Re: Migrate to Discourse (help requested)

Re: Migrate to Discourse (help requested)

Hi all,

Quick updates regarding the mailing list:

* I took Michel up on his offer to help with the migration to
Discourse. We have the forum up and running at
https://discourse.citationstyles.org/, but I'm keeping it private
until we complete the migration.
* It would make things easier if we don't need to migrate any newer
emails from after 2017-11-24 to Discourse. Feel free to keep using the
mailing list until we migrate, but if you want any new emails to
migrate please wait until we wrap things up (hopefully within the next
two weeks or so).
* The migration hit a little snag because SourceForge has in 2017
started obfuscating email addresses in mailing list mbox archive
files. Luckily I had a 2015 mbox archive on hand, and I un-obfuscated
the email addresses for more recent emails by touching up the mbox
file by hand.
* I also discovered that the Nabble mirror
(http://xbiblio-devel.2463403.n2.nabble.com/) had stopped mirroring
the main list since June 2017, so it's missing some emails (again this
is because SourceForge changed something). I fixed this last week, but
if you subscribed through Nabble you likely missed the emails between
June and November 2017.
* I also discovered that our Gmane mirror
(http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.xbiblio.devel) has gone offline
since June 2016 along with the demise of the entire site (see
https://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/2016/07/28/the-end-of-gmane/ and
http://home.gmane.org/2016/08/29/next-steps-gmane/).

On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 1:00 AM, Michel Krämer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Rintze,
>
> I agree with you that we should avoid GitHub-only communication. GitHub is for issues for not for general discussion/support/help.
>
> I had a look at the install instructions and the import script. Looks pretty doable. If you like, I can try to do the migration.
>
> Cheers,
> Michel
>

>> On 24. Nov 2017, at 02:19, Rintze Zelle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I recently came across an offer by Discourse for free hosting for
>> popular open source projects
>> (https://blog.discourse.org/2016/03/free-discourse-forum-hosting-for-community-friendly-github-projects/),
>> and I'm happy to report that we got approved. I think this would be a
>> very nice replacement for the SourceForge mailing list (and maybe we
>> can also use it for user support and reduce our reliance on the Zotero
>> forums). I guess we could also move to GitHub-only communication, but
>> I think a separate platform like Discourse is still useful for
>> high-importance/low-volume discussions with a wider audience.
>>
>> We should be able to migrate the xbiblio-devel mailing list archive,
>> but the Discourse folks told me that we can't do the migration on
>> their hosted copy. However, we could migrate our mailing list content
>> into a development instance of Discourse, export a Discourse data
>> backup, and have the Discourse folks apply that to their hosted
>> instance.
>>
>> I was hoping somebody would be willing to assist me with this
>> migration. I can supply an mbox file for the xbiblio-devel SourceForge
>> mailing list archive
>> (https://sourceforge.net/p/forge/documentation/Mailing%20List%20Archives/).
>> https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/docs/INSTALL-cloud.md
>> has instructions for installing Discourse locally or on a cloud
>> instance. https://meta.discourse.org/t/problem-importing-using-mbox-script/37567
>> has a discussion of a successful SourceForge mailing list migration.
>> has general instructions on using the standard mbox import script at
>> https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/script/import_scripts/mbox.rb.
>>
>> Best,

Re: Migrate to Discourse (help requested)

Bruce D'Arcus-3
Great; thanks to both of you!