until it gets
> superseded by another ref-manager agnostic version.
>
> Steve

Re: CSL editor update

Carles Pina
Hello,

On 5 September 2012 16:58, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the update, and the work, Steve.
>
> In the realm of "stuff everyone needs to think about and work on" (not a critique of your work per se), I still think this is an example that needs to be MUCH simpler.
> One-click installs please. Hopefully we'll see some rigorous forking of your repo!

This is a task for the reference managers. The csl-editor project
offers enough flexibility so $referenceManager can integrate nicely
(see https://github.com/citation-style-editor/csl-editor/wiki/Visual-Editor
, more and better documentation about how to integrate csl-editor with
$referenceManager to be written soon). We have a prototype here with
one click installs (when this will be public I'll send a note here).

Steve did a demoSite with the instructions that you have seen and as a
example of how to use the cslEditor.

Carles Pina | Software Engineer
http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/

Re: CSL editor update

Charles Parnot
I agree it makes more sense for the clients to do their own integration as they wish. It's quite a burden to place on the CSL editor developers, particularly if no easy integration is done on the client side, and particularly as the editor itself runs in the browser. So maybe instead Steve can let the clients know what's the best option for the editor to offer, e.g. a simple URL scheme? In the case of Papers, we have a number of avenues we can take advantage of,  like responding to a scheme like papers2://csl/file/path/to/csl/file, or papers2://csl/url/path/to/csl/url.

charles

On Sep 6, 2012, at 1:59 PM, Carles Pina <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On 5 September 2012 16:58, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the update, and the work, Steve.
>>
>> In the realm of "stuff everyone needs to think about and work on" (not a critique of your work per se), I still think this is an example that needs to be MUCH simpler.
>> One-click installs please. Hopefully we'll see some rigorous forking of your repo!
>

> This is a task for the reference managers. The csl-editor project
> offers enough flexibility so $referenceManager can integrate nicely
> (see https://github.com/citation-style-editor/csl-editor/wiki/Visual-Editor
> , more and better documentation about how to integrate csl-editor with
> $referenceManager to be written soon). We have a prototype here with
> one click installs (when this will be public I'll send a note here).
>
> Steve did a demoSite with the instructions that you have seen and as a
> example of how to use the cslEditor.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Carles Pina | Software Engineer
> http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/
>
> Mendeley Limited | London, UK | www.mendeley.com
> Registered in England and Wales | Company Number 6419015

Re: CSL editor update

Robert Knight
> In the case of Papers, we have a number of avenues we can take advantage of,
> like responding to a scheme like papers2://csl/file/path/to/csl/file, or papers2://csl/url/path/to/csl/url.

That is what we're doing, using a mendeley:// URL.  We also have a
facility to import styles into the app by pasting a style link (the
style URI) into a box.

Regards,
Rob.

On 6 September 2012 13:10, Charles Parnot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree it makes more sense for the clients to do their own integration as they wish. It's quite a burden to place on the CSL editor developers, particularly if no easy integration is done on the client side, and particularly as the editor itself runs in the browser. So maybe instead Steve can let the clients know what's the best option for the editor to offer, e.g. a simple URL scheme? In the case of Papers, we have a number of avenues we can take advantage of,  like responding to a scheme like papers2://csl/file/path/to/csl/file, or papers2://csl/url/path/to/csl/url.
>
> charles
>
> On Sep 6, 2012, at 1:59 PM, Carles Pina <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> On 5 September 2012 16:58, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for the update, and the work, Steve.
>>>
>>> In the realm of "stuff everyone needs to think about and work on" (not a critique of your work per se), I still think this is an example that needs to be MUCH simpler.
>>> One-click installs please. Hopefully we'll see some rigorous forking of your repo!
>>

>> This is a task for the reference managers. The csl-editor project
>> offers enough flexibility so $referenceManager can integrate nicely
>> (see https://github.com/citation-style-editor/csl-editor/wiki/Visual-Editor
>> , more and better documentation about how to integrate csl-editor with
>> $referenceManager to be written soon). We have a prototype here with
>> one click installs (when this will be public I'll send a note here).
>>
>> Steve did a demoSite with the instructions that you have seen and as a
>> example of how to use the cslEditor.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Carles Pina | Software Engineer
>> http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/
>>
>> Mendeley Limited | London, UK | www.mendeley.com
>> Registered in England and Wales | Company Number 6419015

> Charles Parnot
> [hidden email]
> twitter: @cparnot
> http://mekentosj.com

Re: CSL editor update

Steve Ridout-2
On 6 September 2012 14:10, Charles Parnot <[hidden email]> wrote:
I agree it makes more sense for the clients to do their own integration as they wish. It's quite a burden to place on the CSL editor developers, particularly if no easy integration is done on the client side, and particularly as the editor itself runs in the browser. So maybe instead Steve can let the clients know what's the best option for the editor to offer, e.g. a simple URL scheme? In the case of Papers, we have a number of avenues we can take advantage of,  like responding to a scheme like papers2://csl/file/path/to/csl/file, or papers2://csl/url/path/to/csl/url.

charles

Sorry for the delay responding.

I doubt the papers2://csl/file/... scheme will be useful in this case since saving to the hard drive from a browser is tricky. I used a flash based plugin called downloadify which requires the user to specify the destination file path. Saving via pure javascript possible in Chrome but only to a sandboxed file system (http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/file/filesystem/) - if you could get the actual file path this would be OK, but I don't think you can.

To use a papers2://csl/url/.. request you'll want to add some code to store the style on your server first. I've kept the demo site server pretty much stateless to keep things simple so I'm afraid I can't much help with this. I'm leaving it to the ref manager devs to override the load and save functions to get styles in and out of the editor which you should be able to do by following the documentation here: https://github.com/citation-style-editor/csl-editor/wiki. If there's anything in the core library that stops you doing what you want, or that you don't understand, please let me know.

Another option is passing the whole style in a data URI, e.g. papers2://csl/url/$CSL_DATA_URI . It would be easy to add links like this to the demo site for all the ref managers actually. If something like this would work, let me know and I'll add it.

(Note: In Firefox I tried installing a style to Zotero using data:text/x-csl;base64,$ENCODED_CSL but it only worked for trivially small styles. The confirm dialog goes pure black for real styles, perhaps because it's trying to display the whole URL.)

Steve

On Sep 6, 2012, at 1:59 PM, Carles Pina <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On 5 September 2012 16:58, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the update, and the work, Steve.
>>
>> In the realm of "stuff everyone needs to think about and work on" (not a critique of your work per se), I still think this is an example that needs to be MUCH simpler.
>> One-click installs please. Hopefully we'll see some rigorous forking of your repo!
>

> This is a task for the reference managers. The csl-editor project
> offers enough flexibility so $referenceManager can integrate nicely
> (see https://github.com/citation-style-editor/csl-editor/wiki/Visual-Editor
> , more and better documentation about how to integrate csl-editor with
> $referenceManager to be written soon). We have a prototype here with
> one click installs (when this will be public I'll send a note here).
>
> Steve did a demoSite with the instructions that you have seen and as a
> example of how to use the cslEditor.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Carles Pina | Software Engineer
> http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/
>
> Mendeley Limited | London, UK | www.mendeley.com
> Registered in England and Wales | Company Number 6419015

Re: CSL editor update

Bruce D'Arcus-3

What about doing as zotero does: serving the file with a special mime (?) type?

On Sep 13, 2012 12:51 PM, "Steve Ridout" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> $referenceManager to be written soon). We have a prototype here with
> one click installs (when this will be public I'll send a note here).
>
> Steve did a demoSite with the instructions that you have seen and as a
> example of how to use the cslEditor.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Carles Pina | Software Engineer
> http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/
>
> Mendeley Limited | London, UK | www.mendeley.com
> Registered in England and Wales | Company Number 6419015

Re: CSL editor update

Robert Knight
> I doubt the papers2://csl/file/... scheme will be useful in this case since saving to the hard drive from a browser is tricky.
> I used a flash based plugin called downloadify which requires the user to specify the destination file path.

In Mendeley we only support mendeley:// links that include a URL for
the style, where the URL is usually the style ID.
This is useful since the app can then fetch updates for the style
using only the information in the style itself.

An important caveat with custom URL scheme handlers not implemented by
browser extensions is that
the UX varies across browsers.  Google Chrome has a pretty scary
dialog in particular.

> What about doing as zotero does: serving the file with a special mime (?) type?

You mean serving the style as an ordinary file download and
registering the app as a handler for the CSL mime type or .csl
extension?
I think that would be a more dependable approach.

Regards,
Rob.

On 13 September 2012 17:51, Steve Ridout <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > , more and better documentation about how to integrate csl-editor with
>> > $referenceManager to be written soon). We have a prototype here with
>> > one click installs (when this will be public I'll send a note here).
>> >
>> > Steve did a demoSite with the instructions that you have seen and as a
>> > example of how to use the cslEditor.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > --
>> > Carles Pina | Software Engineer
>> > http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/
>> >
>> > Mendeley Limited | London, UK | www.mendeley.com
>> > Registered in England and Wales | Company Number 6419015

>> > Live Security Virtual Conference
>> > Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and
>> > threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond.
>> > Discussions
>> > will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in

Re: CSL editor update

Steve Ridout-2
I've tried this for Zotero using a data URI with the "text/x-csl" mime type and it works but only for trivially small styles apparently due to a bug in the confirm dialog.

(I was trying a data URI since I don't want to write styles to my server, but any of the ref managers can host their own version of the editor and make it store styles if they want, like Mendeley is doing. I'm just considering this to improve the demo site in the meantime)

On 13 September 2012 19:01, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>> One-click installs please. Hopefully we'll see some rigorous forking of your repo!
>

> This is a task for the reference managers. The csl-editor project
> offers enough flexibility so $referenceManager can integrate nicely
> (see https://github.com/citation-style-editor/csl-editor/wiki/Visual-Editor
> , more and better documentation about how to integrate csl-editor with
> $referenceManager to be written soon). We have a prototype here with
> one click installs (when this will be public I'll send a note here).
>
> Steve did a demoSite with the instructions that you have seen and as a
> example of how to use the cslEditor.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Carles Pina | Software Engineer
> http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/
>
> Mendeley Limited | London, UK | www.mendeley.com
> Registered in England and Wales | Company Number 6419015

Dan Stillman
On 9/13/12 1:01 PM, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> What about doing as zotero does: serving the file with a special mime
> (?) type?

Then it's just up to the browser. The reason Zotero can intercept such
files is because it's a browser extension. Some browsers allow
associating external programs based on content type—optionally without
confirmation—but that will work only once the user sets it up the first
time. Other browsers don't support that: Safari, as far as I know,
doesn't have external helper app functionality, just a "'safe' files"
list embedded in a plist somewhere. If the ref manager is registered
with the system for the content type or file extension, browsers that do
support external helper app functionality might offer it as the default
choice.

While we're on the subject, though, we should agree on a different
content type for .csl files. Among other things, Safari (and possibly
other browsers) will display "text/*" types rather than downloading
them.*  "x-" is also considered bad practice these days.
application/vnd.citationstyles.style? Zotero is using
application/vnd.citationstyles.csl+json for CSL JSON data.

* Downloading isn't as nice as auto-import or external helper app
functionality, but it's better than displaying in the browser. At least
users can then double-click the downloaded file to open it in a properly
registered reference manager.

Re: CSL editor update

Dan Stillman
On 9/13/12 12:51 PM, Steve Ridout wrote:
> (Note: In Firefox I tried installing a style to Zotero using
> data:text/x-csl;base64,$ENCODED_CSL but it only worked for trivially
> small styles. The confirm dialog goes pure black for real styles,
> perhaps because it's trying to display the whole URL.)

We'll fix this—thanks. (I'd guess that it would work if you hit Return,
though. It does for me in Firefox.)

Re: CSL editor update

Thanks for all the info, Steve.

I see now that indeed, a URL scheme won't help much. In any case, could I ask you one last favor, then, in the current version? We have changed things so that one can simply save a '.csl' file and then drag it into Papers. Could you thus change the text to:

Use the above button to save your .csl file to the 'Styles' subfolder within your Papers2 library folder. <a href="http://support.mekentosj.com/kb/pro-tips/pro-tip-adding-additional-citation-styles">More info.</a>

Note that I have also included a better URL for the link.

Thanks again very much for the hard word, the CSL editor has turned into a very useful tool.

Best wishes,

Charles

On Sep 13, 2012, at 6:51 PM, Steve Ridout <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> One-click installs please. Hopefully we'll see some rigorous forking of your repo!
> >

> > This is a task for the reference managers. The csl-editor project
> > offers enough flexibility so $referenceManager can integrate nicely
> > (see https://github.com/citation-style-editor/csl-editor/wiki/Visual-Editor
> > , more and better documentation about how to integrate csl-editor with
> > $referenceManager to be written soon). We have a prototype here with
> > one click installs (when this will be public I'll send a note here).
> >
> > Steve did a demoSite with the instructions that you have seen and as a
> > example of how to use the cslEditor.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > --
> > Carles Pina | Software Engineer
> > http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/
> >
> > Mendeley Limited | London, UK | www.mendeley.com
> > Registered in England and Wales | Company Number 6419015

CSL style content type (was: CSL editor update)

Dan Stillman
On 9/13/12 1:26 PM, Dan Stillman wrote:
While we're on the subject, though, we should agree on a different
content type for .csl files. Among other things, Safari (and possibly
other browsers) will display "text/*" types rather than downloading
them.*  "x-" is also considered bad practice these days.
application/vnd.citationstyles.style? Zotero is using
application/vnd.citationstyles.csl+json for CSL JSON data.

It could also be application/vnd.citationstyles.style+xml, since RFC3023 recommends the use of "+xml" for XML-based media types. I don't think there's much to be gained from that, but there's also no particular reason not to do it.

From http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3023.txt:
A.15 Why must I use the '+xml' suffix for my new XML-based media type?

   You don't have to, but unless you have a good reason to explicitly
   disallow generic XML processing, you should use the suffix so as not
   to curtail the options of future users and developers.

   Whether the inventors of a media type, today, design it for dispatch
   to generic XML processing machinery (and most won't) is not the
   critical issue.  The core notion is that the knowledge that some
   media type happens to use XML syntax opens the door to unanticipated
   kinds of processing beyond those envisioned by its inventors, and on
   this basis identifying such encoding is a good and useful thing.

   Developers of new media types are often tightly focused on a
   particular type of processing that meets current needs.  But there is
   no need to rule out generic processing as well, which could make your
   media type more valuable over time.  It is believed that registering
   with the '+xml' suffix will cause no interoperability problems
   whatsoever, while it may enable significant new functionality and
   interoperability now and in the future.  So, the conservative
   approach is to include the '+xml' suffix.

I don't have a strong preference here.

Re: CSL style content type (was: CSL editor update)

Bruce D'Arcus-3
On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Dan Stillman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9/13/12 1:26 PM, Dan Stillman wrote:
>
> While we're on the subject, though, we should agree on a different
> content type for .csl files. Among other things, Safari (and possibly
> other browsers) will display "text/*" types rather than downloading
> them.*  "x-" is also considered bad practice these days.
> application/vnd.citationstyles.style? Zotero is using
> application/vnd.citationstyles.csl+json for CSL JSON data.
>

> It could also be application/vnd.citationstyles.style+xml,

I say we go with this.

Bruce

> since RFC3023
> recommends the use of "+xml" for XML-based media types. I don't think
> there's much to be gained from that, but there's also no particular reason
> not to do it.
>
> From http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3023.txt:
>
> A.15 Why must I use the '+xml' suffix for my new XML-based media type?
>
>    You don't have to, but unless you have a good reason to explicitly
>    disallow generic XML processing, you should use the suffix so as not
>    to curtail the options of future users and developers.
>
>    Whether the inventors of a media type, today, design it for dispatch
>    to generic XML processing machinery (and most won't) is not the
>    critical issue.  The core notion is that the knowledge that some
>    media type happens to use XML syntax opens the door to unanticipated
>    kinds of processing beyond those envisioned by its inventors, and on
>    this basis identifying such encoding is a good and useful thing.
>
>    Developers of new media types are often tightly focused on a
>    particular type of processing that meets current needs.  But there is
>    no need to rule out generic processing as well, which could make your
>    media type more valuable over time.  It is believed that registering
>    with the '+xml' suffix will cause no interoperability problems
>    whatsoever, while it may enable significant new functionality and
>    interoperability now and in the future.  So, the conservative
>    approach is to include the '+xml' suffix.
>

> I don't have a strong preference here.

Re: CSL style content type (was: CSL editor update)

Charles Parnot
Nice. It's too bad we can't get github to serve specific mime types for raw files:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3537575/can-git-store-the-mime-type-of-a-file-like-svn-does-for-browsing-html

charles

On Sep 13, 2012, at 8:15 PM, "Bruce D'Arcus" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Dan Stillman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 9/13/12 1:26 PM, Dan Stillman wrote:
>>
>> While we're on the subject, though, we should agree on a different
>> content type for .csl files. Among other things, Safari (and possibly
>> other browsers) will display "text/*" types rather than downloading
>> them.*  "x-" is also considered bad practice these days.
>> application/vnd.citationstyles.style? Zotero is using
>> application/vnd.citationstyles.csl+json for CSL JSON data.
>>

>> It could also be application/vnd.citationstyles.style+xml,
>
> I say we go with this.
>
> Bruce
>
>> since RFC3023
>> recommends the use of "+xml" for XML-based media types. I don't think
>> there's much to be gained from that, but there's also no particular reason
>> not to do it.
>>
>> From http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3023.txt:
>>
>> A.15 Why must I use the '+xml' suffix for my new XML-based media type?
>>
>>   You don't have to, but unless you have a good reason to explicitly
>>   disallow generic XML processing, you should use the suffix so as not
>>   to curtail the options of future users and developers.
>>
>>   Whether the inventors of a media type, today, design it for dispatch
>>   to generic XML processing machinery (and most won't) is not the
>>   critical issue.  The core notion is that the knowledge that some
>>   media type happens to use XML syntax opens the door to unanticipated
>>   kinds of processing beyond those envisioned by its inventors, and on
>>   this basis identifying such encoding is a good and useful thing.
>>
>>   Developers of new media types are often tightly focused on a
>>   particular type of processing that meets current needs.  But there is
>>   no need to rule out generic processing as well, which could make your
>>   media type more valuable over time.  It is believed that registering
>>   with the '+xml' suffix will cause no interoperability problems
>>   whatsoever, while it may enable significant new functionality and
>>   interoperability now and in the future.  So, the conservative
>>   approach is to include the '+xml' suffix.
>>

>> I don't have a strong preference here.

Re: CSL style content type (was: CSL editor update)

Bruce D'Arcus-3
Does that really present any practical problems here though? We use
the csl. extension for the style files, which servers can use to
associate the correct mimetype with.

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 2:19 PM, Charles Parnot
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nice. It's too bad we can't get github to serve specific mime types for raw files:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3537575/can-git-store-the-mime-type-of-a-file-like-svn-does-for-browsing-html
>
> charles
>
> On Sep 13, 2012, at 8:15 PM, "Bruce D'Arcus" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Dan Stillman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> On 9/13/12 1:26 PM, Dan Stillman wrote:
>>>
>>> While we're on the subject, though, we should agree on a different
>>> content type for .csl files. Among other things, Safari (and possibly
>>> other browsers) will display "text/*" types rather than downloading
>>> them.*  "x-" is also considered bad practice these days.
>>> application/vnd.citationstyles.style? Zotero is using
>>> application/vnd.citationstyles.csl+json for CSL JSON data.
>>>

>>> It could also be application/vnd.citationstyles.style+xml,
>>
>> I say we go with this.
>>
>> Bruce
>>
>>> since RFC3023
>>> recommends the use of "+xml" for XML-based media types. I don't think
>>> there's much to be gained from that, but there's also no particular reason
>>> not to do it.
>>>
>>> From http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3023.txt:
>>>
>>> A.15 Why must I use the '+xml' suffix for my new XML-based media type?
>>>
>>>   You don't have to, but unless you have a good reason to explicitly
>>>   disallow generic XML processing, you should use the suffix so as not
>>>   to curtail the options of future users and developers.
>>>
>>>   Whether the inventors of a media type, today, design it for dispatch
>>>   to generic XML processing machinery (and most won't) is not the
>>>   critical issue.  The core notion is that the knowledge that some
>>>   media type happens to use XML syntax opens the door to unanticipated
>>>   kinds of processing beyond those envisioned by its inventors, and on
>>>   this basis identifying such encoding is a good and useful thing.
>>>
>>>   Developers of new media types are often tightly focused on a
>>>   particular type of processing that meets current needs.  But there is
>>>   no need to rule out generic processing as well, which could make your
>>>   media type more valuable over time.  It is believed that registering
>>>   with the '+xml' suffix will cause no interoperability problems
>>>   whatsoever, while it may enable significant new functionality and
>>>   interoperability now and in the future.  So, the conservative
>>>   approach is to include the '+xml' suffix.
>>>

>>> I don't have a strong preference here.

> Charles Parnot
> [hidden email]
> twitter: @cparnot
> http://mekentosj.com

Re: CSL style content type (was: CSL editor update)

Charles Parnot
Ah, yes, that was a bit mysterious, sorry. I meant it would be because it would hopefully prevent Safari from adding a '.txt' extension when saving the file (and maybe would even directly download it instead of displaying it). It makes it a bit easier for adventurous users that find a style on the repository.

Charles

On Sep 13, 2012, at 8:30 PM, "Bruce D'Arcus" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does that really present any practical problems here though? We use
> the csl. extension for the style files, which servers can use to
> associate the correct mimetype with.
>
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 2:19 PM, Charles Parnot
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Nice. It's too bad we can't get github to serve specific mime types for raw files:
>>
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3537575/can-git-store-the-mime-type-of-a-file-like-svn-does-for-browsing-html
>>
>> charles

>>> I say we go with this.
>>>
>>> Bruce

>> Charles Parnot
>> [hidden email]
>> twitter: @cparnot
>> http://mekentosj.com

Re: CSL editor update

Steve Ridout-2
On 13 September 2012 20:08, Charles Parnot <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for all the info, Steve.

I see now that indeed, a URL scheme won't help much. In any case, could I ask you one last favor, then, in the current version? We have changed things so that one can simply save a '.csl' file and then drag it into Papers. Could you thus change the text to:

Use the above button to save your .csl file to the 'Styles' subfolder within your Papers2 library folder. <a href="http://support.mekentosj.com/kb/pro-tips/pro-tip-adding-additional-citation-styles">More info.</a>

Note that I have also included a better URL for the link.

Thanks, I've altered it, it'll go into the next release.

> [...]

> > (see https://github.com/citation-style-editor/csl-editor/wiki/Visual-Editor
> > , more and better documentation about how to integrate csl-editor with
> > $referenceManager to be written soon). We have a prototype here with
> > one click installs (when this will be public I'll send a note here).
> >
> > Steve did a demoSite with the instructions that you have seen and as a
> > example of how to use the cslEditor.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > --
> > Carles Pina | Software Engineer
> > http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/
> >
> > Mendeley Limited | London, UK | www.mendeley.com
> > Registered in England and Wales | Company Number 6419015

> Charles Parnot
> [hidden email]
> twitter: @cparnot
> http://mekentosj.com

Re: CSL style content type (was: CSL editor update)

Hi all,

I ran into an issue the other day with validator.nu, which didn't
accept the (deprecated) text/x-csl MIME content type of an uploaded
CSL style. (see https://github.com/validator/validator/issues/30 and
https://github.com/zotero/zotero-standalone-build/issues/36)

Dan suggested in 2012 to switch to
"application/vnd.citationstyles.style+xml", and has been using this
content type for the Zotero Style Repository for quite a while now.
Unless there are any objections, I would like to register this content
type at http://www.iana.org/form/media-types, and make it the official
content type for CSL styles.

Somewhat related is this thread,
http://xbiblio-devel.2463403.n2.nabble.com/CSL-editor-update-td7578209.html,
where Dan mentions that Zotero uses
"application/vnd.citationstyles.csl+json" for CSL JSON, which we might
want to register at a later date.

Rintze

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 2:15 PM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Dan Stillman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 9/13/12 1:26 PM, Dan Stillman wrote:
>>
>> While we're on the subject, though, we should agree on a different
>> content type for .csl files. Among other things, Safari (and possibly
>> other browsers) will display "text/*" types rather than downloading
>> them.*  "x-" is also considered bad practice these days.
>> application/vnd.citationstyles.style? Zotero is using
>> application/vnd.citationstyles.csl+json for CSL JSON data.
>>

>> It could also be application/vnd.citationstyles.style+xml,
>
> I say we go with this.

Re: CSL style content type (was: CSL editor update)

application/vnd.citationstyles.style+xml is now registered for use
with CSL styles:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/application/vnd.citationstyles.style+xml

Rintze