Sort keys on CSL styles

fbennett
A user on zotero.org recently reported a problem with sorting in
Chicago Manual of Style (note). No need to review the discussion (it's
a longish thing), but the link to it is here:

  http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/23276/different-works-by-same-author-listed-without-dash-replacing-authors-name/#Item_33

The short story is that several styles in the repo use composite keys
created by a macro, like:

  <macro name="sort-key">
    <group delimiter=" ">
      <text macro="contributors-sort"/>
      <text variable="title"/>
      <text variable="genre"/>
    </group>
  </macro>

It is very unlikely that style guides will expect author names and a
following title to be treated as a single sort key -- see the
screenshots linked from the discussion thread above for some examples
of what happens when that's done. If I remember correctly, the early
CSL processor in Zotero had problems sorting on more than two keys,
and that may be why these macros were introduced.

The individual elements of these macros should now be broken out to
separate sort keys, after checking through them manually to see what
they are trying to do. Here is an initial list of 21 obvious
malefactors:

chicago-annotated-bibliography.csl
chicago-dated-note-biblio-no-ibid.csl
chicago-fullnote-bibliography.csl
chicago-fullnote-bibliography-no-ibid.csl
chicago-library-list.csl
chicago-note-biblio-no-ibid.csl
international-organization.csl
inter-ro.csl
irish-historical-studies.csl
law1-de.csl
mcrj7.csl
mla-notes.csl
national-archives-of-australia.csl
radiopaedia.csl
romanian-humanities.csl
sbl-fullnote-bibliography.csl
society-for-general-microbiology.csl
turabian-fullnote-bibliography.csl
universidad-evangelica-del-paraguay.csl
universita-di-bologna-lettere.csl
wheaton-college-phd-in-biblical-and-theological-studies.csl

It's not an urgent thing -- complaints have been very slow to emerge,
which is kind of surprising -- but since the problem is clear it
should be fixed up as and when we have time to spare. Since I've
raised my hand about the issue, I'll be happy to help out, of course.

Re: Sort keys on CSL styles

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 8:16 PM, Frank Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
If I remember correctly, the early
CSL processor in Zotero had problems sorting on more than two keys,
and that may be why these macros were introduced.

Is that documented anywhere? I couldn't find any mention in the archives, and don't remember ever discussing this. Elena, Sebastian, has this been a known issue?

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 1:44 PM, Rintze Zelle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 8:16 PM, Frank Bennett <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> The individual elements of these macros should now be broken out to
>> separate sort keys, after checking through them manually to see what
>> they are trying to do. Here is an initial list of 21 obvious
>> malefactors:
>>
>> chicago-annotated-bibliography.csl
>> chicago-dated-note-biblio-no-ibid.csl
>> chicago-fullnote-bibliography.csl
>> chicago-fullnote-bibliography-no-ibid.csl
>> chicago-library-list.csl
>> chicago-note-biblio-no-ibid.csl
>> international-organization.csl
>> inter-ro.csl
>> irish-historical-studies.csl
>> law1-de.csl
>> mcrj7.csl
>> mla-notes.csl
>> national-archives-of-australia.csl
>> radiopaedia.csl
>> romanian-humanities.csl
>> sbl-fullnote-bibliography.csl
>> society-for-general-microbiology.csl
>> turabian-fullnote-bibliography.csl
>> universidad-evangelica-del-paraguay.csl
>> universita-di-bologna-lettere.csl
>> wheaton-college-phd-in-biblical-and-theological-studies.csl
>>
>> It's not an urgent thing -- complaints have been very slow to emerge,
>> which is kind of surprising -- but since the problem is clear it
>> should be fixed up as and when we have time to spare. Since I've
>> raised my hand about the issue, I'll be happy to help out, of course.
>

> I corrected all the styles with either a "sort-key" or "contributors-sort"
> macro:
>
> https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/commit/7966cb2a460ab46f2999c1d12f4c632469fdf7e2
> https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/commit/76f5f35dcfcd7b992fb23820bbd8375253f0d411
>
> Rintze