Quantcast

Journal Abbreviations file

Carles Pina
Hello,

My next project in Mendeley is to add "Journal Abbreviations".
Currently Mendeley Desktop has a workaround but it doesn't have proper
support (with UI, etc.).

In this feedback page:
http://feedback.mendeley.com/forums/4941-mendeley-feedback/suggestions/83173-journal-abbreviations

some users has posted a file with the format:
FULL_JOURNAL_NAME <tab> abbreviated

See for example:
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/75692408/AbbreviationsFixMendeley.zip

It seems that the users has been sending this file between them and improving.

I don't really know from where the original data came but I know that
has been used for a while for many users.

Questions:
a) Should the citation styles github repository contain a list of
journal abbreviations? We have citations and locales, so it may be
interesting for the community.
b) Could we use without legal problems the above file in the
citation-styles project? Mendeley hasn't done it, it has evolved from
different sources. Maybe it comes from places like
http://www.library.uq.edu.au/faqs/endnote/journal_terms.html but I
haven't checked.

Carles Pina | Software Engineer
http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/

Re: Journal Abbreviations file

Sebastian Karcher
on the Zotero side this is handled with a single list from MEDLINE -
the Medline data is under some type of open license, so no legal issue
there.  (The file is JSON - I think Zotero also has an algorithm to
abbreviate unknown journal titles, but I don't know that for sure).

We can obviously host list(s) on CSL and I actually intended to do
this at one time - that's why we have
https://github.com/citation-style-language/abbreviations which is
empty.
Feel free to push stuff to it.

For me abbreviations become most interesting from a CSL perspective if we either
a) we have multiple lists for different sets of journals (e.g. Endnote
says they have 11 different ones or so, I don't know how different
they are) and even more so if
b) we decide to include the information of which list to use in
citation styles (which - if there are multiple lists - I think would
be ideal). For that we'd need, again, a better sense of the
differences out there.

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 4:44 PM, Carles Pina <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My next project in Mendeley is to add "Journal Abbreviations".
> Currently Mendeley Desktop has a workaround but it doesn't have proper
> support (with UI, etc.).
>
> In this feedback page:
> http://feedback.mendeley.com/forums/4941-mendeley-feedback/suggestions/83173-journal-abbreviations
>
> some users has posted a file with the format:
> FULL_JOURNAL_NAME <tab> abbreviated
>
> See for example:
> http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/75692408/AbbreviationsFixMendeley.zip
>
> It seems that the users has been sending this file between them and improving.
>
> I don't really know from where the original data came but I know that
> has been used for a while for many users.
>
> Questions:
> a) Should the citation styles github repository contain a list of
> journal abbreviations? We have citations and locales, so it may be
> interesting for the community.
> b) Could we use without legal problems the above file in the
> citation-styles project? Mendeley hasn't done it, it has evolved from
> different sources. Maybe it comes from places like
> http://www.library.uq.edu.au/faqs/endnote/journal_terms.html but I
> haven't checked.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Carles Pina | Software Engineer
> http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/
>
> Mendeley Limited | London, UK | www.mendeley.com
> Registered in England and Wales | Company Number 6419015

Re: Journal Abbreviations file

David Lawrence
In addition to the ISSN-LTWA title word to abbreviation utility:
http://www.issn.org/2-22661-LTWA-online.php

I have used these resources (some of the listings are proprietary):

http://www.abbreviations.com/jas.php

http://www.wsulibs.wsu.edu/general/journal_abbreviations.html

http://www.sciencemag.org/site/feature/contribinfo/prep/res/journal_abbrevs.xhtml

http://www.library.illinois.edu/biotech/j-abbrev.html

http://www.aip.org/pubservs/style/4thed/appg.pdf‎

David W. Lawrence, PhD, MPH, Director
Center for Injury Prevention Policy and Practice
San Diego State University, School of Public Health
6475 Alvarado Road, Suite 105
San Diego, CA  92120  USA
[hidden email]
V 619 594 1994  Skype: DWL-SDCA
www.CIPPP.org  --  www.SafetyLit.org

On 16 June 2013 00:59, Sebastian Karcher <[hidden email]> wrote:
on the Zotero side this is handled with a single list from MEDLINE -
the Medline data is under some type of open license, so no legal issue
there.  (The file is JSON - I think Zotero also has an algorithm to

I'm searching it and I can't find (the Medline original files) (searching in NLM and other pages. I've found some XML files but they don't see to be free).

Do you have the URL?

I see the abbreviations (abbreviations.json) in Zotero_linux-i686/resource/schema but I don't see any comment or information from where it came (maybe in the git repo...).

I'd like to refetch this list (Medline) and perhaps other free lists to https://github.com/citation-style-language/abbreviations so we can all use it.
I'm contacting CASSI at the moment since they seem to have the information but not available to download, as far as I can see.

Carles Pina | Software Engineer
http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/

Re: Journal Abbreviations file

fbennett
On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 6:59 PM, Carles Pina <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On 16 June 2013 00:59, Sebastian Karcher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> on the Zotero side this is handled with a single list from MEDLINE -
>> the Medline data is under some type of open license, so no legal issue
>> there.  (The file is JSON - I think Zotero also has an algorithm to
>

> I'm searching it and I can't find (the Medline original files) (searching in
> NLM and other pages. I've found some XML files but they don't see to be
> free).
>
> Do you have the URL?
>
> I see the abbreviations (abbreviations.json) in
> Zotero_linux-i686/resource/schema but I don't see any comment or information
> from where it came (maybe in the git repo...).
>
> I'd like to refetch this list (Medline) and perhaps other free lists to
> https://github.com/citation-style-language/abbreviations so we can all use
> it.
> I'm contacting CASSI at the moment since they seem to have the information
> but not available to download, as far as I can see.

In the Zotero sources, the file is in the resource fork at:

    https://github.com/zotero/zotero/blob/master/resource/schema/abbreviations.json

I can't help on the MedLine data behind it.

Frank

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 8:51 PM, Frank Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 6:59 PM, Carles Pina <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> On 16 June 2013 00:59, Sebastian Karcher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> on the Zotero side this is handled with a single list from MEDLINE -
>>> the Medline data is under some type of open license, so no legal issue
>>> there.  (The file is JSON - I think Zotero also has an algorithm to
>>

>> I'm searching it and I can't find (the Medline original files) (searching in
>> NLM and other pages. I've found some XML files but they don't see to be
>> free).
>>
>> Do you have the URL?
>>
>> I see the abbreviations (abbreviations.json) in
>> Zotero_linux-i686/resource/schema but I don't see any comment or information
>> from where it came (maybe in the git repo...).
>>
>> I'd like to refetch this list (Medline) and perhaps other free lists to
>> https://github.com/citation-style-language/abbreviations so we can all use
>> it.
>> I'm contacting CASSI at the moment since they seem to have the information
>> but not available to download, as far as I can see.
>
> In the Zotero sources, the file is in the resource fork at:
>
>     https://github.com/zotero/zotero/blob/master/resource/schema/abbreviations.json

(oops, sorry, that wasn't your question)

> I can't help on the MedLine data behind it.
>
> Frank
>

>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Carles Pina | Software Engineer
>> http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/
>>
>> Mendeley Limited | London, UK | www.mendeley.com
>> Registered in England and Wales | Company Number 6419015

Re: Journal Abbreviations file

Carles Pina

On 8 July 2013 10:59, Carles Pina <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On 16 June 2013 00:59, Sebastian Karcher <[hidden email]> wrote:
on the Zotero side this is handled with a single list from MEDLINE -
the Medline data is under some type of open license, so no legal issue
there.  (The file is JSON - I think Zotero also has an algorithm to

I'm searching it and I can't find (the Medline original files) (searching in NLM and other pages. I've found some XML files but they don't see to be free).

Do you have the URL?

* Pubmed:

Linked from:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/nlmcatalog ("Journal Lists by FTP")

That files and a script (I'll write in Python) and we could create journal abbreviations lists. My understanding is that it's public domain: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/About/disclaimer.html so, as far as we attribute to them, it's ok

Usually now I'd say that sentence "any lawyer in the room?" but I just realized that we have one indeed, afaik not specialized in this topic. Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong, please.

* CAS:
There is a list here: http://www.cas.org/content/references/corejournals (core journal). The terms and conditions and so on is more complicated ( http://www.cas.org/legal ).

* CASSI (CAS Source Index) is even more restricted: http://cassi.cas.org/guidelines.jsp

To start I'd focus on Pubmed ones.

On 8 July 2013 14:57, Carles Pina <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 8 July 2013 10:59, Carles Pina <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>

>> On 16 June 2013 00:59, Sebastian Karcher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> on the Zotero side this is handled with a single list from MEDLINE -
>>> the Medline data is under some type of open license, so no legal issue
>>> there.  (The file is JSON - I think Zotero also has an algorithm to
>>

>> I'm searching it and I can't find (the Medline original files) (searching in NLM and other pages. I've found some XML files but they don't see to be free).
>>
>> Do you have the URL?
>

> * Pubmed:
> I've found:
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK3827/table/pubmedhelp.pubmedhelptable45/
>
> Linked from:
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/nlmcatalog ("Journal Lists by FTP")
>
> That files and a script (I'll write in Python) and we could create journal abbreviations lists. My understanding is that it's public domain: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/About/disclaimer.html so, as far as we attribute to them, it's ok

Here I show what I meant:
https://github.com/cpina/abbreviations/tree/master/ncbi

See the result:
https://raw.github.com/cpina/abbreviations/master/ncbi/abbreviations.txt
(it's the previous lists, deduplicated)

May this be useful?

--
Carles Pina | Software Engineer
http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/

Re: Journal Abbreviations file

FYI, I inquired at NCBI whether their abbreviation list is indeed in
the public domain, and they confirmed it is:

--- (quote)
These table/files:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK3827/table/pubmedhelp.pubmedhelptable45/
are NCBI generated and therefore in the public domain,  so you do not
need a permission for use:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/About/disclaimer.html
---

As an aside, does anybody have a preference for the format used to
store abbreviations in the CSL repo? Tab-delimited CSV or JSON?

Rintze

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 12:39 PM, Carles Pina <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Here I show what I meant:
> https://github.com/cpina/abbreviations/tree/master/ncbi
>
> See the result:
> https://raw.github.com/cpina/abbreviations/master/ncbi/abbreviations.txt
> (it's the previous lists, deduplicated)
>
> May this be useful?

Re: Journal Abbreviations file

Bruce D'Arcus-3
My opinion is less important than the implementers here, but given
that we already do XML and JSON, I'd suggest JSON would be better than
adding a third.

Bruce

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 1:56 PM, Rintze Zelle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FYI, I inquired at NCBI whether their abbreviation list is indeed in
> the public domain, and they confirmed it is:
>
> --- (quote)
> These table/files:
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK3827/table/pubmedhelp.pubmedhelptable45/
> are NCBI generated and therefore in the public domain,  so you do not
> need a permission for use:
>
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/About/disclaimer.html
> ---
>
> As an aside, does anybody have a preference for the format used to
> store abbreviations in the CSL repo? Tab-delimited CSV or JSON?
>
> Rintze
>
> On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 12:39 PM, Carles Pina <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Here I show what I meant:
>> https://github.com/cpina/abbreviations/tree/master/ncbi
>>
>> See the result:
>> https://raw.github.com/cpina/abbreviations/master/ncbi/abbreviations.txt
>> (it's the previous lists, deduplicated)
>>
>> May this be useful?

Re: Journal Abbreviations file

We do use tab-delimited CSV for storing style metadata at
https://github.com/citation-style-language/utilities/tree/master/generate_dependent_styles/data
, but I think the Zotero team generally prefers JSON, so it would be
good to hear from them :).

Rintze

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 2:19 PM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My opinion is less important than the implementers here, but given
> that we already do XML and JSON, I'd suggest JSON would be better than
> adding a third.
>
> Bruce
>
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 1:56 PM, Rintze Zelle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> FYI, I inquired at NCBI whether their abbreviation list is indeed in
>> the public domain, and they confirmed it is:
>>
>> --- (quote)
>> These table/files:
>> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK3827/table/pubmedhelp.pubmedhelptable45/
>> are NCBI generated and therefore in the public domain,  so you do not
>> need a permission for use:
>>
>> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/About/disclaimer.html
>> ---
>>
>> As an aside, does anybody have a preference for the format used to
>> store abbreviations in the CSL repo? Tab-delimited CSV or JSON?
>>
>> Rintze
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 12:39 PM, Carles Pina <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Here I show what I meant:
>>> https://github.com/cpina/abbreviations/tree/master/ncbi
>>>
>>> See the result:
>>> https://raw.github.com/cpina/abbreviations/master/ncbi/abbreviations.txt
>>> (it's the previous lists, deduplicated)
>>>
>>> May this be useful?

Re: Journal Abbreviations file

aurimas
Carles,

Have you heard back anything from CAS or CASSI about the legality of compiling abbreviation lists in JSON for re-distribution?

I've been looking around for different styles that require abbreviations and I'm not coming across that many different abbreviation lists. Most require LTWA, some reference MEDLINE/Index Medicus, which is essentially LTWA with a few changes. Both of those are not restricted AFAIK and CSL could easily distribute them.

However, ACS journals refer to CASSI (I actually thought CAS was essentially the same list), which, as Carles points out is copyrighted and their terms of use pretty clearly state that you cannot compile the abbreviations into a large list for distribution. It's a bit odd that they would be this restrictive, considering that access to CASSI is free. If we can't compile it into a JSON file, I figured that the reference managers could have users click buttons to "automatically" retrieve abbreviations for the journals in their libraries. That seems to be ok with their ToS. http://www.library.illinois.edu/biotech/j-abbrev.html suggests that CASSI is also based on LTWA, but obviously, like with MEDLINE, there may be some corrections that need to be accounted for.

I also came across an abbreviation list used by Society for Biblical Studies. It's published in The SBL Handbook of Style (section 8.4.1) and is obviously copyrighted. Their copyright notice (http://www.sbl-site.org/publications/publishing_fairuse.aspx), however, does not seem very restrictive and perhaps they would grant rights to redistribute the list if inquired (I haven't yet).

http://www.library.illinois.edu/biotech/j-abbrev.html also mentions BIOSIS and a couple other lists (they all seem to be LTWA-based), but I have not found any styles that reference these. Do you guys know if they are actually used? There's also the WoS list http://images.webofknowledge.com/WOK46/help/WOS/A_abrvjt.html but again, I haven't seen a style that uses it.

Finally, I know that Bluebook has a bunch of abbreviation lists, but they are copyrighted and, as Frank has discovered, Bluebook holds on to their copyright very tightly. ALWD may also have abbreviations, but I don't have access to either of the manuals, so I can't comment exactly.

So basically, my concern is that, with the exception of MEDLINE and LTWA, all the other lists are copyrighted, which essentially puts a stop to CSL distributing them.

I had started writing a formal specification for abbreviation lists (https://gist.github.com/aurimasv/6878178). The gist of it is that managing the lists and generating abbreviations would be left up to the reference manager. CSL would have been the source of the actual lists, but considering the above, perhaps it's best to leave obtaining/generating the lists up to the reference managers as well.

CSL would simply identify the list that needs to be used for a style (the list identifiers would have to be agreed upon), the CSL processor would request the reference manager to generate an abbreviation for a particular field given an abbreviation list ID (falling back to unabbreviated form otherwise), and the rest would be left up to the reference managers to implement as they see fit.

I'd love to have this subject finalized as soon as possible, so that we can properly implement abbreviation lists in Zotero.

Thanks for your input.
Aurimas.

Re: Journal Abbreviations file

fbennett
Curious to see what happens with this. Carles?

Frank

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 10:52 AM, aurimas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> (https://gist.github.com/aurimasv/6878178). The gist of it is that managing
> the lists and generating abbreviations would be left up to the reference
> manager. CSL would have been the source of the actual lists, but considering
> the above, perhaps it's best to leave obtaining/generating the lists up to
> the reference managers as well.
>
> CSL would simply identify the list that needs to be used for a style (the
> list identifiers would have to be agreed upon), the CSL processor would
> request the reference manager to generate an abbreviation for a particular
> field given an abbreviation list ID (falling back to unabbreviated form
> otherwise), and the rest would be left up to the reference managers to
> implement as they see fit.
>
> I'd love to have this subject finalized as soon as possible, so that we can
> properly implement abbreviation lists in Zotero.

It's living in https://github.com/cpina/abbreviations , I'll do a pull
request later on (was forgotten, apologies).

On 18 October 2013 04:24, Frank Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> (https://gist.github.com/aurimasv/6878178). The gist of it is that managing
>> the lists and generating abbreviations would be left up to the reference
>> manager. CSL would have been the source of the actual lists, but considering
>> the above, perhaps it's best to leave obtaining/generating the lists up to
>> the reference managers as well.
>>
>> CSL would simply identify the list that needs to be used for a style (the
>> list identifiers would have to be agreed upon), the CSL processor would
>> request the reference manager to generate an abbreviation for a particular
>> field given an abbreviation list ID (falling back to unabbreviated form
>> otherwise), and the rest would be left up to the reference managers to
>> implement as they see fit.
>>
>> I'd love to have this subject finalized as soon as possible, so that we can
>> properly implement abbreviation lists in Zotero.

It's there too:
https://github.com/citation-style-language/abbreviations/tree/master/ncbi
. I've done a pull request with some small update. I'll prepare a
better README.md for the root of the repo.

On 18 October 2013 10:16, Carles Pina <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> the reference managers as well.
>>>
>>> CSL would simply identify the list that needs to be used for a style (the
>>> list identifiers would have to be agreed upon), the CSL processor would
>>> request the reference manager to generate an abbreviation for a particular
>>> field given an abbreviation list ID (falling back to unabbreviated form
>>> otherwise), and the rest would be left up to the reference managers to
>>> implement as they see fit.
>>>
>>> I'd love to have this subject finalized as soon as possible, so that we can
>>> properly implement abbreviation lists in Zotero.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your input.
>>> Aurimas.
>>>

>>> --

> Carles Pina | Software Engineer
> http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/
>
> Mendeley Limited | London, UK | www.mendeley.com
> Registered in England and Wales | Company Number 6419015

Hi Aurimas,

Regarding CAS: I asked them and I received an answer that said that
"look the terms and conditions" which is quite strict. I haven't done
any work there.

Regarding MEDLINE/Index, etc.: see
https://github.com/citation-style-language/abbreviations/tree/master/ncbi
. The terms of use on the webpage says that it's ok and Rintze double
checked with them and they answered that it's ok to publish it to
different places, etc.

LTWA: terms of use of the webpage says that it's freely re-distributable, etc.

At Mendeley we use LTWA but I haven't uploaded to
https://github.com/citation-style-language/abbreviations because it's
not a journal abbreviations but word abbreviations. Citeproc-js cannot
use it straight away. What we did: citeproc-js looks up the
abbreviation and Mendeley Desktop uses ncbi and if we don't have an
exact match then it does its best with LTWA.

We released it one month ago approximately (even a bit more) and so
far we haven't had complains. If I can help in something else let me
know.

Regards,