Names label position

Sylvester Keil
I noticed that some tests seem to make use of the order of the cs:name
and cs:label nodes inside cs:names. I had not thought of that before,
but it's an elegant way to specify the placement (i.e., does the label
come before or after the names).

Here is an example of a test that seems to mandate this behaviour:

https://bitbucket.org/bdarcus/citeproc-test/src/ab136a6aa8f22c011b93a0deed3c9bf38efcec75/processor-tests/humans/name_EditorTranslatorWithTranslatorOnlyBib.txt?at=default

I'm only bringing this up, because I could not find anything about this
in the spec. It actually says this about the labels in cs:names:

"The optional cs:label element (see label) must be included after the
cs:name and cs:et-al elements, but before the cs:substitute element."

So it even says the cs:label must come after cs:name - is this still the
case? I think that test case gives a good example where the label/name
order can be quite useful, but the way the spec reads seems to suggest
to me that this is actually invalid?

Sylvester

Re: Names label position

That might have been an oversight on my part when writing the spec.
The schema clearly allows cs:label either before or after the group of
cs:name and cs:et-al. See

https://github.com/citation-style-language/schema/blob/v1.0.1/csl.rnc#L418

[ a:documentation [ xhtml:h2 [ "cs:names Rendering Element" ] ] ]
div {
  rendering-element.names =
    element cs:names {
      names.attributes,
      ((names.name?, names.et-al?) & names.label*),
      names.substitute?
    }

Rintze

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 8:46 AM, Sylvester Keil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I noticed that some tests seem to make use of the order of the cs:name
> and cs:label nodes inside cs:names. I had not thought of that before,
> but it's an elegant way to specify the placement (i.e., does the label
> come before or after the names).
>
> Here is an example of a test that seems to mandate this behaviour:
>
> https://bitbucket.org/bdarcus/citeproc-test/src/ab136a6aa8f22c011b93a0deed3c9bf38efcec75/processor-tests/humans/name_EditorTranslatorWithTranslatorOnlyBib.txt?at=default
>
> I'm only bringing this up, because I could not find anything about this
> in the spec. It actually says this about the labels in cs:names:
>
> "The optional cs:label element (see label) must be included after the
> cs:name and cs:et-al elements, but before the cs:substitute element."
>
> So it even says the cs:label must come after cs:name - is this still the
> case? I think that test case gives a good example where the label/name
> order can be quite useful, but the way the spec reads seems to suggest
> to me that this is actually invalid?
>
> Sylvester

Re: Names label position

Sylvester Keil