Institutional authors

panyasan

the "author" field has "family" and "given", but what about insitutional authors (for example, "World Bank" or "United Nations")?

Thanks,

Christian

Re: Institutional authors

fbennett
On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 6:58 AM, panyasan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the "author" field has "family" and "given", but what about insitutional
> authors (for example, "World Bank" or "United Nations")?

This is one we should settle.  In citeproc-js, either of two
conventions are accepted: (1) a "literal" sub-field (instead of
"family" and "given"; or (2) placing a value in the "family" sub-field
only, and leaving the "given" value nil.

It seems to me that one or the other of those should be specified, but not both.

> Thanks,
>
> Christian

Re: Institutional authors

Bruce D'Arcus-3
On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 6:26 PM, Frank Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 6:58 AM, panyasan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> the "author" field has "family" and "given", but what about insitutional
>> authors (for example, "World Bank" or "United Nations")?
>
> This is one we should settle.  In citeproc-js, either of two
> conventions are accepted: (1) a "literal" sub-field (instead of
> "family" and "given"; or (2) placing a value in the "family" sub-field
> only, and leaving the "given" value nil.
>
> It seems to me that one or the other of those should be specified, but not both.

FWIW, my preference is for, in addition to the family/given stuff, a
single "name" key/property, which by definition is an unparsed name;
typically most appropriate for institutional authors names.

It's consistent, and more direct ("literal" is rather technical language).

Re: Institutional authors

fbennett
On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 8:13 AM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 6:26 PM, Frank Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 6:58 AM, panyasan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> the "author" field has "family" and "given", but what about insitutional
>>> authors (for example, "World Bank" or "United Nations")?
>>
>> This is one we should settle.  In citeproc-js, either of two
>> conventions are accepted: (1) a "literal" sub-field (instead of
>> "family" and "given"; or (2) placing a value in the "family" sub-field
>> only, and leaving the "given" value nil.
>>
>> It seems to me that one or the other of those should be specified, but not both.
>
> FWIW, my preference is for, in addition to the family/given stuff, a
> single "name" key/property, which by definition is an unparsed name;
> typically most appropriate for institutional authors names.
>
> It's consistent, and more direct ("literal" is rather technical language).

Would be happy with that, too.  In the citeproc-js manual, I could
indicate that all three methods are recognized, but (if the CSL spec
goes with it) that "name" is preferred, and the other methods are
deprecated.  Adjusting the processor code would be trivial to do.

> Bruce

Re: Institutional authors

Jerome, Ron
> > FWIW, my preference is for, in addition to the family/given stuff, a
> > single "name" key/property, which by definition is an unparsed name;
> > typically most appropriate for institutional authors names.
> >
> > It's consistent, and more direct ("literal" is rather technical
> language).
>
> Would be happy with that, too.  In the citeproc-js manual, I could
> indicate that all three methods are recognized, but (if the CSL spec
> goes with it) that "name" is preferred, and the other methods are
> deprecated.  Adjusting the processor code would be trivial to do.

1+

That's exactly what I do in my database schema as well.  I have a "fullname" field which captures the "literal" string and if the author name is NOT defined as an institution, it is also parsed into "firstname", "lastname" and "initial" fields.

Ron.