Quantcast

CSL sytles graphic

Carles Pina
Hi,

Some weeks or months ago I generated a "static" graphic of the number
of the styles in the CSL repo (it was a script that generated a CSV
and then I had to import into LibreOffice, etc.).

Today is hackday day here at Mendeley and I've done a better version:
http://pinux.info/csls_counter/

So, everyday, a 1:20am British time, it will regenerate the graph.

You can see the constant work of Rintze and Sebastian and also the
pushes from Charles Parnott :-) (I hope to be able to do some other
big push as mentioned some days ago).

If you wish something else there let me know!

Ah, the script generates a static .CSV file and a Javascript library
uses it. So this could be pushed to some other place if we wished.

Carles Pina | Software Engineer
http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/

Re: CSL sytles graphic

Bruce D'Arcus-3
Cool!

What's a "real" style? One that's non-dependent?

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 9:22 AM, Carles Pina <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Some weeks or months ago I generated a "static" graphic of the number
of the styles in the CSL repo (it was a script that generated a CSV
and then I had to import into LibreOffice, etc.).

Today is hackday day here at Mendeley and I've done a better version:
http://pinux.info/csls_counter/

So, everyday, a 1:20am British time, it will regenerate the graph.

You can see the constant work of Rintze and Sebastian and also the
pushes from Charles Parnott :-) (I hope to be able to do some other
big push as mentioned some days ago).

If you wish something else there let me know!

Ah, the script generates a static .CSV file and a Javascript library
uses it. So this could be pushed to some other place if we wished.

Carles Pina | Software Engineer
http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/

Re: CSL sytles graphic

Very nice, thanks for the work!

On Apr 19, 2013, at 3:22 PM, Carles Pina <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Some weeks or months ago I generated a "static" graphic of the number
> of the styles in the CSL repo (it was a script that generated a CSV
> and then I had to import into LibreOffice, etc.).
>
> Today is hackday day here at Mendeley and I've done a better version:
> http://pinux.info/csls_counter/
>
> So, everyday, a 1:20am British time, it will regenerate the graph.
>
> You can see the constant work of Rintze and Sebastian and also the
> pushes from Charles Parnott :-) (I hope to be able to do some other
> big push as mentioned some days ago).
>
> If you wish something else there let me know!
>
> Ah, the script generates a static .CSV file and a Javascript library
> uses it. So this could be pushed to some other place if we wished.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Carles Pina | Software Engineer
> http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/
>
> Mendeley Limited | London, UK | www.mendeley.com
> Registered in England and Wales | Company Number 6419015

Re: CSL sytles graphic

Carles Pina
Yes, by "real" I mean non-dependent.

Should I use "non-dependent" style?

Dependent styles are real too :-)

And "parent" style is not correct: maybe is not a parent (yet).

On 19 April 2013 14:42, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Cool!
>
> What's a "real" style? One that's non-dependent?
>

> On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 9:22 AM, Carles Pina <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Some weeks or months ago I generated a "static" graphic of the number
>> of the styles in the CSL repo (it was a script that generated a CSV
>> and then I had to import into LibreOffice, etc.).
>>
>> Today is hackday day here at Mendeley and I've done a better version:
>> http://pinux.info/csls_counter/
>>
>> So, everyday, a 1:20am British time, it will regenerate the graph.
>>
>> You can see the constant work of Rintze and Sebastian and also the
>> pushes from Charles Parnott :-) (I hope to be able to do some other
>> big push as mentioned some days ago).
>>
>> If you wish something else there let me know!
>>
>> Ah, the script generates a static .CSV file and a Javascript library
>> uses it. So this could be pushed to some other place if we wished.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Carles Pina | Software Engineer
>> http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/
>>
>> Mendeley Limited | London, UK | www.mendeley.com
>> Registered in England and Wales | Company Number 6419015

Carles Pina | Software Engineer
http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/

Re: CSL sytles graphic

Bruce D'Arcus-3
Not sure; maybe use the word "unique" in place of "real"? That's really what we're talking about.

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 10:03 AM, Carles Pina <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, by "real" I mean non-dependent.

Should I use "non-dependent" style?

Dependent styles are real too :-)

And "parent" style is not correct: maybe is not a parent (yet).

On 19 April 2013 14:42, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Cool!
>
> What's a "real" style? One that's non-dependent?
>

> On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 9:22 AM, Carles Pina <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Some weeks or months ago I generated a "static" graphic of the number
>> of the styles in the CSL repo (it was a script that generated a CSV
>> and then I had to import into LibreOffice, etc.).
>>
>> Today is hackday day here at Mendeley and I've done a better version:
>> http://pinux.info/csls_counter/
>>
>> So, everyday, a 1:20am British time, it will regenerate the graph.
>>
>> You can see the constant work of Rintze and Sebastian and also the
>> pushes from Charles Parnott :-) (I hope to be able to do some other
>> big push as mentioned some days ago).
>>
>> If you wish something else there let me know!
>>
>> Ah, the script generates a static .CSV file and a Javascript library
>> uses it. So this could be pushed to some other place if we wished.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Carles Pina | Software Engineer
>> http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/
>>
>> Mendeley Limited | London, UK | www.mendeley.com
>> Registered in England and Wales | Company Number 6419015

Carles Pina | Software Engineer
http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/

Re: CSL sytles graphic

Carles Pina
Changed real by unique. I think that strictly speaking should be
"dependent" and "non-dependent" but I don't like either. I left unique
and dependent.

On 19 April 2013 15:37, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not sure; maybe use the word "unique" in place of "real"? That's really what
> we're talking about.
>

> On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 10:03 AM, Carles Pina <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, by "real" I mean non-dependent.
>>
>> Should I use "non-dependent" style?
>>
>> Dependent styles are real too :-)
>>
>> And "parent" style is not correct: maybe is not a parent (yet).
>>

>> On 19 April 2013 14:42, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Cool!
>> >
>> > What's a "real" style? One that's non-dependent?

>> Carles Pina | Software Engineer
>> http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/
>>
>> Mendeley Limited | London, UK | www.mendeley.com
>> Registered in England and Wales | Company Number 6419015

Carles Pina | Software Engineer
http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/

Re: CSL sytles graphic

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 9:22 AM, Carles Pina <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If you wish something else there let me know!

I think it would be nice to have some more real-time statistics on the
style repository:

- total number of CSL styles
- unique styles
- dependent styles
- show which unique styles have the most dependents ( similar to
https://gist.github.com/rmzelle/5376426 ); in addition, perhaps we
could also make it possible to see which dependents are assigned to a
certain unique style
- show how many styles there are per locale

RIntze

Re: CSL sytles graphic

Carles Pina
Hi,

On 25 April 2013 18:50, Rintze Zelle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 9:22 AM, Carles Pina <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> If you wish something else there let me know!
>
> I think it would be nice to have some more real-time statistics on the
> style repository:
>
> - total number of CSL styles
> - unique styles
> - dependent styles

I added this yesterday:
http://pinux.info/csls_counter/

Total number of styles: 5810 (unique: 821)

Perhaps could be a bit nicer...

> - show which unique styles have the most dependents ( similar to
> https://gist.github.com/rmzelle/5376426 ); in addition, perhaps we
> could also make it possible to see which dependents are assigned to a
> certain unique style

I'll probably do when time permits (I accept Python code contributions
to help me :-) so I can integrate easily in my Python script)

> - show how many styles there are per locale

Good idea, I'll do.

Latest time: on the next Mendeley hackday (19th of May). Probably
before... it looks like it will be a rainy weekend in London :-)

I'll probably also push the script to generate this to github.

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 5:55 PM, Carles Pina <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'll probably also push the script to generate this to github.

If you do I might take a look. I already have Python scripts that
collect most the data I described.

Re: CSL sytles graphic

Carles Pina
Hi,

On 25 April 2013 23:25, Rintze Zelle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 5:55 PM, Carles Pina <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'll probably also push the script to generate this to github.
>
> If you do I might take a look. I already have Python scripts that
> collect most the data I described.

I've pushed quickly what I have:
https://github.com/cpina/csls-styles-report

Should be trivial to add things. This is running everyday (needs a git
pull) in my personal server but I'm happy to have it there (static
page, no maintenance mainly) (in some point this could be migrated,
either the script or the output...).

I'll add your (Rintze) github user as a collaborator so you could push
changes easily. I thought that maybe this could be part of the
utilities CSL repo and then do a partial checkout. I can move it at
some point.

Carles Pina | Software Engineer
http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/

Re: CSL sytles graphic

Charles Parnot
Would be need to make some output work with Panic's Status Board app :-)

On Apr 26, 2013, at 3:57 PM, Carles Pina <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On 25 April 2013 23:25, Rintze Zelle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 5:55 PM, Carles Pina <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I'll probably also push the script to generate this to github.
>>
>> If you do I might take a look. I already have Python scripts that
>> collect most the data I described.
>
> I've pushed quickly what I have:
> https://github.com/cpina/csls-styles-report
>
> Should be trivial to add things. This is running everyday (needs a git
> pull) in my personal server but I'm happy to have it there (static
> page, no maintenance mainly) (in some point this could be migrated,
> either the script or the output...).
>
> I'll add your (Rintze) github user as a collaborator so you could push
> changes easily. I thought that maybe this could be part of the
> utilities CSL repo and then do a partial checkout. I can move it at
> some point.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Carles Pina | Software Engineer
> http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/
>
> Mendeley Limited | London, UK | www.mendeley.com
> Registered in England and Wales | Company Number 6419015

Re: CSL sytles graphic

Sebastian Karcher
I have a long-ish blogpost up, inclusing a reference to Carles's graph
- I figured it'd be of interest to some of you:
http://zoteromusings.wordpress.com/2013/04/30/why-you-should-be-excited-there-are-6000-csl-styles/

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 8:44 AM, Charles Parnot
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Would be need to make some output work with Panic's Status Board app :-)
>

> On Apr 26, 2013, at 3:57 PM, Carles Pina <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,

>>> If you do I might take a look. I already have Python scripts that
>>> collect most the data I described.
>>
>> I've pushed quickly what I have:
>> https://github.com/cpina/csls-styles-report
>>
>> Should be trivial to add things. This is running everyday (needs a git
>> pull) in my personal server but I'm happy to have it there (static
>> page, no maintenance mainly) (in some point this could be migrated,
>> either the script or the output...).
>>
>> I'll add your (Rintze) github user as a collaborator so you could push
>> changes easily. I thought that maybe this could be part of the
>> utilities CSL repo and then do a partial checkout. I can move it at
>> some point.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Carles Pina | Software Engineer
>> http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/
>>
>> Mendeley Limited | London, UK | www.mendeley.com
>> Registered in England and Wales | Company Number 6419015

> Charles Parnot
> [hidden email]
> twitter: @cparnot
> http://mekentosj.com

Re: CSL sytles graphic

Carles Pina
Hi,

Not because you wrote it -William was already preparing a post about
CSL styles-:
http://blog.mendeley.com/academic-features/mendeley-contributes-2000-citation-styles-to-the-open-citation-style-repository-at-citationstyles-org

Ops, Rintze already commented there :-)

Regards,

On 1 May 2013 05:32, Sebastian Karcher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a long-ish blogpost up, inclusing a reference to Carles's graph
> - I figured it'd be of interest to some of you:
> http://zoteromusings.wordpress.com/2013/04/30/why-you-should-be-excited-there-are-6000-csl-styles/
>
> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 8:44 AM, Charles Parnot
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Would be need to make some output work with Panic's Status Board app :-)
>>

>> On Apr 26, 2013, at 3:57 PM, Carles Pina <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> I've pushed quickly what I have:
>>> https://github.com/cpina/csls-styles-report
>>>
>>> Should be trivial to add things. This is running everyday (needs a git
>>> pull) in my personal server but I'm happy to have it there (static
>>> page, no maintenance mainly) (in some point this could be migrated,
>>> either the script or the output...).
>>>
>>> I'll add your (Rintze) github user as a collaborator so you could push
>>> changes easily. I thought that maybe this could be part of the
>>> utilities CSL repo and then do a partial checkout. I can move it at
>>> some point.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> --
>>> Carles Pina | Software Engineer
>>> http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/
>>>
>>> Mendeley Limited | London, UK | www.mendeley.com
>>> Registered in England and Wales | Company Number 6419015

>> Charles Parnot
>> [hidden email]
>> twitter: @cparnot
>> http://mekentosj.com

Carles Pina | Software Engineer
http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/

Re: CSL sytles graphic

Great post, and great overview of the recent developments! Thanks, Sebastian :-)