Status page for style repository

1234

Status page for style repository

I was wondering if there would be any interest in helping me setting up a status page for the CSL style repository at https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles. I think it would be rather nice if we could use a post-commit hook to automatically update a status page displaying:

- the number of independent and dependent styles
- the results of CSL schema validation (do all styles validate), including validation against the embedded Schematron rules that scan for calls to undeclared macros
- a number of addition validation tests: is there any overlap in CSL file names between dependent and independent styles, do the file names match the style IDs, do the file names follow our naming guidelines, do all independent styles have a "self" link, do all "template" links point to existing styles, does the citation-format of dependent styles match that of their independent parent

I currently perform these tests manually on my local git repo with Jing and a few Python scripts (I mostly use csl-qc.py and csl-rights.py from https://github.com/citation-style-language/utilities, and I know Charles Parnot has some scripts of his own), but it would be nice if we could automate QC a little bit while showing people more information about the status of the repo. My hacking skills aren't advanced enough though to set this up myself.

Re: Status page for style repository

An option to consider ...

Remember that I used github pages to setup this:

http://citation-style-language.github.com/styles/

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Rintze Zelle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was wondering if there would be any interest in helping me setting up a
> status page for the CSL style repository
> at https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles. I think it would be
> rather nice if we could use a post-commit hook to automatically update a
> status page displaying:
>
> - the number of independent and dependent styles
> - the results of CSL schema validation (do all styles validate), including
> validation against the embedded Schematron rules that scan for calls to
> undeclared macros
> - a number of addition validation tests: is there any overlap in CSL file
> names between dependent and independent styles, do the file names match the
> style IDs, do the file names follow our naming guidelines, do all
> independent styles have a "self" link, do all "template" links point to
> existing styles, does the citation-format of dependent styles match that of
> their independent parent
>
> I currently perform these tests manually on my local git repo with Jing and
> a few Python scripts (I mostly
> use csl-qc.py and csl-rights.py from https://github.com/citation-style-language/utilities,
> and I know Charles Parnot has some scripts of his own), but it would be nice
> if we could automate QC a little bit while showing people more information
> about the status of the repo. My hacking skills aren't advanced enough
> though to set this up myself.

Re: Status page for style repository

Yeah, it was http://simonster.github.com/csl-validator.js/ that made me wonder we could do this all on github.com. But Simon uses client-side JavaScript, and I guess it would be easier to do things server-side.

Rintze

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
An option to consider ...

Remember that I used github pages to setup this:

http://citation-style-language.github.com/styles/

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Rintze Zelle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was wondering if there would be any interest in helping me setting up a
> status page for the CSL style repository
> at https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles. I think it would be
> rather nice if we could use a post-commit hook to automatically update a
> status page displaying:
>
> - the number of independent and dependent styles
> - the results of CSL schema validation (do all styles validate), including
> validation against the embedded Schematron rules that scan for calls to
> undeclared macros
> - a number of addition validation tests: is there any overlap in CSL file
> names between dependent and independent styles, do the file names match the
> style IDs, do the file names follow our naming guidelines, do all
> independent styles have a "self" link, do all "template" links point to
> existing styles, does the citation-format of dependent styles match that of
> their independent parent
>
> I currently perform these tests manually on my local git repo with Jing and
> a few Python scripts (I mostly
> use csl-qc.py and csl-rights.py from https://github.com/citation-style-language/utilities,
> and I know Charles Parnot has some scripts of his own), but it would be nice
> if we could automate QC a little bit while showing people more information
> about the status of the repo. My hacking skills aren't advanced enough
> though to set this up myself.

Re: Status page for style repository

Dear all,

Sylvester Keil has been extraordinary helpful in the past couple of weeks by setting up an automatic testing environment (using the Travis CI service) for CSL styles hosted on GitHub. After tinkering a little with Python (and Jing), he has now settled on Ruby. Tests are automatically run after each commit to the GitHub repository (currently his fork of https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles ), and build reports can be viewed at http://travis-ci.org/#!/inukshuk/styles .

The current tests are defined in
and
and are somewhat self-explanatory. They include XML and CSL schema validation, and cover all the tests I normally run on my own computer. Similar tests can be set up for the CSL locales (which also should validate to the CSL schema).

At this point, there are a few questions for contributors and consumers of CSL styles.

1) How the test environment should be incorporated into our workflow.

a) for contributors: once everything is in place, I would like to ask of everybody who directly commits to the style repository to run the tests locally to make sure only correct styles are added to the repository. Alternatively, you could just fork the repo and create pull requests (Travis CI supports screening of pull requests before they are merged, which should catch any problems http://about.travis-ci.org/blog/announcing-pull-request-support/ ).

b) for consumers (Zotero, Mendeley): are you all happy with the way the repository is being run now? Sometimes the repository contains a bunch of invalid styles, and an error (e.g. deleting all styles) can quickly affect a lot of users. We could:

i) revoke commit access from all contributors and require them to use pull requests, which the repository maintainers could manually merge when Travis CI gives the green light (merging is a chore, so I'm not a fan of this approach), or
ii) create a separate repository that automatically pulls in commits from https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles, but only if all tests pass. I think this should be relatively easy to set up with a commit hook, and should be very maintenance free. Consumers of CSL styles could then get their styles from that verified repository.
iii) keep things as they are.

2) whether there are any additional tests we can add. Charles, I know you do some quality assurance as well. Do you see any missing tests?

Comments welcome,

Rintze

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Rintze Zelle <[hidden email]> wrote:
I was wondering if there would be any interest in helping me setting up a status page for the CSL style repository at https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles.

Re: Status page for style repository

Charles Parnot
Hi Rintze,

This is really great, and something that's very much needed. I like that it's using Ruby too ;-)

Regarding adding more control on what gets into the clients, I also think it would be good to have at least one level of control, and prevent commits with failures to make it to the clients. There is much simpler alternative to having a separate repository, and that's to have instead a separate branch. We can very simply keep the current 'master' branch, and simply add a 'tested' branch. This would be a simple branch that we can fast-forward automatically to the latest commit on which all tests pass.

In pseudo-code, that would be something like this:

if (csl_tests_all_good_on_master)
     git update-ref -m "Fast forward tested branch" origin/tested origin/master

So it really amounts to moving upn the 'tested' pointer as soon as tests pass, and no need for a separate repository.

Then clients simply need to pull from the 'tested' branch instead of 'master.

charles

On Jul 16, 2012, at 11:44 AM, Rintze Zelle wrote:

> [...]
>
> Comments welcome,
>
> Rintze
>
> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Rintze Zelle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was wondering if there would be any interest in helping me setting up a status page for the CSL style repository at https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles.

Re: Status page for style repository

> The current tests are defined in
> https://github.com/inukshuk/styles/blob/testing-ruby/spec/independent_styles_spec.rb
> and
> https://github.com/inukshuk/styles/blob/testing-ruby/spec/dependent_styles_spec.rb
> and are somewhat self-explanatory. They include XML and CSL schema validation, and cover all the tests I normally run on my own computer. Similar tests can be set up for the CSL locales (which also should validate to the CSL schema).

Could we merge this now into the main repository, so we can start using it? Maybe with a few instructions? I like the idea of having those tests right there with the repo. And it will then be possible for us to submit more tests or modify existing ones if needed.

Again, this looks like a great addition to the repository, I am eager to get that integrated into my workflow!

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 4:22 PM, Charles Parnot <[hidden email]> wrote:
Regarding adding more control on what gets into the clients, I also think it would be good to have at least one level of control, and prevent commits with failures to make it to the clients. There is much simpler alternative to having a separate repository, and that's to have instead a separate branch.

The benefit I see in having a separate repository is that it would be safer: fewer people could have write access to the "verified repository", and people wouldn't be able to accidentally commit to the wrong branch.

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Charles Parnot <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The current tests are defined in
> https://github.com/inukshuk/styles/blob/testing-ruby/spec/independent_styles_spec.rb
> and
> https://github.com/inukshuk/styles/blob/testing-ruby/spec/dependent_styles_spec.rb
> and are somewhat self-explanatory. They include XML and CSL schema validation, and cover all the tests I normally run on my own computer. Similar tests can be set up for the CSL locales (which also should validate to the CSL schema).

Could we merge this now into the main repository, so we can start using it? Maybe with a few instructions? I like the idea of having those tests right there with the repo. And it will then be possible for us to submit more tests or modify existing ones if needed.

Yes, that was another question that slipped my mind. Does anybody object to putting the test scripts in the main repo?

Sylvester helped me along running the tests locally on Windows XP (through http://rubyinstaller.org/ ), which was a quick setup.

Re: Status page for style repository

We could prevent anybody from committing to the 'tested' branch with a commit-hook (http://www.galengrover.com/git/prevent-committing-to-master-with-git-hooks/). The branch can then only be used as a pointer.

I honestly don't know which way is easier, so in the end, whatever works is good for me. You may be right: a separate repo could be easier to enforce.

charles

On Jul 16, 2012, at 1:28 PM, Rintze Zelle wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 4:22 PM, Charles Parnot <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Regarding adding more control on what gets into the clients, I also think it would be good to have at least one level of control, and prevent commits with failures to make it to the clients. There is much simpler alternative to having a separate repository, and that's to have instead a separate branch.
>
> The benefit I see in having a separate repository is that it would be safer: fewer people could have write access to the "verified repository", and people wouldn't be able to accidentally commit to the wrong branch.

Re: Status page for style repository

>> Could we merge this now into the main repository, so we can start using it? Maybe with a few instructions? I like the idea of having those tests right there with the repo. And it will then be possible for us to submit more tests or modify existing ones if needed.
> Yes, that was another question that slipped my mind. Does anybody object to putting the test scripts in the main repo?

If possible, it would be nice to move all the related files inside one directory, e.g. /Tests/?

> Sylvester helped me along running the tests locally on Windows XP (through http://rubyinstaller.org/ ), which was a quick setup.

Looks like I will just need to install a few gems, then.

charles

Re: Status page for style repository

Robert Knight
Hello,

Thanks Rintze and Sylvester for working on this.  It should make it
easier for us to safely provide frequent style updates to users.

> ii) create a separate repository that automatically pulls in commits from https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles,
> but only if all tests pass. I think this should be relatively easy to set up with a commit hook, and should be very maintenance free.
> Consumers of CSL styles could then get their styles from that verified repository.

This seems sensible and matches our own workflow internally - except
that we apply commit restrictions (which can be on the committer, the
content of the commit message or the content blobs) only to certain
branches in the pre-receive hook rather than the whole repository.

Though git makes it easier to push, pull and merge between different
repositories, I suspect that just applying restrictions on pushing to
certain branches (eg. only the CI system can push to master) might be
easier to work with.

Regards,
Rob.

On 16 July 2012 21:43, Charles Parnot <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Could we merge this now into the main repository, so we can start using it? Maybe with a few instructions? I like the idea of having those tests right there with the repo. And it will then be possible for us to submit more tests or modify existing ones if needed.
>> Yes, that was another question that slipped my mind. Does anybody object to putting the test scripts in the main repo?
>
> If possible, it would be nice to move all the related files inside one directory, e.g. /Tests/?
>

>> Sylvester helped me along running the tests locally on Windows XP (through http://rubyinstaller.org/ ), which was a quick setup.
>
> Looks like I will just need to install a few gems, then.
>
> charles

Re: Status page for style repository

Bruce D'Arcus-3

Been out of town, and will look at this more closely later. But my strong belief is that (in particular the master branch on) the main csl style repo should be the canonical one. Is that not possible?

On Jul 16, 2012 5:12 PM, "Robert Knight" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

Thanks Rintze and Sylvester for working on this.  It should make it
easier for us to safely provide frequent style updates to users.

> ii) create a separate repository that automatically pulls in commits from https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles,
> but only if all tests pass. I think this should be relatively easy to set up with a commit hook, and should be very maintenance free.
> Consumers of CSL styles could then get their styles from that verified repository.

This seems sensible and matches our own workflow internally - except
that we apply commit restrictions (which can be on the committer, the
content of the commit message or the content blobs) only to certain
branches in the pre-receive hook rather than the whole repository.

Though git makes it easier to push, pull and merge between different
repositories, I suspect that just applying restrictions on pushing to
certain branches (eg. only the CI system can push to master) might be
easier to work with.

Regards,
Rob.

On 16 July 2012 21:43, Charles Parnot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Could we merge this now into the main repository, so we can start using it? Maybe with a few instructions? I like the idea of having those tests right there with the repo. And it will then be possible for us to submit more tests or modify existing ones if needed.
>> Yes, that was another question that slipped my mind. Does anybody object to putting the test scripts in the main repo?
>
> If possible, it would be nice to move all the related files inside one directory, e.g. /Tests/?
>

>> Sylvester helped me along running the tests locally on Windows XP (through http://rubyinstaller.org/ ), which was a quick setup.
>
> Looks like I will just need to install a few gems, then.
>
> charles

Re: Status page for style repository

Charles Parnot
We can definitely arrange it any way we want. I can see how it would make sense that the master branch of the main CSL repository would have the full tested styles and would be the one clients should pull from, and users could download from.

An 'edge' branch or fork would be the one with the commits still to be tested.

charles

On Jul 16, 2012, at 4:48 PM, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> Been out of town, and will look at this more closely later. But my strong belief is that (in particular the master branch on) the main csl style repo should be the canonical one. Is that not possible?
>
> On Jul 16, 2012 5:12 PM, "Robert Knight" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks Rintze and Sylvester for working on this.  It should make it
> easier for us to safely provide frequent style updates to users.
>
> > ii) create a separate repository that automatically pulls in commits from https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles,
> > but only if all tests pass. I think this should be relatively easy to set up with a commit hook, and should be very maintenance free.
> > Consumers of CSL styles could then get their styles from that verified repository.
>
> This seems sensible and matches our own workflow internally - except
> that we apply commit restrictions (which can be on the committer, the
> content of the commit message or the content blobs) only to certain
> branches in the pre-receive hook rather than the whole repository.
>
> Though git makes it easier to push, pull and merge between different
> repositories, I suspect that just applying restrictions on pushing to
> certain branches (eg. only the CI system can push to master) might be
> easier to work with.
>
> Regards,
> Rob.

> >> Yes, that was another question that slipped my mind. Does anybody object to putting the test scripts in the main repo?
> >
> > If possible, it would be nice to move all the related files inside one directory, e.g. /Tests/?
> >

> >> Sylvester helped me along running the tests locally on Windows XP (through http://rubyinstaller.org/ ), which was a quick setup.
> >
> > Looks like I will just need to install a few gems, then.
> >
> > charles

Re: Status page for style repository

Sylvester Keil
To keep the tested styles in the master branch is certainly possible. In fact, this is similar to our current test setup, as we created separate branches for the Ruby and Python tests respectively. It is then very easy to configure travis-ci to run the tests on a specific branch only.

By the way, I just pulled in the latest styles from the master branch and all tests are passing now.

Rintze, if you give me write access to the official wiki I will add instructions on how to set up the test environment there.

Sylvester

On Jul 17, 2012, at 2:23 AM, Charles Parnot wrote:

> We can definitely arrange it any way we want. I can see how it would make sense that the master branch of the main CSL repository would have the full tested styles and would be the one clients should pull from, and users could download from.
>
> An 'edge' branch or fork would be the one with the commits still to be tested.
>
> charles
>

> On Jul 16, 2012, at 4:48 PM, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
>
>> Been out of town, and will look at this more closely later. But my strong belief is that (in particular the master branch on) the main csl style repo should be the canonical one. Is that not possible?
>>
>> On Jul 16, 2012 5:12 PM, "Robert Knight" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Thanks Rintze and Sylvester for working on this.  It should make it
>> easier for us to safely provide frequent style updates to users.
>>
>>> ii) create a separate repository that automatically pulls in commits from https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles,
>>> but only if all tests pass. I think this should be relatively easy to set up with a commit hook, and should be very maintenance free.
>>> Consumers of CSL styles could then get their styles from that verified repository.
>>
>> This seems sensible and matches our own workflow internally - except
>> that we apply commit restrictions (which can be on the committer, the
>> content of the commit message or the content blobs) only to certain
>> branches in the pre-receive hook rather than the whole repository.
>>
>> Though git makes it easier to push, pull and merge between different
>> repositories, I suspect that just applying restrictions on pushing to
>> certain branches (eg. only the CI system can push to master) might be
>> easier to work with.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Rob.

>>> If possible, it would be nice to move all the related files inside one directory, e.g. /Tests/?

>>> Looks like I will just need to install a few gems, then.
>>>
>>> charles

> Charles Parnot
> [hidden email]
> twitter: @cparnot
> http://mekentosj.com

Re: Status page for style repository

Yes, keeping the master branch of https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles as the canonical one makes sense.

So the consensus seems to be that a new branch for untested test should suffice? I'd be very happy if one of you could pick up the gauntlet and set this up (I prefer to hide behind the excuse that I'm not a professional programmer). I can give read/write access to the repo to anybody interested.

Rintze

On Jul 17, 2012, at 4:07 PM, Rintze Zelle wrote:

> Yes, keeping the master branch of https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles as the canonical one makes sense.
>
> So the consensus seems to be that a new branch for untested test should suffice? I'd be very happy if one of you could pick up the gauntlet and set this up (I prefer to hide behind the excuse that I'm not a professional programmer). I can give read/write access to the repo to anybody interested.

I'll gladly create the new branch and set up the test-environment there. Any preferences for the branch name? (I would have suggested 'development' or 'dev' myself)

Sylvester

Re: Status page for style repository

"development" is fine.

Rintze

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Sylvester Keil <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jul 17, 2012, at 4:07 PM, Rintze Zelle wrote:

> Yes, keeping the master branch of https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles as the canonical one makes sense.
>
> So the consensus seems to be that a new branch for untested test should suffice? I'd be very happy if one of you could pick up the gauntlet and set this up (I prefer to hide behind the excuse that I'm not a professional programmer). I can give read/write access to the repo to anybody interested.

I'll gladly create the new branch and set up the test-environment there. Any preferences for the branch name? (I would have suggested 'development' or 'dev' myself)

Sylvester

Re: Status page for style repository

Bruce D'Arcus-3
One thing to keep in mind about git: branches are super lightweight.
So, for example, it's possible to consider dev branches for every
committer.

I'm not saying this is a great idea; just suggesting you all not be
bound by CVS/SVN thinking on branches.

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Rintze Zelle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "development" is fine.
>
> Rintze
>
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Sylvester Keil <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>

>> On Jul 17, 2012, at 4:07 PM, Rintze Zelle wrote:
>>
>> > Yes, keeping the master branch of
>> > https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles as the canonical one makes
>> > sense.
>> >
>> > So the consensus seems to be that a new branch for untested test should
>> > suffice? I'd be very happy if one of you could pick up the gauntlet and set
>> > this up (I prefer to hide behind the excuse that I'm not a professional
>> > programmer). I can give read/write access to the repo to anybody interested.
>>
>> I'll gladly create the new branch and set up the test-environment there.
>> Any preferences for the branch name? (I would have suggested 'development'
>> or 'dev' myself)
>>
>> Sylvester

Re: Status page for style repository

Charles Parnot
@sylvester: thanks! and 'development' seems like a good name :-)

@bruce: thanks for the trip back to memory lane; had not thought of svn in a while… Given the nature of the CSL repo, and the low granularity, and given that there are almost no dependencies between files, it works very well to have just one shared branch, but I agree it's good to keep in mind.

In fact, it reminds me of the discussion about CSL 1.0.1. With these tests put in place (and after giving it a bit of time to settle), maybe it would be nice to start thinking about that transition also in terms of branches. I know you had proposed to create a separate directory for the different version (how svn-like!!!), but a branch would likely work as well. Merging changes from development back into a 1.0.1 branch would allow to keep the 1.0.1 styles in sync, and eventually, the 'development' branch could be split to leave a 1.0.0 branch behind, and switch its content to 1.0.1 styles. At that point, 'master' would pick up those 1.0.1 styles as well. The 1.0.0 branch could also be updated by merging back 'master' into it (but being careful to then strip the changes that are 1.0.1 specific).

On Jul 17, 2012, at 8:53 AM, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> One thing to keep in mind about git: branches are super lightweight.
> So, for example, it's possible to consider dev branches for every
> committer.
>
> I'm not saying this is a great idea; just suggesting you all not be
> bound by CVS/SVN thinking on branches.
>
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Rintze Zelle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> "development" is fine.
>>
>> Rintze
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Sylvester Keil <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> I'll gladly create the new branch and set up the test-environment there.
>>> Any preferences for the branch name? (I would have suggested 'development'
>>> or 'dev' myself)
>>>
>>> Sylvester

1234