Documentation on setting up a web service?

Documentation on setting up a web service?

Micheal Hewett-3
Hi,

I am developing a web site of which one small part will be
formatting bibliography entries.  XBiblio sounds perfect, with
a large library of formats available.  However, I can't find
any instructions on how to set up a web service to serve
back formatted entries.

Alternatively, I'd like to just call the python libraries from
the app server we already have (written in Java).  Are
there any instructions on how to do that?

The only instructions about Python I found say that the
example shown doesn't work yet.

Does someone have a step-by-step list of things to do
to actually use XBiblio from Java or as a web service?

Thanks,
Mike Hewett
-------------------------------
Micheal Hewett, PhD
CEO, Hewett Research

Re: Documentation on setting up a web service?

fbennett
On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 8:30 AM, Micheal Hewett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am developing a web site of which one small part will be
> formatting bibliography entries.  XBiblio sounds perfect, with
> a large library of formats available.  However, I can't find
> any instructions on how to set up a web service to serve
> back formatted entries.
>
> Alternatively, I'd like to just call the python libraries from
> the app server we already have (written in Java).  Are
> there any instructions on how to do that?
>
> The only instructions about Python I found say that the
> example shown doesn't work yet.

The Javascript implementation is the nearest to completion.
Everything's working, apart from some adjustments needed for (very)
recent changes to the CLS formatting language.

It accepts styles in CSL 1.0 format, which differs slightly from that
of the CSL styles in the Zotero repository.  Styles can be converted,
though, and Bruce has a tool for that purpose in the works, which will
be made available after 1.0 is finalized (within this year).

The manual for the Javascript implementation (citeproc-js) is here:

  http://gsl-nagoya-u.net/http/pub/citeproc-doc.html

The source code is here:

  http://bitbucket.org/fbennett/citeproc-js/wiki/Home

There is a large bundle of test cases in the source archive, which may
also be a useful reference.  (Note of warning: look to the
machine-readable version of the fixtures under ./std/machines for a
view of the actual input read by the process -- the JSON under
./std/humans can be misleading).

Feel free to write to me direct if you run into problems.

Frank Bennett

On Oct 18, 2009, at 7:30 PM, Micheal Hewett <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I am developing a web site of which one small part will be
formatting bibliography entries.

Can you describe the use case a bit more?

XBiblio sounds perfect, with
a large library of formats available.  However, I can't find
any instructions on how to set up a web service to serve
back formatted entries.

Alternatively, I'd like to just call the python libraries from
the app server we already have (written in Java).  Are
there any instructions on how to do that?

The only instructions about Python I found say that the
example shown doesn't work yet.

Does someone have a step-by-step list of things to do
to actually use XBiblio from Java or as a web service?

Thanks,
Mike Hewett
-------------------------------
Micheal Hewett, PhD
CEO, Hewett Research

Re: Documentation on setting up a web service?

Micheal Hewett-3
We are building a web site to help high school and college students
do research and take notes for reports.  The focus is on
capturing and organizing data, but as part of the process
they will need to capture bibliographic information.  When
exported to a document, we want the citations to be
nicely formatted in the style requested by their professor/teacher.

The large library of formats at Zotero is amazing.  I would
like to have access to, or set up, a service where we can
send citation data and a format and receive back a formatted
string (in HTML, I guess).  I was hoping that XBiblio would
have a mode where that would be easy to do.

Mike
-------------------------------
Micheal Hewett, PhD
CEO, Hewett Research
[hidden email]

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 6:31 PM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

[hidden email][hidden email]

Re: Documentation on setting up a web service?

Bruce D'Arcus-3
On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 10:19 PM, Micheal Hewett
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> We are building a web site to help high school and college students
> do research and take notes for reports.  The focus is on
> capturing and organizing data, but as part of the process
> they will need to capture bibliographic information.  When
> exported to a document, we want the citations to be
> nicely formatted in the style requested by their professor/teacher.

Citation, a bibliography list, or both?

> The large library of formats at Zotero is amazing.  I would
> like to have access to, or set up, a service where we can
> send citation data and a format and receive back a formatted
> string (in HTML, I guess).  I was hoping that XBiblio would
> have a mode where that would be easy to do.

XBib is basically an umbrella project.

As Frank says, his Javascript-based implementation is the most
complete, and you could consider basing a web service on that running
on Rhino (if you want Java) or spidermonkey*. Indeed, Zotero is
planning on just that.

Let us know how things go. It'd be nice to have a really
easy-to-install and run web service.

Bruce

* <http://bitbucket.org/fbennett/citeproc-rpc/>

Re: Documentation on setting up a web service?

panyasan

Micheal Hewett-3 wrote
We are building a web site to help high school and college students
do research and take notes for reports.  The focus is on
capturing and organizing data, but as part of the process
they will need to capture bibliographic information.  When
exported to a document, we want the citations to be
nicely formatted in the style requested by their professor/teacher.

The large library of formats at Zotero is amazing.  I would
like to have access to, or set up, a service where we can
send citation data and a format and receive back a formatted
string (in HTML, I guess).  I was hoping that XBiblio would
have a mode where that would be easy to do.

Mike
-------------------------------
Micheal Hewett, PhD
CEO, Hewett Research
mike@hewettresearch.com
Hi Mike,

I have started working on a php webservice that uses the citeproc-hs (Citeproc/Haskell) implementation as the formatting engine:

https://xbiblio.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xbiblio/citeproc-hs-php/

Dependencies are quite complicated, but I wrote an install script for Debian/Ubuntu which should be easy to adapt to most *n*x- systems:

https://xbiblio.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xbiblio/citeproc-hs-php/README.txt
https://xbiblio.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xbiblio/citeproc-hs-php/trunk/bin/install.sh

I haven't tested it lately because I have been held up with other things. I also assume that the citeproc-haskell implementation is not up-to-date with the latest CSL specification.

The webservice consists of a simple php script with a form, but that's just a test. It would be very easy to create a PHP XML-RPC or JSON-RPC service or whatever. I'd be thrilled to find a collaborator as I will return to the project soon, and I hope very much the maintainer of the haskell implementation finds time to adapt his code to the latest and greatest CSL specs.

Christian

Re: Documentation on setting up a web service?

panyasan

Bruce D'Arcus-3 wrote
As Frank says, his Javascript-based implementation is the most
complete, and you could consider basing a web service on that running
on Rhino (if you want Java) or spidermonkey*. Indeed, Zotero is
planning on just that.

* <http://bitbucket.org/fbennett/citeproc-rpc/>
I tried to install Frank's webservice on Mac OS X and Debian Lenny, but I haven't been successfu in getting the dependencies installed. On both platforms, the Netscape Portable Runtime (which is a prerequisite to spidermonkey) is not compileable in the current packages - at least for me and many others as google reveals. The alternatives involves some scary patching which I'd rather not have do deal with. This is not the right forum to ask help on this, but I at least want to ask if anyone on this list was successful with installing spidermonkey on Mac and Debian - it might be just an unlucky coincidence with my configurations.

Thanks,

Christian