Dates for press releases

panyasan
Administrator
Hello,

I have the following scenario, working with Zotero's CSL implementation: I am writing a paper which uses lots of news agency reports to reconstruct the flow of events. So I have plenty of reports from the same news agency that have been issued from the same year. Because of this, the disambiguation using a year suffix is not adequate (MTI 2011a, b, c ... z ... ). Instead, I would need the date of the day the report was published, which also helps to tell the story. ("The prime minister responded the next day that the opposition's claims were inaccurate (MTI 2011/11/29)"). All reports come from websites (not the news agency itself, because they charge money).

Do you have suggestions as to
- which document type to use (manuscript/report/website?)
- how to alter the formatting of the citation and bibliography (I use Chicago-Author-Date)

Thanks,
Christian

Re: Dates for press releases

panyasan
Administrator
Update: for now, I have modified the "date" macro:

   <macro name="date">
      <date variable="issued">
         <date-part name="year"/>
         <date-part name="month" form="numeric-leading-zeros" prefix="/"/>
         <date-part name="day" form="numeric-leading-zeros" prefix="/"/>
      </date>
   </macro>

so that if there is month and day information in the "issued" variable, it will be displayed.

Of course, this is unsatisfactory for a number of reasons:

- one might want to have a full date in "issued", but only display the year for certain types
- this is not localized, since year/month/date is not how it would, for example, be expressed in German.

I found out how to display detailed dates for certain types only (choose/if type="..." match="any" in the macro), but I am still unsure which type such agency news reports/press releases should be and wonder how you would solve this problem.