Generating formatted Citations for the Web from MODs

mgr

Generating formatted Citations for the Web from MODs

mgr
Hi List, [NOTE that this is a cross post from the MODS listserv[0]--this maybe a better place to post] After careful consideration over the past several months our web application has decided to store our citations in MODs as opposed to our propriety and often problematic relational structure. Great news for sure. We are now able to generate EndNote files, RIS files, BibTex files, DC, and MARCXML. With the latter two being less desired by our end users. Ideally our board of directors and (more importantly) our end users would like to generate formatted HTML citations in various formats. For example, the way Google scholar will give the user the choice of MLA, ALA, and Chicago. The problem looks to be that while there are several leads, no available resource exists for a proper HTML transformation. The most promising one is the citeproc project and the Citation Style Language[1]. They have projects in various stages in multiple languages. However, of the list I am only able to function in java, python, and JavaScript. The problem to me is that most expect a JSON format that is not too well documented--as best as I can tell, some of the discussions I've come across on this format our several years old at this point. Only one purports to work with MODs. citeproc-hs[2] a haskell library seems to have once expected MODs, but 1. I am not familiar with haskell and two it appears to not have been kept to date. I have not ruled it out completely, but need to consult a primer on haskell first. The python library, citeproc-py[3] claims to work with bibtex. However, they are still having issues with UTF-8[4]. Additionally, either the mapping is off in their BibTex parser or bibutils[5] is producing poor BibTex files from the inputted MODs files. Finally, the library according to the README.rst[6] is still not ready for production. Ideally, there would be an Xquery/XSL transformation that we could call from our web application which is built upon exist-db[7]. I suppose our next step may be writing our own transformation, however, it seems like coming to this as a programmer and not a librarian I may not be searching in all the right places. Do I need to write my own transformation, or has the wheel already been created? Best,

Re: Generating formatted Citations for the Web from MODs

Bruce D'Arcus-3
Matt -- the most mature CSL code is the javascript implementation by
Frank Bennett.

I don't believe, though Frank can correct me if I'm wrong, that
citeproc-js can import MODS files.

So I am guessing you'd probably want to get someone to write an XSLT
transformation to generate the JSON input data format from the MODS.

I'm not aware of any such code, but it may already exist. Also worth
noting that conceptually such code would be pretty similar to an XSLT
that could convert MODS to any other similar text format: RIS,
Endnote, etc. So if you could find such openly licensed XSLT, it
should be fairly easy to adapt to a CSL workflow.

But there's another option, I suppose:

I wrote the first implementation of CSL using MODS in an exist-based
workflow. So that code would probably work, with the downside that it
would be based on an old version of the CSL spec. But you might not
care about that.

http://sourceforge.net/p/xbiblio/code/HEAD/tree/attic/citeproc-xsl/

Bruce

mgr

Re: Generating formatted Citations for the Web from MODs

mgr
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the prompt response. citeproc-js was the first project I looked at, and my recollection is that you are correct. No support for importing MODs. Can you recommend any good resources outside of the citeproc-js project and its documentation for the JSON it expects? I think that may just be the route I go.

As far as original implementation of CSL using MODS that is actually what brought me to CSL--okay, it was actually google. I'm afraid not only would it be an older version of the CSL spec it is also would likely expect a much older version of the MODs we are using.

I just cannot help feeling a bit surprised that having MODS, Bibtex, Endnote, RIS, DC, and MARCXML I cannot find a solid route to transform one of them into an HTML formatted citation. I am not tied to using CSL necessarily, but hands down it looks like one of the best resources out there. I feel like I am about to reinvent the wheel and that if I just keep researching a little longer I'll find something.

Best,
Matt

On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 3:17 PM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> seems like coming to this as a programmer and not a librarian I may not be
> searching in all the right places. Do I need to write my own transformation,
> or has the wheel already been created? Best,
> Matt
>
> PS I apologize if I have misrepresented anything about CSL and the various
> citeproc projects. I am still only a couple weeks old to this project.
> [0]http://listserv.loc.gov/cgi-bin/wa?A1=ind1412&L=mods
> [1]http://citationstyles.org/
> [2]https://hackage.haskell.org/package/citeproc-hs
> [3]https://github.com/brechtm/citeproc-py
> [4]https://github.com/brechtm/citeproc-py/issues/25
> [5]https://sourceforge.net/projects/bibutils/
> [6]https://github.com/brechtm/citeproc-py/blob/master/README.rst#citeproc-py
> [7]http://exist-db.org/exist/apps/homepage/index.html

Re: Generating formatted Citations for the Web from MODs

Sebastian Karcher
I believe the folks at Uni Bielefeld's Katalog Plus do what you want. They definitely use CSL, I believe via citeproc-js in citeproc-node, and I'd assume they use their MARC data. I don't actually think the code is open, but it might be and/or they might be willing to share stuff with you. I don't have a direct contact, maybe someone is reading along here, but I do know one of the principal architects tweets under @ChPietsch
Another place to look to would be Docear (they definitely read along here), which users citeproc-js and has a native database in bibtex, so they're definitely converting BibTeX to CSLJSON somehow and are fully open.
But since the Bielefeld people do exactly what you have in mind, that'd be my first attempt.

On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 4:25 PM, Matthew Roth <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> UTF-8[4]. Additionally, either the mapping is off in their BibTex parser or
> bibutils[5] is producing poor BibTex files from the inputted MODs files.
> Finally, the library according to the README.rst[6] is still not ready for
> production. Ideally, there would be an Xquery/XSL transformation that we
> could call from our web application which is built upon exist-db[7]. I
> suppose our next step may be writing our own transformation, however, it
> seems like coming to this as a programmer and not a librarian I may not be
> searching in all the right places. Do I need to write my own transformation,
> or has the wheel already been created? Best,
> Matt
>
> PS I apologize if I have misrepresented anything about CSL and the various
> citeproc projects. I am still only a couple weeks old to this project.

Sebastian Karcher, PhD

Re: Generating formatted Citations for the Web from MODs

fbennett
The Asia & Europe Cluster at Heidelberg carries their content in MODS,
channeled to citeproc-js for rendering, with multilingual citation
support. The architect at Heidelberg is Jens Petersen, his contact
details are here:

    http://www.asia-europe.uni-heidelberg.de/en/people/associate-members/associate-members-person-details/persdetail/oestergaard-petersen.html

You are very right to say that documentation on walking data between
the various formats should be closer to the surface. As things have
stabilized over the past year or so, it is within view - all we are
wanting is the time to work on it!

Frank

On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 7:40 AM, Sebastian Karcher
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> Endnote, etc. So if you could find such openly licensed XSLT, it
>>> should be fairly easy to adapt to a CSL workflow.
>>>
>>> But there's another option, I suppose:
>>>
>>> I wrote the first implementation of CSL using MODS in an exist-based
>>> workflow. So that code would probably work, with the downside that it
>>> would be based on an old version of the CSL spec. But you might not
>>> care about that.
>>>
>>> http://sourceforge.net/p/xbiblio/code/HEAD/tree/attic/citeproc-xsl/
>>>
>>> Bruce

> Sebastian Karcher, PhD

Re: Generating formatted Citations for the Web from MODs

On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 2:37 PM, Matthew Roth <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The problem to me is that most expect a JSON format that is not
> too well documented--as best as I can tell, some of the discussions I've
> come across on this format our several years old at this point.

You've found our CSL JSON schema? I'm pretty sure both Zotero and
Mendeley use this to ensure conformity.

https://github.com/citation-style-language/schema/blob/master/csl-data.json
(for individual bibligraphic items)
https://github.com/citation-style-language/schema/blob/master/csl-citation.json
(for citations to said items)

> citeproc-hs[2] a haskell library seems to have
> once expected MODs, but 1. I am not familiar with haskell and two it appears
> to not have been kept to date. I have not ruled it out completely, but need
> to consult a primer on haskell first.

I recommend taking another look here. The original author of
citeproc-hs, Andrea Rossato, has indeed been relatively inactive for a
while, but recently announced a willingness to resume work on
citeproc-hs. Meanwhile, the author of pandoc, John McFarlane, created
pandoc-citeproc (based on citeproc-hs, but much more actively
maintained), and extensive work was done to get a good BibTeX-to-CSL
JSON mapping in pandoc (mostly by Nick Bart on the pandoc forums).

https://code.google.com/p/citeproc-hs/issues/detail?id=101#c10
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/pandoc-citeproc
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/pandoc-discuss

Re: Generating formatted Citations for the Web from MODs

Michel Krämer
Dear all,

Please note that citeproc-java supports several input formats such as
BibTeX, RIS and EndNote. It also has got a nice command line tool that
can be used to convert BibTeX or EndNote to CSL, for example.

What you have to do, though, is to build the tool from source as the
current release 0.6 does not have this features yet (except for BibTeX
import). However, building is relatively easy. It's all described on the
website:

http://michel-kraemer.github.io/citeproc-java/

After building the tool you can import RIS and EndNote in the same way
you import BibTeX.

I'm currently working on version 1.0 which I plan to release some time
soon. I'm very busy at the moment so the release might be around Christmas.

I hope this helps. Please let me know, if you need any assistance.

Cheers,
Michel

On 02.12.2014 03:03, Rintze Zelle wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 2:37 PM, Matthew Roth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The problem to me is that most expect a JSON format that is not
>> too well documented--as best as I can tell, some of the discussions I've
>> come across on this format our several years old at this point.
>
> You've found our CSL JSON schema? I'm pretty sure both Zotero and
> Mendeley use this to ensure conformity.
>
> https://github.com/citation-style-language/schema/blob/master/csl-data.json
> (for individual bibligraphic items)
> https://github.com/citation-style-language/schema/blob/master/csl-citation.json
> (for citations to said items)
>
>> citeproc-hs[2] a haskell library seems to have
>> once expected MODs, but 1. I am not familiar with haskell and two it appears
>> to not have been kept to date. I have not ruled it out completely, but need
>> to consult a primer on haskell first.
>
> I recommend taking another look here. The original author of
> citeproc-hs, Andrea Rossato, has indeed been relatively inactive for a
> while, but recently announced a willingness to resume work on
> citeproc-hs. Meanwhile, the author of pandoc, John McFarlane, created
> pandoc-citeproc (based on citeproc-hs, but much more actively
> maintained), and extensive work was done to get a good BibTeX-to-CSL
> JSON mapping in pandoc (mostly by Nick Bart on the pandoc forums).
>
> https://code.google.com/p/citeproc-hs/issues/detail?id=101#c10
> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/pandoc-citeproc
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/pandoc-discuss
>
> Best,

Re: Generating formatted Citations for the Web from MODs

Nick Bart
Matthew,

I don't know what motivated you or your organization to choose MODS; the main problem I see is that MODS is nowhere as standardized as biblatex, bibtex (which I would consider to be too limited for serious use though), or CSL; so if I were you I'd probably try to use one of these formats for my database instead.

Still, if you must use MODS, some background on citeproc-hs and pandoc-citeproc:

citeproc-hs and pandoc-citeproc incorporate bibutils to first convert all bibliography database input formats bibutils recognizes to MODS (with the exception of CSL JSON and MODS itself for citeproc-hs, and CSL JSON, CSL YAML, bibtex, biblatex, and MODS for pandoc-citeproc).

Thus, as Andrea Rossato, the citeproc-hs author, has pointed out repeatedly, citeproc-hs's MODS parser has been written with the sole aim of parsing MODS records generated by bibutils, and nothing else, so depending on the MODS flavour you will be using, your mileage may vary considerably.

Unfortunately, the whatever-to-MODS (bibutils) and MODS-to-CSL JSON (citeproc-hs) routines suffered from many bugs, some of which have not been fixed to this date (for open bug reports see http://sourceforge.net/p/bibutils/discussion/general/ and http://code.google.com/p/citeproc-hs/issues).

pandoc-citeproc inherited the citeproc-hs MODS parser essentially unchanged, and since pandoc-citeproc bypasses the MODS-related routines of both bibutils and citeproc-hs completely for what appear to be its most popular input formats, biblatex and bibtex (CSL JSON or CSL YAML not needing conversion anyway), there has never been much demand on the pandoc-citeproc forum for fixing MODS-related bugs.

That being said, if you want to get an idea of whether pandoc-citeproc's MODS-to-CSL JSON conversion could work for you, try `pandoc-citeproc --bib2json yourbibfile.mods`.

Best,
Nick

On 1 December 2014 at 19:37, Matthew Roth <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

To your first question, MODS comes out of the library world, and so is also a way to bring MARC data into the 21st century. Pretty sure that's why they're using it.

Also, while MODS is less, shall we say controlled, it's also more expressive than the alternatives you note.