Quantcast

How to define in-text CSL format for HTML citations?

How to define in-text CSL format for HTML citations?

cboettig
Hi List,

I posted this question (text below) as a Github issue on the CSL pages and Rintze suggested I post it to this list as well.

I would like to define a CSL file in which the in-text format includes a link to the resource. Can this be done in CSL by say, modifying the layout element appropriately?  I cannot figure out how to use a variable in the prefix/suffix.

I imagine a `<citation>` element looking something like this:

    <layout prefix="(<a href='URL'>" suffix="</a>)" delimiter="; ">
          <text macro="author-short"/>
          <text macro="issued" prefix=" "/>
    </layout>

but cannot see how to get URL value from something like `<text macro="url">` into the prefix.

Given the importance of web-based formats and the ease of using CSL to generate citations in markdown and html documents with tools such as pandoc, it seems natural that individuals would want to style in-text citations not only to reflect journal norms of author surnames etc, but include such features as actual links, perhaps add `title` attributes for mouse-over effects, and so forth.  If this is not possible in the current implementation, is this something CSL might address in the future?

I imagine that a flexible implementation of this could further be used to add semantic data to inline citations, e.g.

    <a rel="cito:UsesMethodIn" href="http://doi.org/10.1186/2041-1480-1-S1-S6">Shotton (2010)<a/>

Can any of this be done using the current schema?  If not, is this a reasonable thing to work towards or should it be left to some other tool?

Thanks,

Carl

--
Carl Boettiger
UC Santa Cruz

Re: How to define in-text CSL format for HTML citations?

Sebastian Karcher
My tendency would be for CSL to stay out of the "styling/linking"
issue and leave that to individual implementations (in other words,
citeproc-hs or citerproc-js etc could accept flags for hyperlinking
citations etc.) The main reason would be that otherwise we'd have to
start duplicating styles with various styling implementations and that
sounds like a nightmare.

That said, for your particular issue:
I'm not sure what you're suggesting makes sense - the layout is for an
entire citation, which can contain multiple item, each of which can
have a URL, so you wouldn't want the URL in the layout field or rather
- which one would you want?). But you could, of course, easily do
something like
<layout prefix="(" suffix=")" delimiter="; ">
<group prefix="<a href='" suffix="</a>">
<text variable="URL" suffix="'>">
<text variable="title"/>
<text macro="author"/>
</group>
</layout>

with proper escaping, obviously.

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 12:09 PM, Carl Boettiger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I posted this question (text below) as a Github issue on the CSL pages and
> Rintze suggested I post it to this list as well.
>
> I would like to define a CSL file in which the in-text format includes a
> link to the resource. Can this be done in CSL by say, modifying the layout
> element appropriately?  I cannot figure out how to use a variable in the
> prefix/suffix.
>
> I imagine a `<citation>` element looking something like this:
>
>     <layout prefix="(<a href='URL'>" suffix="</a>)" delimiter="; ">
>           <text macro="author-short"/>
>           <text macro="issued" prefix=" "/>
>     </layout>
>

> but cannot see how to get URL value from something like `<text macro="url">`
> into the prefix.
>

> Given the importance of web-based formats and the ease of using CSL to
> generate citations in markdown and html documents with tools such as pandoc,
> it seems natural that individuals would want to style in-text citations not
> only to reflect journal norms of author surnames etc, but include such
> features as actual links, perhaps add `title` attributes for mouse-over
> effects, and so forth.  If this is not possible in the current
> implementation, is this something CSL might address in the future?
>
> I imagine that a flexible implementation of this could further be used to
> add semantic data to inline citations, e.g.
>
>     <a rel="cito:UsesMethodIn"
> href="http://doi.org/10.1186/2041-1480-1-S1-S6">Shotton (2010)<a/>
>
> Can any of this be done using the current schema?  If not, is this a
> reasonable thing to work towards or should it be left to some other tool?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Carl
>
> --
> Carl Boettiger
> UC Santa Cruz
> http://carlboettiger.info/

Re: How to define in-text CSL format for HTML citations?

Bruce D'Arcus-3

What Sebastian said. CSL is agnostic about output format, and it's up to implementations to sort out these details.