Testing empty variables with "is-numeric" and "is-uncertain-date"

Testing empty variables with "is-numeric" and "is-uncertain-date"

Gracile noticed that citeproc-js currently tests "true" with the
"is-numeric" and "is-uncertain-date" conditions when the tested
variable(s) are empty:

http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/28159/?Focus=148324#Comment_148324

Gracile, Sebastian, and I all think that the result should be "false"
instead. Unless anybody objects within the next few days I'll modify
the CSL specification to require the latter behavior.

Re: Testing empty variables with "is-numeric" and "is-uncertain-date"

fbennett
On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 11:26 PM, Rintze Zelle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gracile noticed that citeproc-js currently tests "true" with the
> "is-numeric" and "is-uncertain-date" conditions when the tested
> variable(s) are empty:
>
> http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/28159/?Focus=148324#Comment_148324
>
> Gracile, Sebastian, and I all think that the result should be "false"
> instead. Unless anybody objects within the next few days I'll modify
> the CSL specification to require the latter behavior.
>
> Rintze

Ouch. I agree, that certainly shouldn't happen.

Re: Testing empty variables with "is-numeric" and "is-uncertain-date"

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 11:26 PM, Rintze Zelle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gracile noticed that citeproc-js currently tests "true" with the
> "is-numeric" and "is-uncertain-date" conditions when the tested
> variable(s) are empty:
>
> http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/28159/?Focus=148324#Comment_148324
>
> Gracile, Sebastian, and I all think that the result should be "false"
> instead. Unless anybody objects within the next few days I'll modify
> the CSL specification to require the latter behavior.
>
> Rintze

As far as I can tell, is-uncertain-date with an empty date variable is
returning false. I may be getting tangled up in double-negatives, but
that would be correct, right?

is-numeric is definitely behaving badly, though.