Multiple-item "type" conditionals with match="all"

Multiple-item "type" conditionals with match="all"

Andrea Rossato recently identified a discrepancy between the CSL spec
and citeproc-js. While the spec describes match="all" to be the
default for conditionals, citeproc-js uses "any". See
http://citationstyles.org/downloads/specification.html#choose and
http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/27961/chicago-styles-no-year-in-bibliography/
for more details.

Since most CSL styles have been developed against citeproc-js
implementations, this has gone unnoticed for quite some time.

I would prefer to keep "all" as the default, if possible. For the
short term, I fixed styles that used the "type" conditional to test
for multiple item types without setting "match". According to the
spec, such conditionals should never test true, and so I've added
match="any" to these cases:
https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/commit/b55a9c1704b74a35e9aa522dc4e67dc632146781

We can probably expect some changes in citeproc-js output if it
changes its behavior. I'll think about it a bit more to see if we can
modify the existing styles to prevent that from happening.

Re: Multiple-item "type" conditionals with match="all"

Sylvester Keil
CiteProc-Ruby uses 'all' as the default – in this respect, perhaps the spec should explicitly define what the edge cases are, particularly what happens when there are no conditions. This seems fairly important to me. For example, in the Ruby implementation we're assuming that:

all + no conditions --> true
any + no conditions --> false

This is particularly important, because we handle 'else'  like a regular 'if' node with no conditions (in fact, both if and else nodes are mapped to a conditional node internally, so the processor does not need to distinguish between the too).

Note that the assumptions above are based on predicate logic (universal quantification over the empty set is always true). Furthermore, the fact, that this yields the 'logical' implementation of the else node above is a strong indication that it does indeed make sense to keep 'all' as the default.

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 11:47 AM, Sylvester Keil <[hidden email]> wrote:
> CiteProc-Ruby uses 'all' as the default – in this respect, perhaps the spec should explicitly define what the edge cases are, particularly what happens when there are no conditions.

cs:if and cs:else-if elements require at least one condition. The CSL
schema checks for this.

On Feb 26, 2013, at 5:56 PM, Rintze Zelle wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 11:47 AM, Sylvester Keil <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> CiteProc-Ruby uses 'all' as the default – in this respect, perhaps the spec should explicitly define what the edge cases are, particularly what happens when there are no conditions.
>
> cs:if and cs:else-if elements require at least one condition. The CSL
> schema checks for this.

True : ) that takes care of the edge cases as far as the specification is concerned.

Nevertheless, it wouldn't hurt if implementations agreed to apply predicate logic there.

Re: Multiple-item "type" conditionals with match="all"

fbennett
Dear all,

I'm very sorry for this misstep. The default to "any" was coded into
citeproc-js before the specification existed, without sufficient
thought.

On the record it should have been set to "all". There are two
exchanges in the archives, one between Bruce and Simon in 2007, and
another between myself, Bruce and Andrea in 2009. Although neither
discussion ended with a conclusive declaration, Simon indicated that
"all" was more sensible, and Andrea indicated that citeproc-hs was
already using "all".

  http://xbiblio-devel.2463403.n2.nabble.com/match-attribute-default-behavior-td5927088.html
  http://xbiblio-devel.2463403.n2.nabble.com/Default-evaluation-for-conditions-td2649201.html

After the styles in the repository have been made explicit and some
time has passed, I will amend citeproc-js to properly default to
"all", in line with the rest of the community.

Frank

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 5:09 PM, Frank Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> After the styles in the repository have been made explicit and some
> time has passed, I will amend citeproc-js to properly default to
> "all", in line with the rest of the community.

I set "match" to "any" in what should the remaining problematic cases:
https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/commit/532217b02629a7dc4f91113f7dddbf458e1c9e80

Related Python script update (don't look if you're a
professional/experienced programmer!):
https://github.com/citation-style-language/utilities/commit/3d8a46f0ef2fdb77e2be818097a868770964bb94

Frank, I think now is as good a time as any to change the "match"
default in citeproc-js to "all".

Re: Multiple-item "type" conditionals with match="all"

fbennett
Sebastian: You might see a rise in complaints about things going
missing from citations when a change in the default works its way into
official Zotero. Okay to go ahead?

Frank

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 1:18 PM, Rintze Zelle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 5:09 PM, Frank Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> After the styles in the repository have been made explicit and some
>> time has passed, I will amend citeproc-js to properly default to
>> "all", in line with the rest of the community.
>
> I set "match" to "any" in what should the remaining problematic cases:
> https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/commit/532217b02629a7dc4f91113f7dddbf458e1c9e80
>
> Related Python script update (don't look if you're a
> professional/experienced programmer!):
> https://github.com/citation-style-language/utilities/commit/3d8a46f0ef2fdb77e2be818097a868770964bb94
>
> Frank, I think now is as good a time as any to change the "match"
> default in citeproc-js to "all".

Re: Multiple-item "type" conditionals with match="all"

Sebastian Karcher
sure. But what's the current status of Zotero auto-updating styles? I thought that was happening now - Dan?
If that's the case we should be mostly good anyway.
S.

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 9:31 PM, Frank Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sebastian: You might see a rise in complaints about things going
missing from citations when a change in the default works its way into
official Zotero. Okay to go ahead?

Frank

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 1:18 PM, Rintze Zelle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 5:09 PM, Frank Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> After the styles in the repository have been made explicit and some
>> time has passed, I will amend citeproc-js to properly default to
>> "all", in line with the rest of the community.
>
> I set "match" to "any" in what should the remaining problematic cases:
> https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/commit/532217b02629a7dc4f91113f7dddbf458e1c9e80
>
> Related Python script update (don't look if you're a
> professional/experienced programmer!):
> https://github.com/citation-style-language/utilities/commit/3d8a46f0ef2fdb77e2be818097a868770964bb94
>
> Frank, I think now is as good a time as any to change the "match"
> default in citeproc-js to "all".

Re: Multiple-item "type" conditionals with match="all"

Dan Stillman
On 3/4/13 11:42 PM, Sebastian Karcher wrote:
> sure. But what's the current status of Zotero auto-updating styles? I
> thought that was happening now - Dan?
> If that's the case we should be mostly good anyway.

Currently only the bundled styles are updated, and only when Zotero is
upgraded. Auto-updating of all installed styles is in 3.1, which should
be out by the end of the month.

Re: Multiple-item "type" conditionals with match="all"

Robert Knight
> But what's the current status of Zotero auto-updating styles? I thought that was happening now - Dan?

On that note, in Mendeley Desktop the style update process changed
recently and is now semi-automatic.
The current process is:

1. Once a day, an automated job checks out the upstream style repository
2. Basic XML validation is performed on all styles
3. A build of the current stable version of Mendeley Desktop is used
to generate citations and bibliographies with each style
and basic validation is performed - sanity checks of output, no
citeproc-js errors.
4.  If (2) and (3) pass, the updated styles are uploaded and made
available to MD users.  Users who already have a particular style
installed will not actually get the update until they press a button
in the citation style browser in MD to avoid unexpected
citation/bibliography
formatting changes.

Regards,
Rob.

On 5 March 2013 08:03, Dan Stillman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3/4/13 11:42 PM, Sebastian Karcher wrote:
>> sure. But what's the current status of Zotero auto-updating styles? I
>> thought that was happening now - Dan?
>> If that's the case we should be mostly good anyway.
>
> Currently only the bundled styles are updated, and only when Zotero is
> upgraded. Auto-updating of all installed styles is in 3.1, which should
> be out by the end of the month.

'Input' formatting markup

Simon Hewitt
Does CSL allow for inputs to contain any formatting markup?

For example, given this BibTex title:

title = {Distribution of \textit{Culicoides} Latreille (Diptera:
Ceratopogonidae) in Saudi Arabia}

Docear4Word contains a BibTex parser that will strip out all the braces and
formatting directives before it gets passed to CiteProc.js but the user
would like to have the word 'Culicoides' in italic regardless of the CSL
style being used.

I can change the parser to replace \textit{..} with any markup but I don't
believe CSL supports this.
I am guessing that even if I use HTML markup and ask for HTML output then it
is likely to be escaped before it comes back (haven't actually tried this)

Can someone confirm this isn't possible?

Cheers
Simon

Re: 'Input' formatting markup

The processor recognizes the markup described here:

   http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/rich_text_bibliography

It looks like HTML, but it's converted in the output.

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 6:03 PM, Simon Hewitt
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does CSL allow for inputs to contain any formatting markup?
>
> For example, given this BibTex title:
>
> title = {Distribution of \textit{Culicoides} Latreille (Diptera:
> Ceratopogonidae) in Saudi Arabia}
>
> Docear4Word contains a BibTex parser that will strip out all the braces and
> formatting directives before it gets passed to CiteProc.js but the user
> would like to have the word 'Culicoides' in italic regardless of the CSL
> style being used.
>
> I can change the parser to replace \textit{..} with any markup but I don't
> believe CSL supports this.
> I am guessing that even if I use HTML markup and ask for HTML output then it
> is likely to be escaped before it comes back (haven't actually tried this)
>
> Can someone confirm this isn't possible?
>
> Cheers
> Simon

Re: 'Input' formatting markup

See also http://citationstyles.org/downloads/upgrade-notes.html#rich-text-markup-within-fields

The <sc/> tag has since been deprecated in favor of the more standard
both.

Re: 'Input' formatting markup

Sebastian Karcher
Zotero does convert BibTeX markup for the supported HTML and Mendeley was at least talking about implementing that, too - not sure if they did.

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 6:58 AM, Rintze Zelle <[hidden email]> wrote:
See also http://citationstyles.org/downloads/upgrade-notes.html#rich-text-markup-within-fields

The <sc/> tag has since been deprecated in favor of the more standard
both.

Re: 'Input' formatting markup

Robert Knight
> Zotero does convert BibTeX markup for the supported HTML and Mendeley was at least talking about implementing that, too - not sure if they did.

Our current plan is to formalize the XHTML subset that is supported
inside various metadata fields which will initially be quite minimal.
We have discussed converting TeX markup during BibTeX import but have
not implemented this yet.

Regards,
Rob.