Cross-referencing

Hermien Wolff
Good day,

I'm trying to create a citation style for the North-west University in South Africa. I could do most of the style adjustments, but at this stage I struggle with a specific problem:

There are specific situations where we need to make 2 entries in the bibliography for one citation. One example is whith laws. In the text you refer to the law by name, but in the bibliography you need an inscription that will refer you to "South Africa". Both entries should be in alphabetical order along with all other entries. See the example from our referencing guide:

Text:
The Labour Relations Act (66 of 1995) regulates the organisational rights of trade unions.

Reference list:
Labour Relations Act see South Africa.

OR

Acts see South Africa.
South Africa. 1995. Labour Relations Act 66 of 1995.

I managed to be able to create both entries, but they end up still as one entry, next to one another:

Suid-Afrika. 2003. Wet op Gesondheid 61 van 2003. Wet op Gesondheid kyk Suid-Afrika.

Source code:

<macro name="bill">
<group delimiter=" " prefix=" " suffix=".">
<text variable="title"/>
<text value="kyk" font-weight="bold" font-style="italic"/>
<text variable="container-title"/>
</group>
</macro>

<bibliography hanging-indent="false" entry-spacing="2" line-spacing="1">
<sort>
<key macro="author"/>
<key macro="issued" sort="ascending"/>
</sort>
<layout suffix=".">
<group delimiter=". ">
<text macro="author"/>
<text macro="issued"/>
<text macro="title"/>
<text macro="editon"/>
<text macro="container"/>
<text macro="publisher"/>
<text macro="locators"/>
</group>
<text macro="access" prefix=". "/>
<if type="bill">
<text macro="bill"/>
</if>
</layout>
</bibliography>

If someone can direct me in solving the problem, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you
Hermien

Re: Cross-referencing

fbennett
On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 10:07 AM, Hermien Wolff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good day,
>
> I'm trying to create a citation style for the North-west University in South
> Africa. I could do most of the style adjustments, but at this stage I
> struggle with a specific problem:
>
> There are specific situations where we need to make 2 entries in the
> bibliography for one citation. One example is whith laws. In the text you
> refer to the law by name, but in the bibliography you need an inscription
> that will refer you to "South Africa". Both entries should be in
> alphabetical order along with all other entries. See the example from our
> referencing guide:
>
> Text:
> The Labour Relations Act (66 of 1995) regulates the organisational rights of
> trade unions.
>
> Reference list:
> Labour Relations Act see South Africa.
>
> OR
>
> Acts see South Africa.
> South Africa. 1995. Labour Relations Act 66 of 1995.

I'm not quite sure what the pointers signify. Is "Acts" a unique
pointer to "South Africa", and is "Labour Relations Act" a unique
pointer to "South Africa"? That is, do each of these three terms
signify exactly one thing (it wouldn't seem so, but just to confirm).

If not, this looks more like an indexing requirement. For that, you
would be best off using an index tool, which can perform the
hierarchical nesting and sub-sorting that would be needed to handle
multiple items under a single heading.

If that sounds unresponsive, could you point us to a finished
bibliography formatted according to your target requirements? I may be
mistaken about what the supplemental references mean.