CSL editor update

Steve Ridout-2
I've just updated some of the CSL editor dependencies to their latest versions:

- locales
- styles
- citeproc-js

There a few other minor changes too and the updated version is live at http://editor.citationstyles.org. Please keep an eye out for any unintended breakages and let me know via github issues.

Steve

PS: I'm still hoping that someone else will take over responsibility for future maintenance and development of the editor. I'm no longer in academia, and no longer create reference manager software, so it would be great to see it evolve in the hands of someone more suitable. I'm very willing to help out if anyone needs help finding their way around the code, assuming I can still remember how it works!

Re: CSL editor update

Bruce D'Arcus-3
Thanks Steve!

Anyone here willing to take over the editor project? If not, any
thoughts on how to find someone?

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 8:58 AM, Steve Ridout <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've just updated some of the CSL editor dependencies to their latest
> versions:
>
> - locales
> - styles
> - citeproc-js
>
> There a few other minor changes too and the updated version is live at
> http://editor.citationstyles.org. Please keep an eye out for any unintended
> breakages and let me know via github issues.
>
> Steve
>
> PS: I'm still hoping that someone else will take over responsibility for
> future maintenance and development of the editor. I'm no longer in academia,
> and no longer create reference manager software, so it would be great to see
> it evolve in the hands of someone more suitable. I'm very willing to help
> out if anyone needs help finding their way around the code, assuming I can
> still remember how it works!

Re: CSL editor update

Thanks, Steve. By the way, I'm always a bit confused about the exact
relationship between the
https://github.com/citation-style-editor/csl-editor and
https://github.com/citation-style-editor/csl-editor-demo-site
repositories, and the live versions at
http://editor.citationstyles.org/ and http://csl.mendeley.com/ . Could
you give a brief explanation? Are there any differences between the
versions at the two domains? And what is the current workflow to
deploy at http://editor.citationstyles.org/ ?

Rintze

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 8:58 AM, Steve Ridout <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've just updated some of the CSL editor dependencies to their latest
> versions:
>
> - locales
> - styles
> - citeproc-js
>
> There a few other minor changes too and the updated version is live at
> http://editor.citationstyles.org. Please keep an eye out for any unintended
> breakages and let me know via github issues.
>
> Steve
>
> PS: I'm still hoping that someone else will take over responsibility for
> future maintenance and development of the editor. I'm no longer in academia,
> and no longer create reference manager software, so it would be great to see
> it evolve in the hands of someone more suitable. I'm very willing to help
> out if anyone needs help finding their way around the code, assuming I can
> still remember how it works!

Re: CSL editor update

Steve Ridout-2
I know it's a bit confusing, I'll try to explain.

# The Different Repos

The motivation for having different repos was that different ref-managers or clients should be able to share common code, but also be able to customise their instance to work within their own websites or applications. So we have:

- The vast majority of code is here
- Load and Save style functions *not* provided, this is up to the specific instance to implement
- All ref-manager instances should use and contribute back to this
- No reference manager specific code allowed!

- The instance hosted by github pages at http://editor.citationstyles.org
- Contains the Core Library as a git submodule
- Adds the top navigation bar and /about page
- Code to load and save styles to disk
- Script to deploy to github pages
- Intended to be forked by others and changed completely to suit their needs

## Mendeley Instance - http://csl.mendeley.com/about/

- Forked from the csl-editor-demo-site
- Contains the Core Library as a git submodule
- Code to authorise and load/save styles to Mendeley's web service
- Ask Carles for more info

# Deployment

1. If you alter the core library https://github.com/citation-style-editor/csl-editor, you may need to re-convert the schema files and re-generate the example citations. To do this, you'll need node.js and it's package manager npm installed, and then you simply run ./configure.sh
It takes a good few minutes to generate all the example citations, but results of the configure are committed to the repo here: https://github.com/citation-style-editor/csl-editor/tree/master/generated so you'll only need to reconfigure if you actually change the schema, or anything affecting the example citations.

(you'll have to be a member of the github organisation to do this: https://github.com/citation-style-editor - ask myself or Carles if you want to join)

On 13 September 2013 15:08, Rintze Zelle <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks, Steve. By the way, I'm always a bit confused about the exact
relationship between the
https://github.com/citation-style-editor/csl-editor and
https://github.com/citation-style-editor/csl-editor-demo-site
repositories, and the live versions at
http://editor.citationstyles.org/ and http://csl.mendeley.com/ . Could
you give a brief explanation? Are there any differences between the
versions at the two domains? And what is the current workflow to
deploy at http://editor.citationstyles.org/ ?

Rintze

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 8:58 AM, Steve Ridout <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've just updated some of the CSL editor dependencies to their latest
> versions:
>
> - locales
> - styles
> - citeproc-js
>
> There a few other minor changes too and the updated version is live at
> http://editor.citationstyles.org. Please keep an eye out for any unintended
> breakages and let me know via github issues.
>
> Steve
>
> PS: I'm still hoping that someone else will take over responsibility for
> future maintenance and development of the editor. I'm no longer in academia,
> and no longer create reference manager software, so it would be great to see
> it evolve in the hands of someone more suitable. I'm very willing to help
> out if anyone needs help finding their way around the code, assuming I can
> still remember how it works!

Re: CSL editor update

Bruce D'Arcus-3
So how about Mendeley taking responsibility for maintaining the repos/projects?

;-)