Quantcast

State of non-js processors

panyasan

here's my once-every-12-months status query, since I wonder if http://citationstyles.org/citation-style-language/csl-processors/ is up-to-date.

It is obvious that the citeproc-js is the most advanced processor out there. What about citeproc-hs? Is there a roadmap for an 1.0-compatible release? I am asking because I would like to advertise CSL to the maker of  the (propriatary) software that I use to keep my bibliographic data and format my papers. It is a Objective-C Mac app, so the only chance I have to "sell" this to him would be to have an all-included compiled binary, so javascript+interpreter is definitely not an option unfortunately.

Finally, it seems to me that all other language projects (php, ruby, python) are dead, or am I mistaken? I am still planning on providing a node.js-based version of citeproc-js, but I haven't even started.

Cheers,
Christian

Re: State of non-js processors

Robert Knight
> It is a Objective-C Mac app, so the only chance I have to "sell"
> this to him would be to have an all-included compiled binary, so
> javascript+interpreter is definitely not an option unfortunately.

Why does the fact that the app is written in Objective C on Mac make
javascript + interpreter a non-option?  The system-provided webkit
library provides a fast Javascript engine which can be used with
citeproc-js.

Regards,
Rob.

On 27 November 2010 14:04, panyasan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> here's my once-every-12-months status query, since I wonder if
> http://citationstyles.org/citation-style-language/csl-processors/ is
> up-to-date.
>
> It is obvious that the citeproc-js is the most advanced processor out there.
> What about citeproc-hs? Is there a roadmap for an 1.0-compatible release? I
> am asking because I would like to advertise CSL to the maker of  the
> (propriatary) software that I use to keep my bibliographic data and format
> my papers. It is a Objective-C Mac app, so the only chance I have to "sell"
> this to him would be to have an all-included compiled binary, so
> javascript+interpreter is definitely not an option unfortunately.
>
> Finally, it seems to me that all other language projects (php, ruby, python)
> are dead, or am I mistaken? I am still planning on providing a node.js-based
> version of citeproc-js, but I haven't even started.
>
> Cheers,
> Christian

Re: State of non-js processors

panyasan
Administrator
Hi Rob,

thank you for the pointer! That didn't even occur to me. A quick google search led me to this, for example:

http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/DisplayWebContent/Tasks/JavaScriptFromObjC.html

The only problem is that I have no way of trying this out since I am not an Objective-C programmer. With an executable (which can be generated from the Haskell code), I could do proof of concepts with shell scripts.

In any case, thanks a lot, I'll check with the programmer and see if he is interested (The obvious problem being that he has developed his own -- really complicated -- citation macro language and that supporting CSL might not be in his economic interest) - Let's see!

Christian

Re: State of non-js processors

Bruce D'Arcus-3
On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 10:51 AM, panyasan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>
> thank you for the pointer! That didn't even occur to me. A quick google
> search led me to this, for example:
>
> http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/DisplayWebContent/Tasks/JavaScriptFromObjC.html
>
> The only problem is that I have no way of trying this out since I am not an
> Objective-C programmer. With an executable (which can be generated from the
> Haskell code), I could do proof of concepts with shell scripts.
>
> In any case, thanks a lot, I'll check with the programmer and see if he is
> interested (The obvious problem being that he has developed his own --
> really complicated -- citation macro language and that supporting CSL might
> not be in his economic interest) - Let's see!

Worth pointing out that Mendeley has essentially adopted the approach
Rob suggested, albeit with a different (though still webkit-based)
toolkit. So there's your proof-of-concept ;-)

Re: State of non-js processors

Andrea Rossato
On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 06:04:11AM -0800, panyasan wrote:
> It is obvious that the citeproc-js is the most advanced processor out there.
> What about citeproc-hs?

citeproc-hs is almost CSL-1.0 ready. It passes 396 out of 533 tests.
Some of these tests are meaningless for citeproc-hs, and some will not
be passed for the time being since citeproc-hs is mostly intended for
pandoc, and some features are now meaningless in pandoc (some of the
bibliographic display options, for instance).

A new release is due in a matter of a weeks.

Andrea