Markup in titles

Chris Maloney
Is there any allowance in the citeproc-json format or in any of the tools to deal with articles that have markup in titles?  For example, here is an article with a sup element in the title, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC26831/.

I suspect that the markup is just dropped, but wanted to double check.  Has it been discussed before?  I searched the mailing list archives, with no luck.

Chris Maloney
NIH/NLM/NCBI (Contractor)
Building 45, 5AN.24D-22
301-594-2842

Re: Markup in titles

Sebastian Karcher
citeproc-js - and hence CSL JSON - accept html markup for subscript, superscript, italics, bold, and small caps:
These: http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/rich_text_bibliography
get passed on literally to citeproch, i.e. your example should ideally have:
"title": "Solutions of a Lagrangian system on T<sup>2</sup>",
which is, I see, what's already in the XML output from PMC. I'll look at implementing that on the Zotero import side.

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 7:58 AM, Maloney, Christopher (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is there any allowance in the citeproc-json format or in any of the tools to deal with articles that have markup in titles?  For example, here is an article with a sup element in the title, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC26831/.

I suspect that the markup is just dropped, but wanted to double check.  Has it been discussed before?  I searched the mailing list archives, with no luck.

Chris Maloney
NIH/NLM/NCBI (Contractor)
Building 45, 5AN.24D-22

Re: Markup in titles

Chris Maloney

Thanks for the quick response.

I did some testing with citeproc-json, and it seems to handle it surprisingly well.  Here’s the results of my tests converting into MLA in HTML format:

'<sup>' => '&#60;sup&#62;'

'<sup/>' => '&#60;sup/&#62;'

But it means (as I guess you all are probably aware) that there are certain strings that cannot appear in one of these fields.  For example, if I wanted to talk about the literal string “<i>j</i>” in my abstract, I don’t think there’s any way it could be represented, is there?

Chris Maloney

NIH/NLM/NCBI (Contractor)

Building 45, 5AN.24D-22

301-594-2842

Re: Markup in titles

Sebastian Karcher
and yes to this:
"So, it looks like this is a pseudo-HTML format, that only supports the limited set of tags, and no character entity references, right"
citeproc-js handles these individually, it doesn't run a html parser or anything like that.

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 9:46 AM, Sebastian Karcher <[hidden email]> wrote:

citeproc-js also accepts <sc> for legacy reasons, though we advise against using it.

But it means (as I guess you all are probably aware) that there are certain strings that cannot appear in one of these fields.  For example, if I wanted to talk about the literal string “<i>j</i>” in my abstract, I don’t think there’s any way it could be represented, is there?

Chris Maloney

NIH/NLM/NCBI (Contractor)

Building 45, 5AN.24D-22

Re: Markup in titles

Chris Maloney

Great, thanks!

Chris Maloney

NIH/NLM/NCBI (Contractor)

Building 45, 5AN.24D-22

301-594-2842

Re: Markup in titles

Sebastian Karcher
while I have you here - do you know if the way the superscript is handled in the PMC xml record the way this would generally appear for pubmedXML? What other html tags should we expect there?

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 10:00 AM, Maloney, Christopher (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Great, thanks!

Chris Maloney

NIH/NLM/NCBI (Contractor)

Building 45, 5AN.24D-22

Re: Markup in titles

As you might guess, there are some tricky trade-offs here. We're
trying to be practical.

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 12:00 PM, Maloney, Christopher (NIH/NLM/NCBI)
[C] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great, thanks!
>

> Chris Maloney
>
> NIH/NLM/NCBI (Contractor)
>
> Building 45, 5AN.24D-22
>
> 301-594-2842

Re: Markup in titles

Chris Maloney
Yes, I'm aware of the tradeoffs, and the motivation for doing things this way:  mainly so as not to force users to enter every ampersand as "&amp;" and every less-than sign as "&lt;".

But I'm also aware of how tricky things can get when you invent your own markup format that looks a lot like html, but isn't.  And I know that a lot of other devs aren't aware of these issues, so I thought I'd mention them.

From my testing, it looks like citeproc-json does a really good job.

Chris Maloney
NIH/NLM/NCBI (Contractor)
Building 45, 5AN.24D-22
301-594-2842

Bruce D'Arcus-3
Not to mention there's broad unicode support.

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 12:28 PM, Maloney, Christopher (NIH/NLM/NCBI)
[C] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, I'm aware of the tradeoffs, and the motivation for doing things this way:  mainly so as not to force users to enter every ampersand as "&amp;" and every less-than sign as "&lt;".
>
> But I'm also aware of how tricky things can get when you invent your own markup format that looks a lot like html, but isn't.  And I know that a lot of other devs aren't aware of these issues, so I thought I'd mention them.
>
> From my testing, it looks like citeproc-json does a really good job.
>

> Chris Maloney
> NIH/NLM/NCBI (Contractor)
> Building 45, 5AN.24D-22
> 301-594-2842

Yes, you do have me!  In PMC, we store article titles in JATS XML, http://jatspan.org/niso/publishing-1.1d1/#p=elem-article-title, which allows inline markup, and, of course, is well-formatted XML.

PubMed usually drops the markup.  I think there is work afoot to get rich text into the PubMed titles and abstracts, but I’m not sure the status.  I’ve seen people here suggesting these kinds of pseudo-HTML fields, and I’m always warning them of the dangers, so that’s where I’m coming from.

Chris Maloney

NIH/NLM/NCBI (Contractor)

Building 45, 5AN.24D-22

301-594-2842