CSL tests: copying CSL code into fixtures

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

CSL tests: copying CSL code into fixtures

fbennett
One of the ratty aspects of the standard CSL test fixtures is that
many (77 of them) call external styles. For example:

    https://bitbucket.org/bdarcus/citeproc-test/src/846e241d5875b25956f23f5bd8f4a7da73e88215/processor-tests/humans/bugreports_AllCapsLeakage.txt?at=default

The source of these styles is the test suite repo itself. They do not
change over time, so there is no real reason to store them separately.

As a first step toward cleaning up the suite, I would like to copy the
code of called styles into the fixtures themselves, so that each is
fully self-contained.

This shouldn't affect the operation of test frameworks at all, but it
will a large check-in, so I thought I should run the plan past the
list before making the change. I have a script ready for the purpose,
but I'll hold off in case anyone has reservations.

The fixtures could use a *lot* more work to make them more informative
and easier to work with, but this seems to be a good place to start.

Frank

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comprehensive Server Monitoring with Site24x7.
Monitor 10 servers for $9/Month.
Get alerted through email, SMS, voice calls or mobile push notifications.
Take corrective actions from your mobile device.
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=154624111&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
_______________________________________________
xbiblio-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/xbiblio-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CSL tests: copying CSL code into fixtures

Charles Parnot
Hi Frank,

I thought there were two advantages to this setup:

- multiple tests can share a style (could be considered a problem, as modiyfing a style can affect multiple tests)
- can reduce readbility of the tests when using very large styles

That said, I am not against it at all, just bringing up those 2 points just in case :-)

Best wishes,

Charles

http://findingsapp.com


On Nov 12, 2014, at 2:54 AM, Frank Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> One of the ratty aspects of the standard CSL test fixtures is that
> many (77 of them) call external styles. For example:
>
>    https://bitbucket.org/bdarcus/citeproc-test/src/846e241d5875b25956f23f5bd8f4a7da73e88215/processor-tests/humans/bugreports_AllCapsLeakage.txt?at=default
>
> The source of these styles is the test suite repo itself. They do not
> change over time, so there is no real reason to store them separately.
>
> As a first step toward cleaning up the suite, I would like to copy the
> code of called styles into the fixtures themselves, so that each is
> fully self-contained.
>
> This shouldn't affect the operation of test frameworks at all, but it
> will a large check-in, so I thought I should run the plan past the
> list before making the change. I have a script ready for the purpose,
> but I'll hold off in case anyone has reservations.
>
> The fixtures could use a *lot* more work to make them more informative
> and easier to work with, but this seems to be a good place to start.
>
> Frank
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Comprehensive Server Monitoring with Site24x7.
> Monitor 10 servers for $9/Month.
> Get alerted through email, SMS, voice calls or mobile push notifications.
> Take corrective actions from your mobile device.
> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=154624111&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
> _______________________________________________
> xbiblio-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/xbiblio-devel

--
Charles Parnot
[hidden email]
http://app.net/cparnot
twitter: @cparnot

Your Lab Notebook, Reinvented.
http://findingsapp.com


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comprehensive Server Monitoring with Site24x7.
Monitor 10 servers for $9/Month.
Get alerted through email, SMS, voice calls or mobile push notifications.
Take corrective actions from your mobile device.
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=154624111&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
_______________________________________________
xbiblio-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/xbiblio-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CSL tests: copying CSL code into fixtures

fbennett
On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 3:06 PM, Charles Parnot
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> I thought there were two advantages to this setup:
>
> - multiple tests can share a style (could be considered a problem, as modiyfing a style can affect multiple tests)

Yes. I'll keep the code that reads in an external CSL file in my own
test runner, because it's really handy for debugging. It's just that
the distributed tests in the suite should be atomic. As you say, it
makes them more stable.

> - can reduce readbility of the tests when using very large styles

Yes. You do lose the convenience of a dedicated XML editor (until a
CSL test editor emerges ...). On the other hand, this will also be the
first step toward another long-term aim, to improve clarity by
removing unnecessary code from the CSL used in the tests.

>
> That said, I am not against it at all, just bringing up those 2 points just in case :-)

Thanks! Looks like we're clear to go, then. I'll make the update
sometime in the next few days.

>
> Best wishes,
>
> Charles
>
> http://findingsapp.com
>
>
> On Nov 12, 2014, at 2:54 AM, Frank Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> One of the ratty aspects of the standard CSL test fixtures is that
>> many (77 of them) call external styles. For example:
>>
>>    https://bitbucket.org/bdarcus/citeproc-test/src/846e241d5875b25956f23f5bd8f4a7da73e88215/processor-tests/humans/bugreports_AllCapsLeakage.txt?at=default
>>
>> The source of these styles is the test suite repo itself. They do not
>> change over time, so there is no real reason to store them separately.
>>
>> As a first step toward cleaning up the suite, I would like to copy the
>> code of called styles into the fixtures themselves, so that each is
>> fully self-contained.
>>
>> This shouldn't affect the operation of test frameworks at all, but it
>> will a large check-in, so I thought I should run the plan past the
>> list before making the change. I have a script ready for the purpose,
>> but I'll hold off in case anyone has reservations.
>>
>> The fixtures could use a *lot* more work to make them more informative
>> and easier to work with, but this seems to be a good place to start.
>>
>> Frank
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> Comprehensive Server Monitoring with Site24x7.
>> Monitor 10 servers for $9/Month.
>> Get alerted through email, SMS, voice calls or mobile push notifications.
>> Take corrective actions from your mobile device.
>> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=154624111&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
>> _______________________________________________
>> xbiblio-devel mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/xbiblio-devel
>
> --
> Charles Parnot
> [hidden email]
> http://app.net/cparnot
> twitter: @cparnot
>
> Your Lab Notebook, Reinvented.
> http://findingsapp.com
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Comprehensive Server Monitoring with Site24x7.
> Monitor 10 servers for $9/Month.
> Get alerted through email, SMS, voice calls or mobile push notifications.
> Take corrective actions from your mobile device.
> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=154624111&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
> _______________________________________________
> xbiblio-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/xbiblio-devel

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comprehensive Server Monitoring with Site24x7.
Monitor 10 servers for $9/Month.
Get alerted through email, SMS, voice calls or mobile push notifications.
Take corrective actions from your mobile device.
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=154624111&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
_______________________________________________
xbiblio-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/xbiblio-devel