Wanted: New home for CSL Editor

Steve Ridout-2
Hello everyone,

Continuing the earlier discussion started by Carles, I think it would
be great for the CSL editor currently at steveridout.com/csl to move
home to csleditor.citationstyles.org. To make this easy, I've removed
the php dependency of the CSL editor site so it can be hosted on
github pages.

What this means:
- Hosting is now free, in terms of money and admin hassle, by hosting
it via github at any subdomain, e.g. csleditor.citationstyles.org.
It's super-simple to set up, all you'd need to do is add a CNAME
record and alter the CNAME text file in the repo.
- Deploying is simple. Just commit the built version to the gh-pages
branch in github. (contact myself or Carles if you'd like to be a
member of the citation-style-editor github organisation)

My hope is that this new setup will make it more attractive for other
developers to get involved.

If you agree, whoever is responsible for administrating the
citationstyles.org domain (Dan Stillman?), please get in touch with me
personally and we can set things up. I can set up redirects from the
steveridout.com/csl to pages so the old links will still work.

Regards,
Steve

PS: In case anyone is curious how much use the site is getting, here
are the numbers from last month, Oct 27th - Nov 26th:

Visits: 2,001
Unique Visitors: 957
Pageviews: 6,957
Pages / Visit: 3.48
Avg. Visit Duration:00:06:58
Bounce Rate: 52.32%
% New Visits: 41.93%

Re: Wanted: New home for CSL Editor

Bruce D'Arcus-3
+1.

So is the current editor instance served via github pages?

The instance at steveridout.com/csl is still the old one, but there's a test version at csleditor.steveridout.com being served by github pages now. Don't share this address with users though since it will disappear when/if it moves to citationstyles.org

On Nov 27, 2012 8:16 PM, "Bruce D'Arcus" <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1.

So is the current editor instance served via github pages?

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Steve Ridout <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Continuing the earlier discussion started by Carles, I think it would
> be great for the CSL editor currently at steveridout.com/csl to move
> home to csleditor.citationstyles.org. To make this easy, I've removed
> the php dependency of the CSL editor site so it can be hosted on
> github pages.
>
> What this means:
> - Hosting is now free, in terms of money and admin hassle, by hosting
> it via github at any subdomain, e.g. csleditor.citationstyles.org.
> It's super-simple to set up, all you'd need to do is add a CNAME
> record and alter the CNAME text file in the repo.
> - Deploying is simple. Just commit the built version to the gh-pages
> branch in github. (contact myself or Carles if you'd like to be a
> member of the citation-style-editor github organisation)
>
> My hope is that this new setup will make it more attractive for other
> developers to get involved.
>
> If you agree, whoever is responsible for administrating the
> citationstyles.org domain (Dan Stillman?), please get in touch with me
> personally and we can set things up. I can set up redirects from the
> steveridout.com/csl to pages so the old links will still work.
>
> Regards,
> Steve
>
> PS: In case anyone is curious how much use the site is getting, here
> are the numbers from last month, Oct 27th - Nov 26th:
>
> Visits: 2,001
> Unique Visitors: 957
> Pageviews: 6,957
> Pages / Visit: 3.48
> Avg. Visit Duration:00:06:58
> Bounce Rate: 52.32%
> % New Visits: 41.93%

Re: Wanted: New home for CSL Editor

Charles Parnot
This seems like a no brainer. It's quite fantastic what github can do!

On Nov 27, 2012, at 8:39 PM, Steve Ridout <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The instance at steveridout.com/csl is still the old one, but there's a test version at csleditor.steveridout.com being served by github pages now. Don't share this address with users though since it will disappear when/if it moves to citationstyles.org
>
> On Nov 27, 2012 8:16 PM, "Bruce D'Arcus" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> +1.
>
> So is the current editor instance served via github pages?
>
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Steve Ridout <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > Continuing the earlier discussion started by Carles, I think it would
> > be great for the CSL editor currently at steveridout.com/csl to move
> > home to csleditor.citationstyles.org. To make this easy, I've removed
> > the php dependency of the CSL editor site so it can be hosted on
> > github pages.
> >
> > What this means:
> > - Hosting is now free, in terms of money and admin hassle, by hosting
> > it via github at any subdomain, e.g. csleditor.citationstyles.org.
> > It's super-simple to set up, all you'd need to do is add a CNAME
> > record and alter the CNAME text file in the repo.
> > - Deploying is simple. Just commit the built version to the gh-pages
> > branch in github. (contact myself or Carles if you'd like to be a
> > member of the citation-style-editor github organisation)
> >
> > My hope is that this new setup will make it more attractive for other
> > developers to get involved.
> >
> > If you agree, whoever is responsible for administrating the
> > citationstyles.org domain (Dan Stillman?), please get in touch with me
> > personally and we can set things up. I can set up redirects from the
> > steveridout.com/csl to pages so the old links will still work.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Steve
> >
> > PS: In case anyone is curious how much use the site is getting, here
> > are the numbers from last month, Oct 27th - Nov 26th:
> >
> > Visits: 2,001
> > Unique Visitors: 957
> > Pageviews: 6,957
> > Pages / Visit: 3.48
> > Avg. Visit Duration:00:06:58
> > Bounce Rate: 52.32%
> > % New Visits: 41.93%

Re: Wanted: New home for CSL Editor

Dan Stillman
On 11/27/12 10:37 AM, Steve Ridout wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Continuing the earlier discussion started by Carles, I think it would
> be great for the CSL editor currently at steveridout.com/csl to move
> home to csleditor.citationstyles.org. To make this easy, I've removed
> the php dependency of the CSL editor site so it can be hosted on
> github pages.
>
> What this means:
> - Hosting is now free, in terms of money and admin hassle, by hosting
> it via github at any subdomain, e.g. csleditor.citationstyles.org.
> It's super-simple to set up, all you'd need to do is add a CNAME
> record and alter the CNAME text file in the repo.
> - Deploying is simple. Just commit the built version to the gh-pages
> branch in github. (contact myself or Carles if you'd like to be a
> member of the citation-style-editor github organisation)
>
> My hope is that this new setup will make it more attractive for other
> developers to get involved.
>
> If you agree, whoever is responsible for administrating the
> citationstyles.org domain (Dan Stillman?), please get in touch with me
> personally and we can set things up. I can set up redirects from the
> steveridout.com/csl to pages so the old links will still work.

This is great, and sorry for the lack of response from our end earlier.
The PHP dependency was indeed the main impediment—hosting externally
maintained server-side code in citationstyles.org's current location was
problematic from a security perspective. Having it served straight from
a GitHub branch is fantastic.

Steve, I've sent you an e-mail separately regarding the CNAME setup.

- Dan

Re: Wanted: New home for CSL Editor

Steve Ridout-2
Dan and I are having trouble deciding on the best subdomain name to
use, here are some options:

csleditor.citationstyles.org
editor.citationstyles.org
edit.citationstyles.org
searchandedit.citationstyles.org

The site also allows searching so maybe the last one is the most
appropriate, but a bit long.

Opinions please!

On 28 November 2012 09:45, Dan Stillman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/27/12 10:37 AM, Steve Ridout wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> Continuing the earlier discussion started by Carles, I think it would
>> be great for the CSL editor currently at steveridout.com/csl to move
>> home to csleditor.citationstyles.org. To make this easy, I've removed
>> the php dependency of the CSL editor site so it can be hosted on
>> github pages.
>>
>> What this means:
>> - Hosting is now free, in terms of money and admin hassle, by hosting
>> it via github at any subdomain, e.g. csleditor.citationstyles.org.
>> It's super-simple to set up, all you'd need to do is add a CNAME
>> record and alter the CNAME text file in the repo.
>> - Deploying is simple. Just commit the built version to the gh-pages
>> branch in github. (contact myself or Carles if you'd like to be a
>> member of the citation-style-editor github organisation)
>>
>> My hope is that this new setup will make it more attractive for other
>> developers to get involved.
>>
>> If you agree, whoever is responsible for administrating the
>> citationstyles.org domain (Dan Stillman?), please get in touch with me
>> personally and we can set things up. I can set up redirects from the
>> steveridout.com/csl to pages so the old links will still work.
>
> This is great, and sorry for the lack of response from our end earlier.
> The PHP dependency was indeed the main impediment—hosting externally
> maintained server-side code in citationstyles.org's current location was
> problematic from a security perspective. Having it served straight from
> a GitHub branch is fantastic.
>
> Steve, I've sent you an e-mail separately regarding the CNAME setup.
>
> - Dan

Re: Wanted: New home for CSL Editor

Joeran Beel
I would go for http://editor.citationstyles.org - it's short and sufficiently meaningful.

best
joeran

--
Joeran Beel
Management & Research

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 10:38 AM, Steve Ridout <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dan and I are having trouble deciding on the best subdomain name to
use, here are some options:

csleditor.citationstyles.org
editor.citationstyles.org
edit.citationstyles.org
searchandedit.citationstyles.org

The site also allows searching so maybe the last one is the most
appropriate, but a bit long.

Opinions please!

On 28 November 2012 09:45, Dan Stillman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 11/27/12 10:37 AM, Steve Ridout wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> Continuing the earlier discussion started by Carles, I think it would
>> be great for the CSL editor currently at steveridout.com/csl to move
>> home to csleditor.citationstyles.org. To make this easy, I've removed
>> the php dependency of the CSL editor site so it can be hosted on
>> github pages.
>>
>> What this means:
>> - Hosting is now free, in terms of money and admin hassle, by hosting
>> it via github at any subdomain, e.g. csleditor.citationstyles.org.
>> It's super-simple to set up, all you'd need to do is add a CNAME
>> record and alter the CNAME text file in the repo.
>> - Deploying is simple. Just commit the built version to the gh-pages
>> branch in github. (contact myself or Carles if you'd like to be a
>> member of the citation-style-editor github organisation)
>>
>> My hope is that this new setup will make it more attractive for other
>> developers to get involved.
>>
>> If you agree, whoever is responsible for administrating the
>> citationstyles.org domain (Dan Stillman?), please get in touch with me
>> personally and we can set things up. I can set up redirects from the
>> steveridout.com/csl to pages so the old links will still work.
>
> This is great, and sorry for the lack of response from our end earlier.
> The PHP dependency was indeed the main impediment—hosting externally
> maintained server-side code in citationstyles.org's current location was
> problematic from a security perspective. Having it served straight from
> a GitHub branch is fantastic.
>
> Steve, I've sent you an e-mail separately regarding the CNAME setup.
>
> - Dan

Re: Wanted: New home for CSL Editor

Carles Pina

"There are two hard things in computer science: cache invalidation,
naming things, and off-by-one errors."
( http://martinfowler.com/bliki/TwoHardThings.html )

Ok, let's tackle naming things...

On 28 November 2012 09:38, Steve Ridout <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dan and I are having trouble deciding on the best subdomain name to
> use, here are some options:
>
> csleditor.citationstyles.org
> editor.citationstyles.org
> edit.citationstyles.org
> searchandedit.citationstyles.org

I like editor.citationstyles.org

> The site also allows searching so maybe the last one is the most
> appropriate, but a bit long.
>
> Opinions please!
>
> On 28 November 2012 09:45, Dan Stillman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 11/27/12 10:37 AM, Steve Ridout wrote:
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> Continuing the earlier discussion started by Carles, I think it would
>>> be great for the CSL editor currently at steveridout.com/csl to move
>>> home to csleditor.citationstyles.org. To make this easy, I've removed
>>> the php dependency of the CSL editor site so it can be hosted on
>>> github pages.
>>>
>>> What this means:
>>> - Hosting is now free, in terms of money and admin hassle, by hosting
>>> it via github at any subdomain, e.g. csleditor.citationstyles.org.
>>> It's super-simple to set up, all you'd need to do is add a CNAME
>>> record and alter the CNAME text file in the repo.
>>> - Deploying is simple. Just commit the built version to the gh-pages
>>> branch in github. (contact myself or Carles if you'd like to be a
>>> member of the citation-style-editor github organisation)
>>>
>>> My hope is that this new setup will make it more attractive for other
>>> developers to get involved.
>>>
>>> If you agree, whoever is responsible for administrating the
>>> citationstyles.org domain (Dan Stillman?), please get in touch with me
>>> personally and we can set things up. I can set up redirects from the
>>> steveridout.com/csl to pages so the old links will still work.
>>
>> This is great, and sorry for the lack of response from our end earlier.
>> The PHP dependency was indeed the main impediment—hosting externally
>> maintained server-side code in citationstyles.org's current location was
>> problematic from a security perspective. Having it served straight from
>> a GitHub branch is fantastic.
>>
>> Steve, I've sent you an e-mail separately regarding the CNAME setup.
>>
>> - Dan

Carles Pina | Software Engineer
http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/

My vote also goes to http://editor.citationstyles.org

On Nov 28, 2012, at 10:51 AM, Carles Pina <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> "There are two hard things in computer science: cache invalidation,
> naming things, and off-by-one errors."
> ( http://martinfowler.com/bliki/TwoHardThings.html )
>
> Ok, let's tackle naming things...
>
> On 28 November 2012 09:38, Steve Ridout <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dan and I are having trouble deciding on the best subdomain name to
>> use, here are some options:
>>
>> csleditor.citationstyles.org
>> editor.citationstyles.org
>> edit.citationstyles.org
>> searchandedit.citationstyles.org
>
> I like editor.citationstyles.org
>

>> The site also allows searching so maybe the last one is the most
>> appropriate, but a bit long.
>>
>> Opinions please!

>>> This is great, and sorry for the lack of response from our end earlier.
>>> The PHP dependency was indeed the main impediment—hosting externally
>>> maintained server-side code in citationstyles.org's current location was
>>> problematic from a security perspective. Having it served straight from
>>> a GitHub branch is fantastic.
>>>
>>> Steve, I've sent you an e-mail separately regarding the CNAME setup.
>>>
>>> - Dan

> Carles Pina | Software Engineer
> http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/
>
> Mendeley Limited | London, UK | www.mendeley.com
> Registered in England and Wales | Company Number 6419015

Re: Wanted: New home for CSL Editor

Steve Ridout-2
Although there are only three votes I sensed a consensus forming so
I've gone ahead and put it at http://editor.citationstyles.org, try it
out, it works!

On 28 November 2012 11:06, Charles Parnot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My vote also goes to http://editor.citationstyles.org
>

>> The site also allows searching so maybe the last one is the most
>> appropriate, but a bit long.
>>
>> Opinions please!

>>> This is great, and sorry for the lack of response from our end earlier.
>>> The PHP dependency was indeed the main impediment—hosting externally
>>> maintained server-side code in citationstyles.org's current location was
>>> problematic from a security perspective. Having it served straight from
>>> a GitHub branch is fantastic.
>>>
>>> Steve, I've sent you an e-mail separately regarding the CNAME setup.
>>>
>>> - Dan

> On Nov 28, 2012, at 10:51 AM, Carles Pina <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> "There are two hard things in computer science: cache invalidation,
>> naming things, and off-by-one errors."
>> ( http://martinfowler.com/bliki/TwoHardThings.html )
>>
>> Ok, let's tackle naming things...
>>
>> On 28 November 2012 09:38, Steve Ridout <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Dan and I are having trouble deciding on the best subdomain name to
>>> use, here are some options:
>>>
>>> csleditor.citationstyles.org
>>> editor.citationstyles.org
>>> edit.citationstyles.org
>>> searchandedit.citationstyles.org
>>
>> I like editor.citationstyles.org
>>

>>> The site also allows searching so maybe the last one is the most
>>> appropriate, but a bit long.

>> Carles Pina | Software Engineer
>> http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/
>>
>> Mendeley Limited | London, UK | www.mendeley.com
>> Registered in England and Wales | Company Number 6419015

> Charles Parnot
> [hidden email]
> twitter: @cparnot
> http://mekentosj.com

Re: Wanted: New home for CSL Editor

Bruce D'Arcus-3
Great; thanks everyone!

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 3:45 AM, Dan Stillman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is great, and sorry for the lack of response from our end earlier.
> The PHP dependency was indeed the main impediment—hosting externally
> maintained server-side code in citationstyles.org's current location was
> problematic from a security perspective. Having it served straight from
> a GitHub branch is fantastic.

Dan, Steve, would it be possible to similarly host the (Zotero) Style
Repository at an address like repository.citationstyles.org (or
styles.citationstyles.org ) and run the code
(https://github.com/zotero/styles-repo) from GitHub?

Re: Wanted: New home for CSL Editor

Bruce D'Arcus-3
http://editor.citationstyles.org/about/

;-)

On 7 December 2012 16:38, Rintze Zelle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 3:45 AM, Dan Stillman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> This is great, and sorry for the lack of response from our end earlier.
>> The PHP dependency was indeed the main impediment—hosting externally
>> maintained server-side code in citationstyles.org's current location was
>> problematic from a security perspective. Having it served straight from
>> a GitHub branch is fantastic.
>
> Dan, Steve, would it be possible to similarly host the (Zotero) Style
> Repository at an address like repository.citationstyles.org (or
> styles.citationstyles.org ) and run the code
> (https://github.com/zotero/styles-repo) from GitHub?

that repo has php, github pages doesn't do php -only static. I haven't
looked if it's possible or how easy is to adapt styles-repo to use
only html and javascript without php.

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Carles Pina <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 7 December 2012 16:38, Rintze Zelle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 3:45 AM, Dan Stillman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> This is great, and sorry for the lack of response from our end earlier.
>>> The PHP dependency was indeed the main impediment—hosting externally
>>> maintained server-side code in citationstyles.org's current location was
>>> problematic from a security perspective. Having it served straight from
>>> a GitHub branch is fantastic.
>>
>> Dan, Steve, would it be possible to similarly host the (Zotero) Style
>> Repository at an address like repository.citationstyles.org (or
>> styles.citationstyles.org ) and run the code
>> (https://github.com/zotero/styles-repo) from GitHub?
>
> that repo has php, github pages doesn't do php -only static. I haven't
> looked if it's possible or how easy is to adapt styles-repo to use
> only html and javascript without php.

Revisiting this, could we simply host styles from the
citationstyles.org domain, without having a copy of the Zotero Style
Repository scripts running on the citationstyles.org server? Can we
rely on GitHub for this (while serving the styles with the appropriate
MIME-type)? I really would like to move away from the current
"self"-link prefix "http://www.zotero.org/styles/" to something like
"http://citationstyles.org/style/". There is ongoing confusion among
users about Zotero's role in maintaining the CSL repository (e.g.
https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/31542/reporting-style-errors/ ),
and the current "self" links hurt CSL's ability to profile itself as
an independent project, which doesn't do anybody any service.