Maximum of 50 authors?

Chris Maloney
Hi,

We’re having a problem that manifests in the APA style.  Attached is the JSON that has 51 authors.  The output we’re getting is:

A00, A., A01, B., A02, C., A03, D., A04, E., A05, F., … A09, J. (2010). Modelling the Species Distribution of Flat-Headed Cats (Prionailurus planiceps), an Endangered South-East Asian Small Felid. PLoS ONE, 5(3), e9612. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0009612

You can see that the last author is listed as “A09”, which is really the tenth author in the list.

If I reduce the number of authors by one, then it works correctly.

Is this a known bug?

Chris Maloney
NIH/NLM/NCBI (Contractor)
Building 45, 4AN36D-12
301-594-2842

2840021.json (6K) Download Attachment

Re: Maximum of 50 authors?

fbennett
The processor chops author lists to the maximum of all et-al-min
values plus two, as a protection against massive author lists. It's
currently a straight chop of the list, and that should trigger this
bug.

Oddly, though, I couldn't get the bug to manifest in the citeproc-js
test framework, when rendering a bibliography with this input data and
the APA style. The cause of the failure (to fail) turned out to be a
separate bug, introduced at processor tag 1.0.506, that caused author
truncation to be completely bypassed in bibliography rendering.

I've pinned down the bug, and it will be fixed shortly, but I'm
puzzled as to why we've gotten different results in the initial
testing. Was this triggered with the latest processor version?

Frank

On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 6:35 AM, Maloney, Christopher (NIH/NLM/NCBI)
[C] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We’re having a problem that manifests in the APA style.  Attached is the JSON that has 51 authors.  The output we’re getting is:
>
> A00, A., A01, B., A02, C., A03, D., A04, E., A05, F., … A09, J. (2010). Modelling the Species Distribution of Flat-Headed Cats (Prionailurus planiceps), an Endangered South-East Asian Small Felid. PLoS ONE, 5(3), e9612. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0009612
>
> You can see that the last author is listed as “A09”, which is really the tenth author in the list.
>
> If I reduce the number of authors by one, then it works correctly.
>
> Is this a known bug?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Chris Maloney
> NIH/NLM/NCBI (Contractor)
> Building 45, 4AN36D-12
> 301-594-2842

Re: Maximum of 50 authors?

Chris Maloney
Frank wrote:

> Was this triggered with the latest processor version?

Probably not. I’m using citeproc-java 0.6, which includes a distribution
of citeproc-js. I’m not sure which — I checked the source citeproc.js
file, but didn’t see a version number inside it.

--
Chris Maloney

Re: Maximum of 50 authors?

fbennett
It looks like citeproc-java was last updated seven months ago. You
should be able to drop in a recent version, together with the XML
parser (xmldom.js etc) if it's used by citeproc-java.

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 7:08 AM, Maloney, Christopher (NIH/NLM/NCBI)
[C] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Frank wrote:
>
>> Was this triggered with the latest processor version?
>
> Probably not. I’m using citeproc-java 0.6, which includes a distribution
> of citeproc-js. I’m not sure which — I checked the source citeproc.js
> file, but didn’t see a version number inside it.
>

> --
> Chris Maloney

Re: Maximum of 50 authors?

Michel Krämer
Hi!

If you want to drop in a new citeproc-js version you need to rebuild
citeproc-java from source. However, this should be fairly easy. Just
follow the instructions in the README. Let me know if you need assistance.

Cheers,
Michel

Am 17.02.2015 um 23:45 schrieb Frank Bennett:

> It looks like citeproc-java was last updated seven months ago. You
> should be able to drop in a recent version, together with the XML
> parser (xmldom.js etc) if it's used by citeproc-java.
>

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 7:08 AM, Maloney, Christopher (NIH/NLM/NCBI)
> [C] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Frank wrote:
>>
>>> Was this triggered with the latest processor version?
>>
>> Probably not. I’m using citeproc-java 0.6, which includes a distribution
>> of citeproc-js. I’m not sure which — I checked the source citeproc.js
>> file, but didn’t see a version number inside it.
>>

>> --
>> Chris Maloney

Re: Maximum of 50 authors?

Chris Maloney
Thanks, gentleman. Building with a later version of citeproc-js seems to
have fixed this. When I built citeproc-java, it grabbed citeproc-js
1.0.521.

--
Chris Maloney
NIH/NLM/NCBI (Contractor)

"Michel Krämer" wrote:

>Hi!
>
>If you want to drop in a new citeproc-js version you need to rebuild
>citeproc-java from source. However, this should be fairly easy. Just
>follow the instructions in the README. Let me know if you need assistance.
>
>Cheers,
>Michel
>
>Am 17.02.2015 um 23:45 schrieb Frank Bennett:
>> It looks like citeproc-java was last updated seven months ago. You
>> should be able to drop in a recent version, together with the XML
>> parser (xmldom.js etc) if it's used by citeproc-java.
>>

>> On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 7:08 AM, Maloney, Christopher (NIH/NLM/NCBI)
>> [C] <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Probably not. I’m using citeproc-java 0.6, which includes a
>>>distribution
>>> of citeproc-js. I’m not sure which — I checked the source citeproc.js
>>> file, but didn’t see a version number inside it.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Chris Maloney

>>>------
>>> Download BIRT iHub F-Type - The Free Enterprise-Grade BIRT Server
>>> from Actuate! Instantly Supercharge Your Business Reports and
>>>Dashboards
>>> with Interactivity, Sharing, Native Excel Exports, App Integration &
>>>more
>>> Get technology previously reserved for billion-dollar corporations,
>>>FREE
>>>
>>>http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=190641631&iu=/4140/ostg.cl
>>>ktrk

>>-----
>> with Interactivity, Sharing, Native Excel Exports, App Integration &
>>more
>>
>>http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=190641631&iu=/4140/ostg.clk
>>trk

>----
>Download BIRT iHub F-Type - The Free Enterprise-Grade BIRT Server
>from Actuate! Instantly Supercharge Your Business Reports and Dashboards
>with Interactivity, Sharing, Native Excel Exports, App Integration & more
>Get technology previously reserved for billion-dollar corporations, FREE
>http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=190641631&iu=/4140/ostg.clkt
>rk

Re: Maximum of 50 authors?

Michel Krämer
Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to release a new version of
citeproc-java as soon as possible.

Michel

Am 18.02.2015 um 21:23 schrieb Maloney, Christopher (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C]:
> Thanks, gentleman. Building with a later version of citeproc-js seems to
> have fixed this. When I built citeproc-java, it grabbed citeproc-js
> 1.0.521.

Re: Maximum of 50 authors?

fbennett
The latest tag is 1.0.559, which incorporates some important changes
to names handling discussed in another thread:

    http://xbiblio-devel.2463403.n2.nabble.com/Institutional-names-td7579244.html

Frank