CSL use in web application "Bibliograph"

CSL use in web application "Bibliograph"

panyasan
Administrator
Hello everybody,

I am getting closer to a first public beta release of the web app "Bibliograph", which uses CSL for the display of formatted citations.  Bibliograph is a tool for the collaborative management of bibliographic data, mainly for use in universities. You can enter, edit, import and export bibliographic references, view them in different formats, and manage them by sorting them in thematic folders, etc. What sets it apart from desktop programs of the same sort is the collaborative, multi-user approach, and from other web-based applications, its truly "ajaxy" feel. Here's a demo installation:

http://quit.rewi.hu-berlin.de/bibliograph-dev/build/

To see the formatted citations, select a folder and then one or more reference, and then "Formatted View" on the bottom. Currently, I am using citeproc-php, but will additionally integrate citeproc-hs as soon as a new easy-to-install version will be published. Internally, the app uses a glorified BibTeX data schema, which is translated into the schema that can be used for the citeproc engine - I still hope we'll manage to find a truly interoperable validation schema for that.

I have found only four 1.0 styles that work with the citeproc-php engine, but I'll be happy to hear about more styles that have been upgraded to 1.0, and I do have to sit down and learn CSL to write some "German" style anyways.

The application is still in pre-Beta since it has not been prepared for use outside the current environment. If anyone is interested in the pioneering effort downloading and installing it, I'd be happy to help out. But be warned: it probably won't be an easy ride and lots of changes are forthcoming.

Best,
Christian

Re: CSL use in web application "Bibliograph"

Mogliii
Hi,

I loaded it with Firefox 3.6 on Windows 7.

All three boxes stay empty. If I press the toothwheel lower left,
"reload" can't be pressed. It does not react. The "reload" in the upper
right box can be clicked, but nothing gets loaded.

Regards,
mogliii

On 14/06/2010 09:01, panyasan wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I am getting closer to a first public beta release of the web app
> "Bibliograph", which uses CSL for the display of formatted citations.
> Bibliograph is a tool for the collaborative management of bibliographic
> data, mainly for use in universities. You can enter, edit, import and export
> bibliographic references, view them in different formats, and manage them by
> sorting them in thematic folders, etc. What sets it apart from desktop
> programs of the same sort is the collaborative, multi-user approach, and
> from other web-based applications, its truly "ajaxy" feel. Here's a demo
> installation:
>
> http://quit.rewi.hu-berlin.de/bibliograph-dev/build/
>
> To see the formatted citations, select a folder and then one or more
> reference, and then "Formatted View" on the bottom. Currently, I am using
> citeproc-php, but will additionally integrate citeproc-hs as soon as a new
> easy-to-install version will be published. Internally, the app uses a
> glorified BibTeX data schema, which is translated into the schema that can
> be used for the citeproc engine - I still hope we'll manage to find a truly
> interoperable validation schema for that.
>
> I have found only four 1.0 styles that work with the citeproc-php engine,
> but I'll be happy to hear about more styles that have been upgraded to 1.0,
> and I do have to sit down and learn CSL to write some "German" style
> anyways.
>
> The application is still in pre-Beta since it has not been prepared for use
> outside the current environment. If anyone is interested in the pioneering
> effort downloading and installing it, I'd be happy to help out. But be
> warned: it probably won't be an easy ride and lots of changes are
> forthcoming.
>
> Best,
> Christian

Re: CSL use in web application "Bibliograph"

panyasan
Administrator
Thank you for your feedback. That is strange. I have not windows machine here to test it (Just Mac, but it works with Safari, FF, Opera, Chrome). Will try it on a Windows machine at work. Thanks again, C.

Re: CSL use in web application "Bibliograph"

Peter Stoilov
When Selecting multiple references, the tabular view shows only the
first one. Formatted view shows all refs.

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 5:06 AM, panyasan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you for your feedback. That is strange. I have not windows machine here
> to test it (Just Mac, but it works with Safari, FF, Opera, Chrome). Will try
> it on a Windows machine at work. Thanks again, C.

Re: CSL use in web application "Bibliograph"

Mogliii
The problem I mentioned before might be due to my Firefox. It populates
the folders with Internet Explorer (8) on the same machine.

I disabled noscript and adblock, but still not showing up. Don't know
what the problem could be...

On 14/06/2010 10:06, panyasan wrote:
> Thank you for your feedback. That is strange. I have not windows machine here
> to test it (Just Mac, but it works with Safari, FF, Opera, Chrome). Will try
> it on a Windows machine at work. Thanks again, C.

Re: CSL use in web application "Bibliograph"

Simon Kornblith
On Jun 14, 2010, at 1:01 AM, panyasan wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I am getting closer to a first public beta release of the web app
> "Bibliograph", which uses CSL for the display of formatted citations.
> Bibliograph is a tool for the collaborative management of bibliographic
> data, mainly for use in universities. You can enter, edit, import and export
> bibliographic references, view them in different formats, and manage them by
> sorting them in thematic folders, etc. What sets it apart from desktop
> programs of the same sort is the collaborative, multi-user approach, and
> from other web-based applications, its truly "ajaxy" feel. Here's a demo
> installation:
>
> http://quit.rewi.hu-berlin.de/bibliograph-dev/build/
>
> To see the formatted citations, select a folder and then one or more
> reference, and then "Formatted View" on the bottom. Currently, I am using
> citeproc-php, but will additionally integrate citeproc-hs as soon as a new
> easy-to-install version will be published. Internally, the app uses a
> glorified BibTeX data schema, which is translated into the schema that can
> be used for the citeproc engine - I still hope we'll manage to find a truly
> interoperable validation schema for that.
>
> I have found only four 1.0 styles that work with the citeproc-php engine,
> but I'll be happy to hear about more styles that have been upgraded to 1.0,
> and I do have to sit down and learn CSL to write some "German" style
> anyways.

For the moment, you can convert the CSL 0.8 styles in the Zotero repository to CSL 1.0 by applying the update.xsl XSLT at http://bitbucket.org/bdarcus/csl-utils/src, although there may be minor differences between the styles as interpreted by the old Zotero 0.8.1 parser and newer CSL 1.0 parsers. When Zotero 2.1 is released, we'll be moving all styles in the repository over to 1.0.

This looks really nice. While it's not my department, I hope that, once we release our API, it will be possible to interface Bibliograph with shared Zotero collections and groups.

Simon

Re: CSL use in web application "Bibliograph"

panyasan
Administrator
Simon Kornblith wrote
For the moment, you can convert the CSL 0.8 styles in the Zotero repository to CSL 1.0 by applying the update.xsl XSLT at http://bitbucket.org/bdarcus/csl-utils/src, although there may be minor differences between the styles as interpreted by the old Zotero 0.8.1 parser and newer CSL 1.0 parsers. When Zotero 2.1 is released, we'll be moving all styles in the repository over to 1.0.
That is great to hear and will make my life a lot easier. I'll need to add at least one German legal style later, but it would be good to have a couple of them to impress my users.

Simon Kornblith wrote
This looks really nice. While it's not my department, I hope that, once we release our API, it will be possible to interface Bibliograph with shared Zotero collections and groups.
Thanks. That would be fantastic. I was already thinking about writing a Zotero import plugin and found a PHP class which claimed to be able to do that, but I'd rather develop against an official web service API. I have already looked for info but found none - so I'm looking forward to that. But we're disgressing from CSL isssues ;-)
C.