Quantcast

Use of Sponsorship Money and Governance

Sebastian Karcher
Hi all,
this post has two parts: it starts with a suggested budget for the use of sponsorship money we have/will receive(d) this year, then some brief more general considerations on governance. So if you don't care about the former, please scroll down. We have received the money from Springer/Papers and are waiting for the check from Elsevier/Mendeley, which should arrive any time.

This is Rintze and my budget proposal:

Donations 2014 + $5000
Rintze - $1962.94
Sebastian - $1950
Stickers - $72.96
- taxes 2014: $1410*
---
- 395.90

Donations 2015
$10,000
----
- 1,200 (d) (Sylvester for submission bot)
- 3,150 (Rintze, Sebastian, 1,575 each)
- 400 (d?) (Phillip - proposed)
- 165 (d) (style manuals)**
- 396 ("deficit" 2014)
- 2460 (est. taxes 2015) (10,000-anything I can tax deduct)*.285
----
2015 Budgeted "surplus": $2,229

(d) signifies tax deductible for me

Let me know if anything looks wrong or you have any questions, on or off list is fine.
Three questions in ascending order of generality:

1. Is everyone OK with this? Suggested changes, objections?
2. What should we do with the $2,229 currently left? I'd love to support Frank's work in some way, so Frank if there's anything we can do--pay for server or the like--please let us know. Beyond that, any other ideas? Both donations are no-strings-attached, so we can do anything that's useful for CSL: Fund travel to conferences/talks or face-to-face meetings, fund/bounty additional CSL-related development. Thoughts, ideas?
3. Rintze and I both feel that some type of governance would make sense now that we deal with non-trivial amounts of money. At the same time, time is one of our scarcest resources, so we shouldn't do anything that places any undue burden on that. Rintze suggested something like this:

we could create a governing board, whose role is to annually articulate short and long-term goals of the CSL project (with community input), and make decisions on how these goals can be best achieved with the available funds. (...) We could have a poll every year or two for the board positions.

We could, alternatively, just keep running this entirely through the list and on a consensus basis, which has worked pretty well, but I am a little worried that we don't have any mechanism in place at all should there be some type of conflict.

Looking forward to hearing people's thoughts, especially on 2 and 3.
Sebastian

* a little under 15% each for income and self-employment tax
** specifically: CMoS subscription: $60 for 2 years (d)
Australian Gov't Style Manaual $50 (d)
Duden Schriftliche Arbeit $15 (d)
SBL Style Manual 2nd Edition $40 (d)

Re: Use of Sponsorship Money and Governance

Bruce D'Arcus-3
Agreed. I guess the obvious question is what that should look like.
Perhaps something like Rintze suggests, along with a simple governance
document that articulates that all?

On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 4:48 PM, Martin Fenner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> short and long-term goals of the CSL project (with community input), and
>> make decisions on how these goals can be best achieved with the available
>> funds. (...) We could have a poll every year or two for the board positions.
>

> We could, alternatively, just keep running this entirely through the list
> and on a consensus basis, which has worked pretty well, but I am a little
> worried that we don't have any mechanism in place at all should there be
> some type of conflict.
>
> Looking forward to hearing people's thoughts, especially on 2 and 3.
> Sebastian
>

> * a little under 15% each for income and self-employment tax
> ** specifically: CMoS subscription: $60 for 2 years (d)
> Australian Gov't Style Manaual $50 (d)
> Duden Schriftliche Arbeit $15 (d)
> SBL Style Manual 2nd Edition $40 (d)

Re: Use of Sponsorship Money and Governance

Governance is good.

It would be great if CSL could cover the costs I incur in connection
with project hosting. They arise from work on MLZ (to be rebranded in
due course as "Juris-M"). The justification would be that Juris-M
development explores territory in law and multilingual referencing
into which CSL may eventually move. I'm not sure everyone is
comfortable with that logic.

The costs would be small. From memory, it's something like this:

1. SSL certificate: $15.95
2. Shared Hosting: ~$70.00
3. DNS reg: ~$10.00

The cert at (1) will be installed on a University server that I use to
negotiate OAuth connections to GitHub from https://juris-m.github.io.
The server is currently running with a cert issued by the UPKI center
in the National Institute for Informatics (NII), a free service to
Japanese universities. The service will be terminated in June, and
there is apparently to be no replacement, neither at the NII nor in
our university.

With OAuth authentication, the Juris-M code editor can submit
one-click pull requests to any GitHub repo. The site is currently
bound to the legal style modules repo, but could be extended to direct
mainstream CSL styles to the CSL repo, if that is desired.

The hosting at (2) is for the http://citationstylist.org domain and
server. I plan to migrate this content to Juris-M on GitHub in a
general housecleaning, but the DNS reg will need to be maintained for
a time to handle redirects.

The DNS reg at (3) is for the gsl-nagoya-u.net domain, which currently
serves the MLZ xpi and some documentation - it is no longer used by
our faculty, and I have de facto control over the domain. It will also
need to be maintained for a time, again for the general migration to
the new Juris-M space on GitHub.

That's the rough run-down, I can dig out receipts when needed. Once a
mode of decision-making is agreed, I'll follow the group's decision on
whether these costs are in-scope.

Frank

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 5:19 AM, Sebastian Karcher
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> short and long-term goals of the CSL project (with community input), and
>> make decisions on how these goals can be best achieved with the available
>> funds. (...) We could have a poll every year or two for the board positions.
>

> We could, alternatively, just keep running this entirely through the list
> and on a consensus basis, which has worked pretty well, but I am a little
> worried that we don't have any mechanism in place at all should there be
> some type of conflict.
>
> Looking forward to hearing people's thoughts, especially on 2 and 3.
> Sebastian
>

> * a little under 15% each for income and self-employment tax
> ** specifically: CMoS subscription: $60 for 2 years (d)
> Australian Gov't Style Manaual $50 (d)
> Duden Schriftliche Arbeit $15 (d)
> SBL Style Manual 2nd Edition $40 (d)

Re: Use of Sponsorship Money and Governance

Since the early trend seems to go towards governance -- would people be OK with an informal governance document, i.e. something that's mutually agreed on and binding in that sense, but doesn't aim at being enforceable in any court? I currently think that'd be my preferred option.

Otherwise we'd probably have to incorporate CSL in some way, which is exactly the level of bureaucracy I'd like to avoid. But if there are compelling arguments to go all formal, I'm certainly open to being convinced.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
> undue burden on that. Rintze suggested something like this:
>
>> we could create a governing board, whose role is to annually articulate
>> short and long-term goals of the CSL project (with community input), and
>> make decisions on how these goals can be best achieved with the available
>> funds. (...) We could have a poll every year or two for the board positions.
>

> We could, alternatively, just keep running this entirely through the list
> and on a consensus basis, which has worked pretty well, but I am a little
> worried that we don't have any mechanism in place at all should there be
> some type of conflict.
>
> Looking forward to hearing people's thoughts, especially on 2 and 3.
> Sebastian
>

> * a little under 15% each for income and self-employment tax
> ** specifically: CMoS subscription: $60 for 2 years (d)

Sebastian Karcher, PhD

Re: Use of Sponsorship Money and Governance

Bruce D'Arcus-3

Fine with me. It can always be basis for formalization later, if needed.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
>> make decisions on how these goals can be best achieved with the available
>> funds. (...) We could have a poll every year or two for the board positions.
>

> We could, alternatively, just keep running this entirely through the list
> and on a consensus basis, which has worked pretty well, but I am a little
> worried that we don't have any mechanism in place at all should there be
> some type of conflict.
>
> Looking forward to hearing people's thoughts, especially on 2 and 3.
> Sebastian
>

> * a little under 15% each for income and self-employment tax
> ** specifically: CMoS subscription: $60 for 2 years (d)
> Australian Gov't Style Manaual $50 (d)
> Duden Schriftliche Arbeit $15 (d)
> SBL Style Manual 2nd Edition $40 (d)

Sebastian Karcher, PhD

Re: Use of Sponsorship Money and Governance

(If support is possible, it would best be done as a contribution to
our faculty for research purposes - in principle we cannot receive
private payments without specific approval by consent of the Faculty.
Also, if CSL are willing to treat it as a general donation, a bit of
extra would me most welcome.)

An informal agreement on management seems reasonable to me.

FB

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 7:14 AM, Frank Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> short and long-term goals of the CSL project (with community input), and
>>> make decisions on how these goals can be best achieved with the available
>>> funds. (...) We could have a poll every year or two for the board positions.
>>

>> We could, alternatively, just keep running this entirely through the list
>> and on a consensus basis, which has worked pretty well, but I am a little
>> worried that we don't have any mechanism in place at all should there be
>> some type of conflict.
>>
>> Looking forward to hearing people's thoughts, especially on 2 and 3.
>> Sebastian
>>

>> * a little under 15% each for income and self-employment tax
>> ** specifically: CMoS subscription: $60 for 2 years (d)
>> Australian Gov't Style Manaual $50 (d)
>> Duden Schriftliche Arbeit $15 (d)
>> SBL Style Manual 2nd Edition $40 (d)

Re: Use of Sponsorship Money and Governance

Carles Pina
Governance: keep it simple for now, fine with me!

Donation money: your break down makes sense to me. I'd say that any
money spent on good automation tools and maintenance will pay off in
medium term. Maybe after the first run we can have more ideas to
improve the bot tools.

Regards,

On 12 April 2015 at 23:35, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Fine with me. It can always be basis for formalization later, if needed.
>
> On Apr 12, 2015 6:31 PM, "Sebastian Karcher" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Since the early trend seems to go towards governance -- would people be OK
>> with an informal governance document, i.e. something that's mutually agreed
>> on and binding in that sense, but doesn't aim at being enforceable in any
>> court? I currently think that'd be my preferred option.
>>
>> Otherwise we'd probably have to incorporate CSL in some way, which is
>> exactly the level of bureaucracy I'd like to avoid. But if there are
>> compelling arguments to go all formal, I'm certainly open to being
>> convinced.
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 5:14 PM, Frank Bennett <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Governance is good.
>>>
>>> It would be great if CSL could cover the costs I incur in connection
>>> with project hosting. They arise from work on MLZ (to be rebranded in
>>> due course as "Juris-M"). The justification would be that Juris-M
>>> development explores territory in law and multilingual referencing
>>> into which CSL may eventually move. I'm not sure everyone is
>>> comfortable with that logic.
>>>
>>> The costs would be small. From memory, it's something like this:
>>>
>>> 1. SSL certificate: $15.95
>>> 2. Shared Hosting: ~$70.00
>>> 3. DNS reg: ~$10.00
>>>
>>> The cert at (1) will be installed on a University server that I use to
>>> negotiate OAuth connections to GitHub from https://juris-m.github.io.
>>> The server is currently running with a cert issued by the UPKI center
>>> in the National Institute for Informatics (NII), a free service to
>>> Japanese universities. The service will be terminated in June, and
>>> there is apparently to be no replacement, neither at the NII nor in
>>> our university.
>>>
>>> With OAuth authentication, the Juris-M code editor can submit
>>> one-click pull requests to any GitHub repo. The site is currently
>>> bound to the legal style modules repo, but could be extended to direct
>>> mainstream CSL styles to the CSL repo, if that is desired.
>>>
>>> The hosting at (2) is for the http://citationstylist.org domain and
>>> server. I plan to migrate this content to Juris-M on GitHub in a
>>> general housecleaning, but the DNS reg will need to be maintained for
>>> a time to handle redirects.
>>>
>>> The DNS reg at (3) is for the gsl-nagoya-u.net domain, which currently
>>> serves the MLZ xpi and some documentation - it is no longer used by
>>> our faculty, and I have de facto control over the domain. It will also
>>> need to be maintained for a time, again for the general migration to
>>> the new Juris-M space on GitHub.
>>>
>>> That's the rough run-down, I can dig out receipts when needed. Once a
>>> mode of decision-making is agreed, I'll follow the group's decision on
>>> whether these costs are in-scope.
>>>
>>> Frank

>>> BPM Camp - Free Virtual Workshop May 6th at 10am PDT/1PM EDT
>>> Develop your own process in accordance with the BPMN 2 standard
>>> Learn Process modeling best practices with Bonita BPM through live
>>> exercises
>>> http://www.bonitasoft.com/be-part-of-it/events/bpm-camp-virtual-
>>> event?utm_
>>> source=Sourceforge_BPM_Camp_5_6_15&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=VA_SF

>> Sebastian Karcher, PhD
>> Department of Political Science
>> Northwestern University

>> BPM Camp - Free Virtual Workshop May 6th at 10am PDT/1PM EDT
>> Develop your own process in accordance with the BPMN 2 standard
>> Learn Process modeling best practices with Bonita BPM through live
>> exercises
>> http://www.bonitasoft.com/be-part-of-it/events/bpm-camp-virtual-
>> event?utm_
>> source=Sourceforge_BPM_Camp_5_6_15&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=VA_SF

Carles Pina | Software Engineer
http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/

Re: Use of Sponsorship Money and Governance

Sebastian Karcher
We now have received donations from both Springer and Elsevier, and Rintze and I are working on announcing those publicly.

So I'd now like to finalize the budget. In addition to my original suggestion, I had a longer conversation in which Frank suggested that a significant one-time donation of $1000.- to him through the University of Nagoya would be very helpful. We'd help support his countless activities that help to improve and document CSL, including work on legal features that we hope to integrate into CSL as well as, most recently, his combined validation/testing tool he put up as part of juris-m (it's currently in beta, I'll assume he'll make a full announcement when it's ready, but it'll be quite helpful for testing our more complex styles).

With that included, the full budget for 2015 is (see my initial e-mail in this thread for further details):

Donations 2015
$10,000
----
- 1,200 (d) (Sylvester for submission bot)
- 3,150 (Rintze, Sebastian, 1,575 each)
- 400 (d?) (Phillip)
- 1000 (d?) (Frank)
- 165 (d) (style manuals)
- 396 ("deficit" 2014)
- 2460 (est. taxes 2015) (10,000-anything I can tax deduct)*.285
----
2015 Budgeted "surplus": $1,229

(d denotes tax deductible for me).

I think having some leftover funding is great, e.g. if we have additional things we'd like to purchase or tools we'd like to fund. We're also not tied to any budget cycles, so there's no issue with carrying over funds into next year.

Any objections? Questions? Additional requests or ideas for funding?

(as a reminder -- we have, as by last Sunday, adopted our governance document, currently at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NAqO2OfjaUZg2iEi4KvFkUiVcpcGCJVw9KnrBbBDYxk/edit?usp=sharing. Rintze is putting it on citationstyles.org right now. The default decision-making process is still consensus on this mailing list, so this shouldn't really change much.)

Have a great week,
Sebastian

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 5:27 AM, Carles Pina <[hidden email]> wrote:
Governance: keep it simple for now, fine with me!

Donation money: your break down makes sense to me. I'd say that any
money spent on good automation tools and maintenance will pay off in
medium term. Maybe after the first run we can have more ideas to
improve the bot tools.

Regards,

On 12 April 2015 at 23:35, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Fine with me. It can always be basis for formalization later, if needed.
>
> On Apr 12, 2015 6:31 PM, "Sebastian Karcher" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Since the early trend seems to go towards governance -- would people be OK
>> with an informal governance document, i.e. something that's mutually agreed
>> on and binding in that sense, but doesn't aim at being enforceable in any
>> court? I currently think that'd be my preferred option.
>>
>> Otherwise we'd probably have to incorporate CSL in some way, which is
>> exactly the level of bureaucracy I'd like to avoid. But if there are
>> compelling arguments to go all formal, I'm certainly open to being
>> convinced.
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 5:14 PM, Frank Bennett <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Governance is good.
>>>
>>> It would be great if CSL could cover the costs I incur in connection
>>> with project hosting. They arise from work on MLZ (to be rebranded in
>>> due course as "Juris-M"). The justification would be that Juris-M
>>> development explores territory in law and multilingual referencing
>>> into which CSL may eventually move. I'm not sure everyone is
>>> comfortable with that logic.
>>>
>>> The costs would be small. From memory, it's something like this:
>>>
>>> 1. SSL certificate: $15.95
>>> 2. Shared Hosting: ~$70.00
>>> 3. DNS reg: ~$10.00
>>>
>>> The cert at (1) will be installed on a University server that I use to
>>> negotiate OAuth connections to GitHub from https://juris-m.github.io.
>>> The server is currently running with a cert issued by the UPKI center
>>> in the National Institute for Informatics (NII), a free service to
>>> Japanese universities. The service will be terminated in June, and
>>> there is apparently to be no replacement, neither at the NII nor in
>>> our university.
>>>
>>> With OAuth authentication, the Juris-M code editor can submit
>>> one-click pull requests to any GitHub repo. The site is currently
>>> bound to the legal style modules repo, but could be extended to direct
>>> mainstream CSL styles to the CSL repo, if that is desired.
>>>
>>> The hosting at (2) is for the http://citationstylist.org domain and
>>> server. I plan to migrate this content to Juris-M on GitHub in a
>>> general housecleaning, but the DNS reg will need to be maintained for
>>> a time to handle redirects.
>>>
>>> The DNS reg at (3) is for the gsl-nagoya-u.net domain, which currently
>>> serves the MLZ xpi and some documentation - it is no longer used by
>>> our faculty, and I have de facto control over the domain. It will also
>>> need to be maintained for a time, again for the general migration to
>>> the new Juris-M space on GitHub.
>>>
>>> That's the rough run-down, I can dig out receipts when needed. Once a
>>> mode of decision-making is agreed, I'll follow the group's decision on
>>> whether these costs are in-scope.
>>>
>>> Frank

>>> BPM Camp - Free Virtual Workshop May 6th at 10am PDT/1PM EDT
>>> Develop your own process in accordance with the BPMN 2 standard
>>> Learn Process modeling best practices with Bonita BPM through live
>>> exercises
>>> http://www.bonitasoft.com/be-part-of-it/events/bpm-camp-virtual-
>>> event?utm_
>>> source=Sourceforge_BPM_Camp_5_6_15&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=VA_SF

>> Sebastian Karcher, PhD
>> Department of Political Science
>> Northwestern University

>> BPM Camp - Free Virtual Workshop May 6th at 10am PDT/1PM EDT
>> Develop your own process in accordance with the BPMN 2 standard
>> Learn Process modeling best practices with Bonita BPM through live
>> exercises
>> http://www.bonitasoft.com/be-part-of-it/events/bpm-camp-virtual-
>> event?utm_
>> source=Sourceforge_BPM_Camp_5_6_15&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=VA_SF

Carles Pina | Software Engineer
http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/

Sebastian Karcher, PhD

Re: Use of Sponsorship Money and Governance

Robert Knight
Budget looks very reasonable to me, agree that supporting Frank is a good use of funds. I had a question about the licensing of software on the CSL draft document.

On 17 May 2015 at 22:56, Sebastian Karcher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> court? I currently think that'd be my preferred option.
>>
>> Otherwise we'd probably have to incorporate CSL in some way, which is
>> exactly the level of bureaucracy I'd like to avoid. But if there are
>> compelling arguments to go all formal, I'm certainly open to being
>> convinced.
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 5:14 PM, Frank Bennett <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Governance is good.
>>>
>>> It would be great if CSL could cover the costs I incur in connection
>>> with project hosting. They arise from work on MLZ (to be rebranded in
>>> due course as "Juris-M"). The justification would be that Juris-M
>>> development explores territory in law and multilingual referencing
>>> into which CSL may eventually move. I'm not sure everyone is
>>> comfortable with that logic.
>>>
>>> The costs would be small. From memory, it's something like this:

>>> 2. Shared Hosting: ~$70.00