abbreviation lists

Sebastian Karcher
Dear all,
Rintze and I are planning to include abbreviations lists in JSON format on a repository in the citation-style-language github. These would work with citeproc-js and presumably other implementations can easily adjusted to take advantage of them, too.
For Zotero, the current way to use these would be through Frank's abbreviation plugin, for Mendeley I believe there is a working hack, linked to from here; http://feedback.mendeley.com/forums/4941-general/suggestions/83173-journal-abbreviations?page=2&per_page=20 (but with a non-working link...)

IIRC, Mendeley has a couple of lists on dropbox linked to from that thread. Could we use those? Are any of you aware of any licensing issues? I believe the NLM published list is explicitly public domain, how about others like ISO or Chemical Abstracts?

Happy new year!

Re: abbreviation lists

fbennett
This is great to see. Thanks!

On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 8:44 PM, Sebastian Karcher
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
> Rintze and I are planning to include abbreviations lists in JSON format on a
> repository in the citation-style-language github. These would work with
> citeproc-js and presumably other implementations can easily adjusted to take
> advantage of them, too.
> For Zotero, the current way to use these would be through Frank's
> abbreviation plugin, for Mendeley I believe there is a working hack, linked
> to from here;
> http://feedback.mendeley.com/forums/4941-general/suggestions/83173-journal-abbreviations?page=2&per_page=20
> (but with a non-working link...)
>
> IIRC, Mendeley has a couple of lists on dropbox linked to from that thread.
> Could we use those? Are any of you aware of any licensing issues? I believe
> the NLM published list is explicitly public domain, how about others like
> ISO or Chemical Abstracts?
>
> Happy new year!
> Sebastian

Re: abbreviation lists

Robert Knight
Hello,

> Rintze and I are planning to include abbreviations lists in JSON format on a repository in the citation-style-language github.

Thank-you for doing this.  It is much appreciated.  Is this a simple
(full name -> abbreviation) mapping or do you plan to include any
other information?

> IIRC, Mendeley has a couple of lists on dropbox linked to from that thread. Could we use those? Are any of you aware of any licensing issues?

I'm afraid I haven't looked into the provenance/licensing of those
lists.  I suspect the users who provided them didn't either.  In the
case of CAS, I believe these abbreviations are derived automatically
from the list of word mappings at
http://www.cas.org/content/cas-standard-abbreviations#listinga , in
turn many of those are derived from the ISSN title word abbreviation
list (see http://www.library.illinois.edu/biotech/j-abbrev.html)

> (but with a non-working link...)

Will look into this.

Regards,
Rob.

On 31 December 2012 11:44, Sebastian Karcher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> IIRC, Mendeley has a couple of lists on dropbox linked to from that thread.
> Could we use those? Are any of you aware of any licensing issues?

Re: abbreviation lists

Sebastian Karcher
Thanks Rob,
currently we're just planning title-->abbreviations, which seems by far the most important issue to solve, though as you know, citeproc-js is already able to process more complex things like abbreviating institutions etc., which Frank uses in his MLZ. There are some issues with this that will need fine-tuning as we implement this more broadly, e.g. dealing with articles, capitalization etc. - but that still seems like the easiest way to go.

Thanks for the info on CAS etc. - those lists sound rather proprietary, as does ISSN and journalseek, both of whom sell their data. IANAL, but it seems to me like we should be able to derive the lists ourselves, but we'd need a comprehensive list of journal names to start from.

Sebastian

On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 2:15 PM, Robert Knight <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

> Rintze and I are planning to include abbreviations lists in JSON format on a repository in the citation-style-language github.

Thank-you for doing this.  It is much appreciated.  Is this a simple
(full name -> abbreviation) mapping or do you plan to include any
other information?

> IIRC, Mendeley has a couple of lists on dropbox linked to from that thread. Could we use those? Are any of you aware of any licensing issues?

I'm afraid I haven't looked into the provenance/licensing of those
lists.  I suspect the users who provided them didn't either.  In the
case of CAS, I believe these abbreviations are derived automatically
from the list of word mappings at
http://www.cas.org/content/cas-standard-abbreviations#listinga , in
turn many of those are derived from the ISSN title word abbreviation
list (see http://www.library.illinois.edu/biotech/j-abbrev.html)

> (but with a non-working link...)

Will look into this.

Regards,
Rob.

On 31 December 2012 11:44, Sebastian Karcher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> IIRC, Mendeley has a couple of lists on dropbox linked to from that thread.
> Could we use those? Are any of you aware of any licensing issues?

Re: abbreviation lists

There is now a repo at https://github.com/citation-style-language/abbreviations