Director Mapping

Sebastian Karcher
Going off this discussion on the Zotero forums
https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/6112?page=1#Item_22
The emerging consensus seems to be to map director for films (and
probably related items) to CSLs director only and not, as we currently
do in Zotero and Mendeley (at least) to author.
The main implication would be that we'll start switching styles to add
substitute elements with cs:director in them and that we'd potentially
test for the presence of that variable.

Are there any concerns about this? I don't see much that can
happen--if you keep the mapping to author, styles will pretty much
continue as they did before--but I may be overlooking something. If
so, let us know.

We may consider similar adjustments to dealing with primary creator
types in the future, so if there are any general concerns, let us
know.

Thank you and best,

Re: Director Mapping

On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 11:27 PM, Sebastian Karcher
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Going off this discussion on the Zotero forums
> https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/6112?page=1#Item_22
> The emerging consensus seems to be to map director for films (and
> probably related items) to CSLs director only and not, as we currently
> do in Zotero and Mendeley (at least) to author.
> The main implication would be that we'll start switching styles to add
> substitute elements with cs:director in them and that we'd potentially
> test for the presence of that variable.

Fine with me.

Re: Director Mapping

Charles Parnot
On Jul 14, 2014, at 3:21 AM, Rintze Zelle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 11:27 PM, Sebastian Karcher
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Going off this discussion on the Zotero forums
>> https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/6112?page=1#Item_22
>> The emerging consensus seems to be to map director for films (and
>> probably related items) to CSLs director only and not, as we currently
>> do in Zotero and Mendeley (at least) to author.
>> The main implication would be that we'll start switching styles to add
>> substitute elements with cs:director in them and that we'd potentially
>> test for the presence of that variable.
>
> Fine with me.
>
> Rintze

I agree it looks like it won’t break existing CSL styles and processors, which means it’s good.

http://app.net/cparnot
twitter: @cparnot

Your Lab Notebook, Reinvented.
http://findingsapp.com

Re: Director Mapping

Carles Pina
On 14 July 2014 07:18, Charles Parnot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2014, at 3:21 AM, Rintze Zelle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 11:27 PM, Sebastian Karcher
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Going off this discussion on the Zotero forums
>>> https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/6112?page=1#Item_22
>>> The emerging consensus seems to be to map director for films (and
>>> probably related items) to CSLs director only and not, as we currently
>>> do in Zotero and Mendeley (at least) to author.
>>> The main implication would be that we'll start switching styles to add
>>> substitute elements with cs:director in them and that we'd potentially
>>> test for the presence of that variable.
>>
>> Fine with me.
>>
>> Rintze
>

> I agree it looks like it won’t break existing CSL styles and processors, which means it’s good.

fine with me too.

Carles Pina | Software Engineer
http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/

Re: Director Mapping

johnmie
The only inconvenience I see is that the author is easier to include in PDF files (requires no separate namespace, can be added manually in Acrobt.exe) and search engines would first look for that variable.
Some document organization software have a column for author and it would have to be tweaked to display the director here. But if this becomes an accepted and widely used best practice, I'll adjust my programm accordingly.

johnmie