Conference proceeding

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Conference proceeding

Charles Parnot
Hi guys,

I have another question, for which I could not find a clear answer from the specs or from googling around. I noticed that Papers2 outputs the title of the conference twice for 'paper-conference' type of entry (which we call conference proceeding). The variable 'container-title' and 'event' both return the name of the conference in our CSL translation layer, and then both are output by the APA style. It would seem 'event' should be the only one to return, but then one can end up with volume info etc… without a corresponding title. There is also a bit of a confusion between the presentation itself, which happens at the conference, and the proceeding printed into a specific paper volume.

I am thus for now assuming 'paper-conference' should only return a value for the 'event' variable, but I'd be interested to hear your comment and suggestions.

Thanks very much!

Charles



--
Charles Parnot
[hidden email]
twitter: @cparnot
http://mekentosj.com



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF email is sponsosred by:
Try Windows Azure free for 90 days Click Here
http://p.sf.net/sfu/sfd2d-msazure
_______________________________________________
xbiblio-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/xbiblio-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Conference proceeding

fbennett
On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 5:59 AM, Charles Parnot
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have another question, for which I could not find a clear answer from the specs or from googling around. I noticed that Papers2 outputs the title of the conference twice for 'paper-conference' type of entry (which we call conference proceeding). The variable 'container-title' and 'event' both return the name of the conference in our CSL translation layer, and then both are output by the APA style. It would seem 'event' should be the only one to return, but then one can end up with volume info etc… without a corresponding title. There is also a bit of a confusion between the presentation itself, which happens at the conference, and the proceeding printed into a specific paper volume.

The paper-conference type is hard -- there are at least three possible
forms, which could differ considerably in form. I've adopted a
solution in the MLZ styles that (I think) will be relatively easy to
document, and can express the various roles in a uniform way. See what
you think -- comments very welcome.

http://citationstylist.org/proofsheets/conference-papers/

Frank


>
> I am thus for now assuming 'paper-conference' should only return a value for the 'event' variable, but I'd be interested to hear your comment and suggestions.
>
> Thanks very much!
>
> Charles
>
>
>
> --
> Charles Parnot
> [hidden email]
> twitter: @cparnot
> http://mekentosj.com
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> This SF email is sponsosred by:
> Try Windows Azure free for 90 days Click Here
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/sfd2d-msazure
> _______________________________________________
> xbiblio-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/xbiblio-devel

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF email is sponsosred by:
Try Windows Azure free for 90 days Click Here
http://p.sf.net/sfu/sfd2d-msazure
_______________________________________________
xbiblio-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/xbiblio-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Conference proceeding

Charles Parnot
Hi Frank,

Thanks very much for the info, this is extremely useful! I will likely have some follow-up questions/comments on that web page, but need more time to think about it.

Charles


On Mar 29, 2012, at 1:04 AM, Frank Bennett wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 5:59 AM, Charles Parnot
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I have another question, for which I could not find a clear answer from the specs or from googling around. I noticed that Papers2 outputs the title of the conference twice for 'paper-conference' type of entry (which we call conference proceeding). The variable 'container-title' and 'event' both return the name of the conference in our CSL translation layer, and then both are output by the APA style. It would seem 'event' should be the only one to return, but then one can end up with volume info etc… without a corresponding title. There is also a bit of a confusion between the presentation itself, which happens at the conference, and the proceeding printed into a specific paper volume.
>
> The paper-conference type is hard -- there are at least three possible
> forms, which could differ considerably in form. I've adopted a
> solution in the MLZ styles that (I think) will be relatively easy to
> document, and can express the various roles in a uniform way. See what
> you think -- comments very welcome.
>
> http://citationstylist.org/proofsheets/conference-papers/
>
> Frank
>
>
>>
>> I am thus for now assuming 'paper-conference' should only return a value for the 'event' variable, but I'd be interested to hear your comment and suggestions.
>>
>> Thanks very much!
>>
>> Charles
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Charles Parnot
>> [hidden email]
>> twitter: @cparnot
>> http://mekentosj.com
>>
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> This SF email is sponsosred by:
>> Try Windows Azure free for 90 days Click Here
>> http://p.sf.net/sfu/sfd2d-msazure
>> _______________________________________________
>> xbiblio-devel mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/xbiblio-devel
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> This SF email is sponsosred by:
> Try Windows Azure free for 90 days Click Here
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/sfd2d-msazure
> _______________________________________________
> xbiblio-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/xbiblio-devel

--
Charles Parnot
[hidden email]
twitter: @cparnot
http://mekentosj.com



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF email is sponsosred by:
Try Windows Azure free for 90 days Click Here
http://p.sf.net/sfu/sfd2d-msazure
_______________________________________________
xbiblio-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/xbiblio-devel