MLA - Source

Sebastian Karcher
Hi everyone,
with CSL 1.0.1 we have a "source" variable that was introduced especially with MLA requirements to cite databases for electronic journal articles (JSTOR, EBSCO - you get the idea). (Zotero maps its "Library Catalog" field to "source", though we'll likely rename that).
The current MLA style on the repository uses the "archive" variable for that, which isn't great considering that this is intended for actual archives would lead to problems with other citation styles (e.g. Chicago, which is likely to be used by a similar group of users).
I want to switch this over to "source" soon, but I'm concerned about users being upset if such a popular style switches behavior and wanted to hear what the various implementers think on how to proceed.

Re: MLA - Source

Charles Parnot
Papers: thumbs up :-)

On Feb 11, 2013, at 7:39 AM, Sebastian Karcher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> with CSL 1.0.1 we have a "source" variable that was introduced especially with MLA requirements to cite databases for electronic journal articles (JSTOR, EBSCO - you get the idea). (Zotero maps its "Library Catalog" field to "source", though we'll likely rename that).
> The current MLA style on the repository uses the "archive" variable for that, which isn't great considering that this is intended for actual archives would lead to problems with other citation styles (e.g. Chicago, which is likely to be used by a similar group of users).
> I want to switch this over to "source" soon, but I'm concerned about users being upset if such a popular style switches behavior and wanted to hear what the various implementers think on how to proceed.
> Best,

Re: MLA - Source

Carles Pina
Mendeley: go ahead please.

On 11 February 2013 08:36, Charles Parnot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Papers: thumbs up :-)
>
> On Feb 11, 2013, at 7:39 AM, Sebastian Karcher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>> with CSL 1.0.1 we have a "source" variable that was introduced especially with MLA requirements to cite databases for electronic journal articles (JSTOR, EBSCO - you get the idea). (Zotero maps its "Library Catalog" field to "source", though we'll likely rename that).
>> The current MLA style on the repository uses the "archive" variable for that, which isn't great considering that this is intended for actual archives would lead to problems with other citation styles (e.g. Chicago, which is likely to be used by a similar group of users).
>> I want to switch this over to "source" soon, but I'm concerned about users being upset if such a popular style switches behavior and wanted to hear what the various implementers think on how to proceed.
>> Best,
>>
>> --
>> Sebastian Karcher
>> Ph.D. Candidate
>> Department of Political Science
>> Northwestern University

> Charles Parnot
> [hidden email]
> twitter: @cparnot
> http://mekentosj.com

Carles Pina | Software Engineer
http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/

Re: MLA - Source

Sebastian Karcher
Carles & Charles,
thanks for the quick feedback - together with Zotero that's seems like a quorum to me, it's now changed on the repository (the database/source is also now correctly italicized).