Repository status update

After going through all the dependent styles, I decided to also touch
up the metadata of the independent styles. The most notable changes:

* All independent styles now have a documentation link, and this
should be a requirement going forward.
* All styles, dependent and independent, now have a default-locale,
except those that belong to one of two categories: first, some CSL
styles are used with more than one locale, such as those of
multilingual journals. These now carry an XML comment, like

<!-- No "default-locale"; journal publishes in Romanian, German,
French, and English -->

( https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/blob/master/studii-teologice.csl
)

The second category are the "popular" styles, such as the APA,
Chicago, IEEE and Vancouver styles.

A complete list of the styles without a default-locale (currently 50),
together with a frequency count of the locale codes in use with
"default-locale", can be found at
https://gist.github.com/rmzelle/5485798. Also here I would like to
require each new style to have a default-locale set, unless the style
should localize.

All styles that have a non-English default-locale now have the
language appended to the style title, e.g.

<title>Juristische Zitierweise (Stüber) (German)</title>

( https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/blob/master/juristische-zitierweise.csl
)

We probably need to figure out a way to mark the styles without a
default-locale, so that users know that these styles can automatically
localize. Perhaps we should add something to the titles, like
"(International)"?

* I further modified
https://github.com/citation-style-language/schema/blob/master/csl-repository.rnc,
which can be used for validation instead of csl.rnc. It only validates
styles that have the elements in cs:info in a particular order (every
now and then I reorder the elements in cs:info for all repository
styles, using https://github.com/citation-style-language/utilities/blob/master/csl-reindenting-and-info-reordering.py
). While slightly inconvenient, this schema is more strict: e.g. for
independent styles it requires one "self" link, allows any number of
"template" links, and requires at least one "documentation" link. We
can't test things like this with the regular schema. All styles now
validate against this stricter schema.
* Dan Stillman recently expressed some concern over my abundant
renaming of file names and IDs of independent styles (having finished
my trawl of the repository this should now be mostly a thing of the
past). To allow CSL clients to redirect users to renamed styles, I
introduced https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/blob/master/renamed-styles.json
. This simple JSON file uses the format "[old style file name]": "[new
style file name]" (without ".csl" extensions), and uses a single
namespace for both dependent and independent styles.
(I have been a bit picky about including "The" in the title of journal
styles; when in doubt, I look at journal cover. If the cover uses
"The", I include it in the style title and style ID)
* I removed the "generic-base" field from a bunch of styles. IMHO it
should only be used for journals that are not specific to any
particular field of study.
* I plan to remove a few of the "law" styles once Frank has released
his MLZ book and his MLZ styles come into use. It seems to me that the
"law" styles for Zotero are generally of limited use, and it would
probably be better to steer folks who need legal citation support to
MLZ.

We still have some curating to do for the Elsevier and Springer
styles, but otherwise the house is pretty much put in order.

Re: Repository status update

Carles Pina
Hi,

Thanks for all the clenaup!

On 30 April 2013 01:56, Rintze Zelle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> * All styles, dependent and independent, now have a default-locale,
> except those that belong to one of two categories: first, some CSL
> styles are used with more than one locale, such as those of
> multilingual journals. These now carry an XML comment, like
>
> <!-- No "default-locale"; journal publishes in Romanian, German,
> French, and English -->
>
> ( https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/blob/master/studii-teologice.csl
> )
>
> The second category are the "popular" styles, such as the APA,
> Chicago, IEEE and Vancouver styles.

All the Elsevier dependent generated styles contains
'default-locale="en-US"'. This is not true for all of them.

I have the journal language but I didn't use (as you can see in the
template that I used -
https://github.com/citation-style-language/utilities/blob/master/generate_dependent_styles/data/elsevier/_template.csl
-. I'll do some Elsevier cleanups soon and then I'll fix this too.

Carles Pina | Software Engineer
http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/

Re: Repository status update

Hi Rintze,

I am amazed at the amount of work you did here. It looks all good to me!

Charles