Quantcast

Fwd: Re: 'vs.' as stop word?

Joseph Reagle

So how does one go about amending the spec and getting  'vs.' added as a
stop word?

Re: Fwd: Re: 'vs.' as stop word?

Sebastian Karcher
this is the right place. We have another still unresolved thread in which I suggest a long list of prepositions to be added, I don't see why we shouldn't add vs. to those.

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 2:43 PM, Joseph Reagle <[hidden email]> wrote:

So how does one go about amending the spec and getting  'vs.' added as a
stop word?

Re: Fwd: Re: 'vs.' as stop word?

fbennett
On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 7:27 AM, Sebastian Karcher
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> this is the right place. We have another still unresolved thread in which I
> suggest a long list of prepositions to be added, I don't see why we
> shouldn't add vs. to those.

Joseph mentioned in another thread that Turabian sets legal_case names
in title case, which makes this an issue. As a general thing, I
wouldn't recommend forcing the text-case on legal_case titles; but
adding vs to the stop-list of prepositions should be no problem, as
far as I can see.

When the stop-list is added to the specification repo, I'll update the
stop-list in citeproc-js.

Frank

> On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 2:43 PM, Joseph Reagle <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>

>> So how does one go about amending the spec and getting  'vs.' added as a
>> stop word?

>> October Webinars: Code for Performance
>> Free Intel webinars can help you accelerate application performance.
>> Explore tips for MPI, OpenMP, advanced profiling, and more. Get the most
>> from
>> the latest Intel processors and coprocessors. See abstracts and register >
>>
>> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=60134071&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Re: Fwd: Re: 'vs.' as stop word?

Joseph Reagle
On 10/09/2013 06:27 PM, Sebastian Karcher wrote:
> this is the right place. We have another still unresolved thread in which I
> suggest a long list of prepositions to be added, I don't see why we
> shouldn't add vs. to those.

I haven't seen your larger list, but in my function for sentence casing
I have the following `words2ignore`:

<https://github.com/reagle/thunderdell/blob/master/fe.py#L528>

~~~~

    articles = ['a', 'an', 'the']
    conjunctions = ['and', 'but', 'for', 'or', 'nor']
    contractions = ['s', 't', 've', 're']   # following apostrophe
    others = ['18th', '19th', '20th', '21st']
    prepositions = 'aboard about above across after against along among
around as at before behind below beneath beside  between beyond but by
concerning despite down during except for from in  into like near of off
on onto out outside over past per regarding since through throughout
till to toward under underneath until up  upon vs. versus with within
without'.split()

    words2ignore = articles + conjunctions + contractions + others +
prepositions

~~~~

Re: Fwd: Re: 'vs.' as stop word?

Sebastian Karcher
my list is here: https://gist.github.com/adam3smith/6326169
already has vs. on it, I had forgotten about that.