Metadata for multimedia types

fbennett
I've opened a thread on the Zotero forums concerning how to set the
"Director" on a multimedia item (CSL broadcast, motion_picture, or
song).

http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/23249/multimedia-metadata/

It seems to me there's a pretty strong case for adding "director" as a
creator, and "video" or "video-recording" as an item type. A
"director" creator and corresponding label would allow us to apply
"dir" or "Director" label to this category of creators. A "video" type
would allow us to distinguish theatre releases from other video items,
which Chicago (among others) cites differently.

I've worked around these limitations in an initial cut of code for the
MLZ styles. It's possible, but the CSL is horribly complex, and I
would like to remove it from the styles.

Re: Metadata for multimedia types

Bruce D'Arcus-3
On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Frank Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've opened a thread on the Zotero forums concerning how to set the
> "Director" on a multimedia item (CSL broadcast, motion_picture, or
> song).
>
> http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/23249/multimedia-metadata/
>
> It seems to me there's a pretty strong case for adding "director" as a
> creator, and "video" or "video-recording" as an item type. A
> "director" creator and corresponding label would allow us to apply
> "dir" or "Director" label to this category of creators.

That seems reasonable.

> A "video" type
> would allow us to distinguish theatre releases from other video items,
> which Chicago (among others) cites differently.

The lack of this type isn't an accident. I've tended to prefer
modeling the distinctions using properties (like, say, format), and
didn't want to go down the path of ending up with types like
"digital-audio-recording."

If you think we need to revisit, then create an issue ticket with a
few examples?

Bruce

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 11:32 PM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Frank Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I've opened a thread on the Zotero forums concerning how to set the
>> "Director" on a multimedia item (CSL broadcast, motion_picture, or
>> song).
>>
>> http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/23249/multimedia-metadata/
>>
>> It seems to me there's a pretty strong case for adding "director" as a
>> creator, and "video" or "video-recording" as an item type. A
>> "director" creator and corresponding label would allow us to apply
>> "dir" or "Director" label to this category of creators.
>
> That seems reasonable.
>
>> A "video" type
>> would allow us to distinguish theatre releases from other video items,
>> which Chicago (among others) cites differently.
>
> The lack of this type isn't an accident. I've tended to prefer
> modeling the distinctions using properties (like, say, format), and
> didn't want to go down the path of ending up with types like
> "digital-audio-recording."
>
> If you think we need to revisit, then create an issue ticket with a
> few examples?

Done. The issue is here:

  https://github.com/citation-style-language/schema/issues/95

Frank