Instructions for simple testing of citeproc-xsl with gestalt xslt processor

Instructions for simple testing of citeproc-xsl with gestalt xslt processor

panyasan
Administrator
Hello,

I have for a long time been interested in using csl/citeproc-xsl for my web app, but the dependency on Java/Saxon as XSLT2.0 processor has made it impossible to use it in the targeted server environment. Now I have found the stand-alone XSLT2.0 processor "Gestalt" (http://gestalt.sourceforge.net/) and was able to compile it.

Now I want to test it on citeproc-xsl but don't know where to start. I have checked out the SVN tree. Is there a simple test I can run to see whether the whole thing works?

I hope I didn't miss something very obvious.

Thanks,

Christian

Re: Instructions for simple testing of citeproc-xsl with gestalt xslt processor

Bruce D'Arcus-3
On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 4:04 PM, panyasan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have for a long time been interested in using csl/citeproc-xsl for my web
> app, but the dependency on Java/Saxon as XSLT2.0 processor has made it
> impossible to use it in the targeted server environment. Now I have found
> the stand-alone XSLT2.0 processor "Gestalt"
> (http://gestalt.sourceforge.net/) and was able to compile it.
>
> Now I want to test it on citeproc-xsl but don't know where to start. I have
> checked out the SVN tree. Is there a simple test I can run to see whether
> the whole thing works?

Hmm ... someone else asked me about this earlier today. The xslt code
is way out of date.

Can you tell us more about your web app, and what you want to use CSL for in it?

Re: Instructions for simple testing of citeproc-xsl with gestalt xslt processor

panyasan
Administrator

Bruce D'Arcus-3 wrote
On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 4:04 PM, panyasan <info@bibliograph.org> wrote:

> I have for a long time been interested in using csl/citeproc-xsl for my web
> app, but the dependency on Java/Saxon as XSLT2.0 processor has made it
> impossible to use it in the targeted server environment. Now I have found
> the stand-alone XSLT2.0 processor "Gestalt"
> (http://gestalt.sourceforge.net/) and was able to compile it.
>
> Now I want to test it on citeproc-xsl but don't know where to start. I have
> checked out the SVN tree. Is there a simple test I can run to see whether
> the whole thing works?

Hmm ... someone else asked me about this earlier today. The xslt code
is way out of date.

Can you tell us more about your web app, and what you want to use CSL for in it?

Bruce
Hi Bruce,

we've been in contact before, my app is http://www.bibliograph.org, a mulit-user, ajaxy reference manager in php and javascript. I am currently using OSBib to format references, but would really like to switch to CSL. I have seen that there is also a python implementation now, so I could try to call that from php to get the formatted references. Ideally, though, I would like to use xslt - maybe one day php will support xslt2. So you say that the current citeproc-xslt doesn't work?

Cheers,

Christian

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 4:56 PM, panyasan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> we've been in contact before, my app is http://www.bibliograph.org, a
> mulit-user, ajaxy reference manager in php and javascript.

Ah right; hi Christian.

> I am currently using OSBib to format references, but would really like to switch to CSL. I
> have seen that there is also a python implementation now, so I could try to
> call that from php to get the formatted references. Ideally, though, I would
> like to use xslt - maybe one day php will support xslt2. So you say that the
> current citeproc-xslt doesn't work?

It works, but with an old version of CSL. I simply don't have the time
to update the code.

Here's my sense of where things are:

1) the Zotero code, which is E4X; basically complete, but maybe not
that easy to integrate into other contexts

2) Frank Bennet's rewrite of 1; will probably be faster and easier to
extend, integrate elsewhere; about 40-50% done

3) Andrea's citeproc-hs; very, very fast (much faster than an XSLT
process), and almost complete; but it's Haskell (so may have hosting
issues and such)

4) Liam's Ruby port; I have no clue how complete it is, but it was
functional enough for him to release as a gem, and at least one
project (BibApp) seems to be using it.

5) Johan's Python version; again, don't know how complete it is, but
I'd guess a little less than #4, and maybe a little more than #2?

6) After a false start on trying to port Zotero's code to PHP, Ron
Jerome has made some progress on an OO-version for use in his Drupal
biblio module. But it's also not done (my vague guess is it's probably
about where #2 is; he can parse a CSL file, but not anything more ATM;
still, that's good).

All of which is to say, there's no great off-the-shelf version ATM for
use in a PHP app. But you do have some options to try (and contribute
to if you have the time and inclination). If I had a hunch, #6 might
be a good option for you.

Re: Instructions for simple testing of citeproc-xsl with gestalt xslt processor

panyasan
Administrator
Hello Bruce,

thank you for the detailed post with all the information. Seems like the project is still in transition. Too bad you abandoned the xslt part of it - but I know how it is when one is not a fulltime programmer paid to do this kind of job. So I'll wait a little longer to see wich of the sub-projects will be finished first - I would be able to use python, javascript and php and the Haskell port if it can be compiled to an executable binary for MacOS and Linux.

Thanks for the work of everyone in the project! I am looking forward to when we can concentrate on writing csl templates.

Christian

Bruce D'Arcus-3 wrote

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 2:47 PM, panyasan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would be able to use python, javascript and php
> and the Haskell port if it can be compiled to an executable binary for MacOS
> and Linux.

Citeproc-hs can definitely be compiled on these platforms. If you want
to experiment on OS X, I'd suggest:

1) install GHC using mac ports

2) install cabal yourself

3) install citeproc-hs by doing a simple "sudo cabal install citeproc-hs"

... and then probably also install pandoc with the citeproc option,
also using cabal.

> Thanks for the work of everyone in the project! I am looking forward to when
> we can concentrate on writing csl templates.

Well, the zotero repository currently has over a 1,000.

Re: Instructions for simple testing of citeproc-xsl with gestalt xslt processor

panyasan
Administrator
Hi Bruce,

that sounds very promising. I'll try it.

If this is successful, I think this should be documented somewhere on the xbiblio website. Right now, it is very hard to find out what the state of the project is by looking at the website.

I have always thought that this project has not received the broad attention it deserves - why does every proprietary and open source bibliography application need its own proprietary styling system when we could all work on an open standard!

So if there was a way for users to just "download and start playing", this would certainly help to spread the word. Downloadable binaries for different platforms would be immensely useful for a start, together with instructions how to use them.  If I succeed and find the time, I will write a tutorial based on the hints you have provided. Maybe someone can also produce Windows binaries - I don't have a windows box.

Thanks,

Christian

Bruce D'Arcus-3 wrote

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 1:06 PM, panyasan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If this is successful, I think this should be documented somewhere on the
> xbiblio website. Right now, it is very hard to find out what the state of
> the project is by looking at the website.

Yeah, I know. Part of the problem is SF; there's no wiki that makes it
easy to update content. I've periodically wondered if it might be
worth switching to, say, Google Code.

> I have always thought that this project has not received the broad attention
> it deserves - why does every proprietary and open source bibliography
> application need its own proprietary styling system when we could all work
> on an open standard!

True, but that's changing. A number of new projects have, or are in
the process of adding, CSL support (bibapp, mendeley, and scholarz.net
is looking at it). I suppose it'd be nice to document that too ;-)

> So if there was a way for users to just "download and start playing", this
> would certainly help to spread the word. Downloadable binaries for different
> platforms would be immensely useful for a start, together with instructions
> how to use them.  If I succeed and find the time,

Sounds good. Of course, the easiest demo is Zotero.