MIT license as default for CSL software

Hi all,

While all our styles and locale files, and most of our documentation
is released under CC BY-SA, we never selected a license for our CSL
software. While our software mostly consists of scripts that are used
within the project, I still think it's a good idea to choose a
permissive license.

Dan Stillman just agreed to license
https://github.com/citation-style-language/distribution-updater/ under
the MIT license. Carles Pina, Charles Parnot, Sebastian Karcher and I
agreed to license code we contributed to the CSL project (i.e., code
contributed at https://github.com/citation-style-language) under the
MIT license as well.

Unless anybody requests otherwise, I think that this suffices to add
the MIT license to the "utilities", "distribution-updater", and
"csl-validator" repos. And I think it makes sense to use this license
as the default for new code.

Thanks to Philipp Zumstein for starting this discussion:
https://github.com/citation-style-language/csl-validator/issues/5

Re: MIT license as default for CSL software

Charles Parnot
Excellent!

On Jan 10, 2015, at 4:10 AM, Rintze Zelle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> While all our styles and locale files, and most of our documentation
> is released under CC BY-SA, we never selected a license for our CSL
> software. While our software mostly consists of scripts that are used
> within the project, I still think it's a good idea to choose a
> permissive license.
>
> Dan Stillman just agreed to license
> https://github.com/citation-style-language/distribution-updater/ under
> the MIT license. Carles Pina, Charles Parnot, Sebastian Karcher and I
> agreed to license code we contributed to the CSL project (i.e., code
> contributed at https://github.com/citation-style-language) under the
> MIT license as well.
>
> Unless anybody requests otherwise, I think that this suffices to add
> the MIT license to the "utilities", "distribution-updater", and
> "csl-validator" repos. And I think it makes sense to use this license
> as the default for new code.
>
> Thanks to Philipp Zumstein for starting this discussion:
> https://github.com/citation-style-language/csl-validator/issues/5

http://app.net/cparnot
twitter: @cparnot

Your Lab Notebook, Reinvented.
http://findingsapp.com

Re: MIT license as default for CSL software

As a follow-up on this, we just got a request to clarify the license
for the CSL schema. It currently says "Permission to freely use, copy
and distribute.", which doesn't discuss modification. This raised some
red flags with the Debian packagers:

Bruce agreed with my suggestion to relicense the schema under the MIT
license. So unless anybody objects to this or wishes to suggest a
different license, we'll go with that.

Rintze

On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 1:12 AM, Charles Parnot
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Excellent!
>
> On Jan 10, 2015, at 4:10 AM, Rintze Zelle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> While all our styles and locale files, and most of our documentation
>> is released under CC BY-SA, we never selected a license for our CSL
>> software. While our software mostly consists of scripts that are used
>> within the project, I still think it's a good idea to choose a
>> permissive license.
>>
>> Dan Stillman just agreed to license
>> https://github.com/citation-style-language/distribution-updater/ under
>> the MIT license. Carles Pina, Charles Parnot, Sebastian Karcher and I
>> agreed to license code we contributed to the CSL project (i.e., code
>> contributed at https://github.com/citation-style-language) under the
>> MIT license as well.
>>
>> Unless anybody requests otherwise, I think that this suffices to add
>> the MIT license to the "utilities", "distribution-updater", and
>> "csl-validator" repos. And I think it makes sense to use this license
>> as the default for new code.
>>
>> Thanks to Philipp Zumstein for starting this discussion:
>> https://github.com/citation-style-language/csl-validator/issues/5

Re: MIT license as default for CSL software

Simon Kornblith
I agree to license my contributions to the schema under the MIT license.

Simon