Sentence case formatting

Sylvester Keil
Dear all,

I have a question about textcase formatting in this test case:

https://bitbucket.org/bdarcus/citeproc-test/src/ab136a6aa8f2/processor-tests/humans/textcase_SentenceCapitalization.txt

Where the string "This is a Pen that..." is expected to match "This is a
pen that..." in text-case "sentence". I'm confused about the word "pen"
here.

In the spec it says:

For lower or mixed case strings, the first character of the first word
is capitalized if the word is lowercase. The case of all other words
stays the same.

So shouldn't "Pen" still be capitalized, since the case of all other
words stays the same?

Thanks!

Sylvester

Re: Sentence case formatting

Sebastian Karcher
odd. We've always had sentence-case lowercasing everything but the first letter. That's one of the reasons we discourage people from using it.
@Rintze - do you remember if this was always in the specs like this.

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 7:40 AM, Sylvester Keil <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear all,

I have a question about textcase formatting in this test case:

https://bitbucket.org/bdarcus/citeproc-test/src/ab136a6aa8f2/processor-tests/humans/textcase_SentenceCapitalization.txt

Where the string "This is a Pen that..." is expected to match "This is a
pen that..." in text-case "sentence". I'm confused about the word "pen"
here.

In the spec it says:

For lower or mixed case strings, the first character of the first word
is capitalized if the word is lowercase. The case of all other words
stays the same.

So shouldn't "Pen" still be capitalized, since the case of all other
words stays the same?

Thanks!

Sylvester

Re: Sentence case formatting

Sylvester Keil
Somewhat related to this, for title case conversion the spec says:

For uppercase strings, the first character of the string remains
capitalized. All other letters are lowercased.

Yet, there are multiple test cases which do not touch uppercase strings,
e.g.:

https://bitbucket.org/bdarcus/citeproc-test/src/ab136a6aa8f2/processor-tests/humans/textcase_CapitalsUntouched.txt

On Mon, 2014-02-03 at 07:49 -0700, Sebastian Karcher wrote:

> odd. We've always had sentence-case lowercasing everything but the
> first letter. That's one of the reasons we discourage people from
> using it.
> @Rintze - do you remember if this was always in the specs like this.
>

> On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 7:40 AM, Sylvester Keil <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>         Dear all,
>
>         I have a question about textcase formatting in this test case:
>
>         https://bitbucket.org/bdarcus/citeproc-test/src/ab136a6aa8f2/processor-tests/humans/textcase_SentenceCapitalization.txt
>
>         Where the string "This is a Pen that..." is expected to match
>         "This is a
>         pen that..." in text-case "sentence". I'm confused about the
>         word "pen"
>         here.
>
>         In the spec it says:
>
>         For lower or mixed case strings, the first character of the
>         first word
>         is capitalized if the word is lowercase. The case of all other
>         words
>         stays the same.
>
>         So shouldn't "Pen" still be capitalized, since the case of all
>         other
>         words stays the same?
>
>         Thanks!
>
>         Sylvester

Re: Sentence case formatting

The change for sentence case was made based on this thread:
https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/23504/

The prescribed algorithm could probably be improved, though.

Rintze