CSL in production chains?

fbennett
I have received a query about the use of CSL in production chains.

Does anyone know of publishers or publishing projects that encourage
or require the use of CSL tools?

(I checked the FAQ on http://citationstyles.org/faq and came up dry,
but maybe there have been developments since the last revision of the
page?)

Re: CSL in production chains?

Bruce D'Arcus-3
Is it even feasible to do that? I doubt it, since documents aren't
portable (they've have to mandate use of Zotero, or Mendeley).

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 7:01 PM, Frank Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have received a query about the use of CSL in production chains.
>
> Does anyone know of publishers or publishing projects that encourage
> or require the use of CSL tools?
>
> (I checked the FAQ on http://citationstyles.org/faq and came up dry,
> but maybe there have been developments since the last revision of the
> page?)
>
> Frank

Re: CSL in production chains?

fbennett
On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 8:06 AM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is it even feasible to do that? I doubt it, since documents aren't
> portable (they've have to mandate use of Zotero, or Mendeley).

The specific use case is legal publication, which would indeed require
a specific tool (MLZ).

Apart from initial manuscript preparation, CSL might be used by
editors themselves to normalise citations and produce embedded
citation data. We'd be interested in that experience as well, if it's
out there.

> On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 7:01 PM, Frank Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have received a query about the use of CSL in production chains.
>>
>> Does anyone know of publishers or publishing projects that encourage
>> or require the use of CSL tools?
>>
>> (I checked the FAQ on http://citationstyles.org/faq and came up dry,
>> but maybe there have been developments since the last revision of the
>> page?)
>>
>> Frank

Re: CSL in production chains?

Robert Knight
Hello Frank,

We've had one or two inquiries from publishers who have created CSL
styles on how to make them available
to Mendeley users - I'll have to check on the details.

This is about making it easier for users to create suitably formatted
citations in word processor documents rather than
using CSL on the production side of things though.

> I doubt it, since documents aren't
> portable (they've have to mandate use of Zotero, or Mendeley)

Mendeley and Zotero* at least embed full citation data using a
documented schema in Word documents -
which could potentially be quite useful for compiling citation lists.

Regards,
Rob.

* Last I looked, I think this is optional in Zotero?

On 17 October 2012 00:22, Frank Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 8:06 AM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Is it even feasible to do that? I doubt it, since documents aren't
>> portable (they've have to mandate use of Zotero, or Mendeley).
>
> The specific use case is legal publication, which would indeed require
> a specific tool (MLZ).
>
> Apart from initial manuscript preparation, CSL might be used by
> editors themselves to normalise citations and produce embedded
> citation data. We'd be interested in that experience as well, if it's
> out there.
>

>> On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 7:01 PM, Frank Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I have received a query about the use of CSL in production chains.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of publishers or publishing projects that encourage
>>> or require the use of CSL tools?
>>>
>>> (I checked the FAQ on http://citationstyles.org/faq and came up dry,
>>> but maybe there have been developments since the last revision of the
>>> page?)
>>>
>>> Frank

Re: CSL in production chains?

fbennett
On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 5:38 PM, Robert Knight
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Frank,
>
> We've had one or two inquiries from publishers who have created CSL
> styles on how to make them available
> to Mendeley users - I'll have to check on the details.
>
> This is about making it easier for users to create suitably formatted
> citations in word processor documents rather than
> using CSL on the production side of things though.
>
>> I doubt it, since documents aren't
>> portable (they've have to mandate use of Zotero, or Mendeley)
>
> Mendeley and Zotero* at least embed full citation data using a
> documented schema in Word documents -
> which could potentially be quite useful for compiling citation lists.
>
> Regards,
> Rob.
>
> * Last I looked, I think this is optional in Zotero?

Yes, it's an option (enabled by default IIRC).

The query I've had relates to legal styles, which can be a terrible
pain to proof even for an experienced editor; the aim would mostly be
to save time for author, editor or both through automation. (As you
say, though, having structured cite data in the document opens up
interesting possibilities as well.)

Frank

> On 17 October 2012 00:22, Frank Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 8:06 AM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Is it even feasible to do that? I doubt it, since documents aren't
>>> portable (they've have to mandate use of Zotero, or Mendeley).
>>
>> The specific use case is legal publication, which would indeed require
>> a specific tool (MLZ).
>>
>> Apart from initial manuscript preparation, CSL might be used by
>> editors themselves to normalise citations and produce embedded
>> citation data. We'd be interested in that experience as well, if it's
>> out there.

Re: CSL in production chains?

Robert Knight
Hello Frank,

> The query I've had relates to legal styles, which can be a
> terrible pain to proof even for an experienced editor; the aim would
> mostly be to save time for author, editor or both through automation

Do the works being cited here usually have an identifier (eg. DOI)
that would allow
verifying the metadata?

Regards,
Rob.

On 17 October 2012 09:56, Frank Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 5:38 PM, Robert Knight
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello Frank,
>>
>> We've had one or two inquiries from publishers who have created CSL
>> styles on how to make them available
>> to Mendeley users - I'll have to check on the details.
>>
>> This is about making it easier for users to create suitably formatted
>> citations in word processor documents rather than
>> using CSL on the production side of things though.
>>
>>> I doubt it, since documents aren't
>>> portable (they've have to mandate use of Zotero, or Mendeley)
>>
>> Mendeley and Zotero* at least embed full citation data using a
>> documented schema in Word documents -
>> which could potentially be quite useful for compiling citation lists.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Rob.
>>
>> * Last I looked, I think this is optional in Zotero?
>
> Yes, it's an option (enabled by default IIRC).
>
> The query I've had relates to legal styles, which can be a terrible
> pain to proof even for an experienced editor; the aim would mostly be
> to save time for author, editor or both through automation. (As you
> say, though, having structured cite data in the document opens up
> interesting possibilities as well.)
>
> Frank

>>> The specific use case is legal publication, which would indeed require
>>> a specific tool (MLZ).
>>>
>>> Apart from initial manuscript preparation, CSL might be used by
>>> editors themselves to normalise citations and produce embedded
>>> citation data. We'd be interested in that experience as well, if it's
>>> out there.

Re: CSL in production chains?

fbennett
On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 6:29 PM, Robert Knight
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Frank,
>
>> The query I've had relates to legal styles, which can be a
>> terrible pain to proof even for an experienced editor; the aim would
>> mostly be to save time for author, editor or both through automation
>
> Do the works being cited here usually have an identifier (eg. DOI)
> that would allow
> verifying the metadata?
>
> Regards,
> Rob.

Funny you should ask. None of the commercial legal information
providers in the US market provide structured metadata of any kind in
their pages, and there are no unique identifiers (yet) for court
judgements. That could change in the near future, but not for legacy
material. The national information infrastructure for law is still
astonishingly 1980's for the most part.