How should publishers link to CSL styles

How should publishers link to CSL styles

Sebastian Karcher
Hi everyone,
I'm in touch with a rep from Taylor and Francis about getting a Journal/style list similar to what we got from Springer so that we can add their journals to repo (T&F started consolidating their styles about a year ago).
I also suggested to them linking to CSL styles in their instructions to authors and she seemed open to that, but asked what to link to. Since every major CSL project runs its own version of how to install styles that seemed tricky. How should we go about that? What should I ask them to put in their author guides?

Re: How should publishers link to CSL styles

Bruce D'Arcus-3
Great questions!

Two things, which I've said before:

1) I still think it'd be great for authors to be able to do a
one-click install from an author instruction page at a journal site.

2) that at some point, journals should just self-host the styles

Can we really not make both of these possible?

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 2:31 PM, Sebastian Karcher
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I'm in touch with a rep from Taylor and Francis about getting a
> Journal/style list similar to what we got from Springer so that we can add
> their journals to repo (T&F started consolidating their styles about a year
> ago).
> I also suggested to them linking to CSL styles in their instructions to
> authors and she seemed open to that, but asked what to link to. Since every
> major CSL project runs its own version of how to install styles that seemed
> tricky. How should we go about that? What should I ask them to put in their
> author guides?
>
> Sebastian

Re: How should publishers link to CSL styles

Sebastian Karcher
I'm not sure about 2 - I see a lot of potential downsides to that, too, but I thought
1) was in general already possible - Zotero (and I believe Mendeley) will install CSLs server with the right mime-type - I believe text/x-csl for Zotero.
Charles - what about Papers?

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I'm in touch with a rep from Taylor and Francis about getting a
> Journal/style list similar to what we got from Springer so that we can add
> their journals to repo (T&F started consolidating their styles about a year
> ago).
> I also suggested to them linking to CSL styles in their instructions to
> authors and she seemed open to that, but asked what to link to. Since every
> major CSL project runs its own version of how to install styles that seemed
> tricky. How should we go about that? What should I ask them to put in their
> author guides?
>
> Sebastian

Re: How should publishers link to CSL styles

> On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 2:31 PM, Sebastian Karcher
>> I also suggested to them linking to CSL styles in their instructions to
>> authors and she seemed open to that, but asked what to link to. Since every
>> major CSL project runs its own version of how to install styles that seemed
>> tricky. How should we go about that? What should I ask them to put in their
>> author guides?

Point to www.zotero.org/styles ? See also "What is the best way to
point authors to a certain CSL style?" at
http://citationstyles.org/faq/ for more thoughts.

Re: How should publishers link to CSL styles

For Papers, our approach is that the user should not have to download or install anything. The CSL repo is simply included in the app. We need to improve the way styles are updated, as it's currently only done on new releases.

Users can just drag a CSL file into the app otherwise.

One issue with downloading of styles from a web site is that in the case of Safari, it changes the extension to .txt.

Charles

On Apr 9, 2013, at 8:37 PM, "Bruce D'Arcus" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great questions!
>
> Two things, which I've said before:
>
> 1) I still think it'd be great for authors to be able to do a
> one-click install from an author instruction page at a journal site.
>
> 2) that at some point, journals should just self-host the styles
>
> Can we really not make both of these possible?
>
> On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 2:31 PM, Sebastian Karcher
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>> I'm in touch with a rep from Taylor and Francis about getting a
>> Journal/style list similar to what we got from Springer so that we can add
>> their journals to repo (T&F started consolidating their styles about a year
>> ago).
>> I also suggested to them linking to CSL styles in their instructions to
>> authors and she seemed open to that, but asked what to link to. Since every
>> major CSL project runs its own version of how to install styles that seemed
>> tricky. How should we go about that? What should I ask them to put in their
>> author guides?
>>
>> Sebastian
>>
>> --
>> Sebastian Karcher
>> Ph.D. Candidate
>> Department of Political Science
>> Northwestern University

Re: How should publishers link to CSL styles

Dan Stillman
On 4/9/13 2:47 PM, Sebastian Karcher wrote:
> 1) was in general already possible - Zotero (and I believe Mendeley)
> will install CSLs server with the right mime-type - I believe
> text/x-csl for Zotero.

We've supported application/vnd.citationstyles.style+xml for a while, so
it'd be better to use that than text/x-csl.

FWIW, in theory the Zotero repo (which Zotero clients check in with
daily) is set up to fetch, cache, and serve updated styles from other
servers as long as the style has a valid rel="link". This is currently
disabled, since I haven't tested it, but we should be able to support
this easily.

Re: How should publishers link to CSL styles

Interesting development, Sebastian! On Bruce's points ...

(1) As Sebastian says, one-click installs work for Zotero and
Mendeley. MLZ accepts some non-repo styles, and like Zotero, I cache
them on the MLZ project site, and supply the auto-install mime type
from there. I've wondered whether that could be supplied in a layer
more closely tied to the repo (github.io?) -- to more clearly brand
CSL styles as agnostic entities, independent of a specific platform.
It might also be good to have a CSL logo mark and publisher-facing
guidelines on linking, again for branding purposes.

(2) Thinking out loud, publisher-hosted, publisher-maintained CSL
styles would be a very good thing to see, if tied to a CSL
certification process. The QA work by Rintze and Sebastian has been
very important in bringing things to this stage, perhaps some value
can be unlocked there for support of the project.

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 3:37 AM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great questions!
>
> Two things, which I've said before:
>
> 1) I still think it'd be great for authors to be able to do a
> one-click install from an author instruction page at a journal site.
>
> 2) that at some point, journals should just self-host the styles
>
> Can we really not make both of these possible?
>
> On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 2:31 PM, Sebastian Karcher
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>> I'm in touch with a rep from Taylor and Francis about getting a
>> Journal/style list similar to what we got from Springer so that we can add
>> their journals to repo (T&F started consolidating their styles about a year
>> ago).
>> I also suggested to them linking to CSL styles in their instructions to
>> authors and she seemed open to that, but asked what to link to. Since every
>> major CSL project runs its own version of how to install styles that seemed
>> tricky. How should we go about that? What should I ask them to put in their
>> author guides?
>>
>> Sebastian
>>
>> --
>> Sebastian Karcher
>> Ph.D. Candidate
>> Department of Political Science
>> Northwestern University

Re: How should publishers link to CSL styles

Carles Pina

In Mendeley: the publisher could host the style in any place and then
have a link like:
mendeley://csl://http://publisher.com/style/style1.csl

The browser will invoke Mendeley to handle this link, which one will
download the style, install and select it.

We always push the publishers to add the styles to citationstyles.org
github repository (with more or less success).

Regards,

On 9 April 2013 19:47, Sebastian Karcher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm not sure about 2 - I see a lot of potential downsides to that, too, but
> I thought
> 1) was in general already possible - Zotero (and I believe Mendeley) will
> install CSLs server with the right mime-type - I believe text/x-csl for
> Zotero.
> Charles - what about Papers?
>

> On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 12:37 PM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Great questions!
>>
>> Two things, which I've said before:
>>
>> 1) I still think it'd be great for authors to be able to do a
>> one-click install from an author instruction page at a journal site.
>>
>> 2) that at some point, journals should just self-host the styles
>>
>> Can we really not make both of these possible?
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 2:31 PM, Sebastian Karcher
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi everyone,
>> > I'm in touch with a rep from Taylor and Francis about getting a
>> > Journal/style list similar to what we got from Springer so that we can
>> > add
>> > their journals to repo (T&F started consolidating their styles about a
>> > year
>> > ago).
>> > I also suggested to them linking to CSL styles in their instructions to
>> > authors and she seemed open to that, but asked what to link to. Since
>> > every
>> > major CSL project runs its own version of how to install styles that
>> > seemed
>> > tricky. How should we go about that? What should I ask them to put in
>> > their
>> > author guides?
>> >
>> > Sebastian
>> >
>> > --
>> > Sebastian Karcher
>> > Ph.D. Candidate
>> > Department of Political Science
>> > Northwestern University

Carles Pina | Software Engineer
http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/

Re: How should publishers link to CSL styles

Robert Knight
Hello,

I think I might be re-stating Frank's suggestion here.

For mendeley:// links, we have an intermediate URL at
open.mendeley.com (eg.
http://open.mendeley.com/library/filter/mendeley-suggest) which
forwards to mendeley:// or gives the user further steps if they do not
have Mendeley installed.

We could provide a similar page on citationstyles.org which would
handle the details of getting the style into the user's app.  A simple
implementation would present a list of apps and clicking one would
forward to that app (eg. via a mendeley:// link, or a direct CSL link
for Zotero) or provide suitable instructions.

Regards,
Rob.

On 10 April 2013 09:42, Carles Pina <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In Mendeley: the publisher could host the style in any place and then
> have a link like:
> mendeley://csl://http://publisher.com/style/style1.csl
>
> The browser will invoke Mendeley to handle this link, which one will
> download the style, install and select it.
>
> We always push the publishers to add the styles to citationstyles.org
> github repository (with more or less success).
>
> Regards,
>
> On 9 April 2013 19:47, Sebastian Karcher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm not sure about 2 - I see a lot of potential downsides to that, too, but
>> I thought
>> 1) was in general already possible - Zotero (and I believe Mendeley) will
>> install CSLs server with the right mime-type - I believe text/x-csl for
>> Zotero.
>> Charles - what about Papers?
>>

>> On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 12:37 PM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Great questions!
>>>
>>> Two things, which I've said before:
>>>
>>> 1) I still think it'd be great for authors to be able to do a
>>> one-click install from an author instruction page at a journal site.
>>>
>>> 2) that at some point, journals should just self-host the styles
>>>
>>> Can we really not make both of these possible?

>> Sebastian Karcher
>> Ph.D. Candidate
>> Department of Political Science
>> Northwestern University

> Carles Pina | Software Engineer
> http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/
>
> Mendeley Limited | London, UK | www.mendeley.com
> Registered in England and Wales | Company Number 6419015

Re: How should publishers link to CSL styles

Bruce D'Arcus-3
Question: what's involved in "getting the style into the user's app"?

For sake of argument, why can't we have a simple general solution like:

CSL styles go into a common directory; on linux, say ~/.cslstyles or some such.

Apps then simply watch that directory.

I'm not a developer, so probably missing some detail, but I think
simple is better all around.

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 7:43 AM, Robert Knight
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I think I might be re-stating Frank's suggestion here.
>
> For mendeley:// links, we have an intermediate URL at
> open.mendeley.com (eg.
> http://open.mendeley.com/library/filter/mendeley-suggest) which
> forwards to mendeley:// or gives the user further steps if they do not
> have Mendeley installed.
>
> We could provide a similar page on citationstyles.org which would
> handle the details of getting the style into the user's app.  A simple
> implementation would present a list of apps and clicking one would
> forward to that app (eg. via a mendeley:// link, or a direct CSL link
> for Zotero) or provide suitable instructions.
>
> Regards,
> Rob.
>
> On 10 April 2013 09:42, Carles Pina <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In Mendeley: the publisher could host the style in any place and then
>> have a link like:
>> mendeley://csl://http://publisher.com/style/style1.csl
>>
>> The browser will invoke Mendeley to handle this link, which one will
>> download the style, install and select it.
>>
>> We always push the publishers to add the styles to citationstyles.org
>> github repository (with more or less success).
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> On 9 April 2013 19:47, Sebastian Karcher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I'm not sure about 2 - I see a lot of potential downsides to that, too, but
>>> I thought
>>> 1) was in general already possible - Zotero (and I believe Mendeley) will
>>> install CSLs server with the right mime-type - I believe text/x-csl for
>>> Zotero.
>>> Charles - what about Papers?

>>> --
>>> Sebastian Karcher
>>> Ph.D. Candidate
>>> Department of Political Science
>>> Northwestern University

>> Carles Pina | Software Engineer
>> http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/
>>
>> Mendeley Limited | London, UK | www.mendeley.com
>> Registered in England and Wales | Company Number 6419015

Re: How should publishers link to CSL styles

Robert Knight
> For sake of argument, why can't we have a simple general solution like:
> CSL styles go into a common directory; on linux, say ~/.cslstyles or some such.

That is not simple for the majority of users.

The most generic thing I can suggest is that you provide a link to a
.csl file and serve it with the right mime type.
Zotero (in Firefox at least) intercepts the download based on the mime
types, native apps can register as handlers for the .csl extension
and can provide drag-and-drop support.  Mendeley is not currently
registered as a handler for .csl files I believe but it should be a
simple change to make.

Regards,
Rob.