another example

Bruce D'Arcus
Hmm ... need to figure out this one at some point; posted to the ConTeXt
list earlier. Not exactly sure how to deal with this one.

I'm leaning towards experimenting with the bib module to see if I can
arrive at a usable "Semiotics Society of America" reference section,
which is a historically layered style, along the lines of:

---

PEIRCE, Charles S.
1859. "An Essay on the Limits of Religious Thought Written to Prove That
We Can Reason Upon the Nature of God", MS 53, in W1:37-40
1982. Writings of Charles S. Peirce: a Chronological Edition, ed. Max Fisch,
Peirce Edition Project. Five volumes. (Bloomington: Indiana University
Press, 1982-98).

TEILHARD de Chardin, Pr. P.
1961. (posthumously). Hymn of the Universe (New York: Harper & Row
Torchbooks, English Edition, 1965).
1957. (posthumously). The Divine Milieu (New York: Harper & Row Colophon
Books Edition, 1968).

---

Aside from all the niggling details (which I'm sure could be worked
out), is this kind of layout in general possible—all citations going by
year underneath a single instance of the author? …or am I doomed to
forever make these by hand? ;)

Re: another example

James Howison
((Aside, Bruce, a nudge about 'reply-to-list'))

On Mar 23, 2005, at 3:49 PM, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> Hmm ... need to figure out this one at some point; posted to the
> ConTeXt list earlier. Not exactly sure how to deal with this one.
>
> I'm leaning towards experimenting with the bib module to see if I can
> arrive at a usable "Semiotics Society of America" reference section,
> which is a historically layered style, along the lines of:
>
> ---
>
> PEIRCE, Charles S.
> 1859. "An Essay on the Limits of Religious Thought Written to Prove
> That We Can Reason Upon the Nature of God", MS 53, in W1:37-40
> 1982. Writings of Charles S. Peirce: a Chronological Edition, ed. Max
> Fisch,
> Peirce Edition Project. Five volumes. (Bloomington: Indiana University
> Press, 1982-98).
>
> TEILHARD de Chardin, Pr. P.
> 1961. (posthumously). Hymn of the Universe (New York: Harper & Row
> Torchbooks, English Edition, 1965).
> 1957. (posthumously). The Divine Milieu (New York: Harper & Row
> Colophon
> Books Edition, 1968).
>
> ---
>
> Aside from all the niggling details (which I'm sure could be worked
> out), is this kind of layout in general possible—all citations going
> by year underneath a single instance of the author? …or am I doomed to
> forever make these by hand? ;)

Bruce, is this your comment, or the person that posted to the ConTeXt
list?  Such an output seems not to pose enormous problems, it is
similar to that needed for an annotated bibliography or a publications
list.

--James
+1 315 395 4056
Details: <http://freelancepropaganda.com/jameshowison.vcf>

Re: another example

James Howison
On Mar 23, 2005, at 4:27 PM, James Howison wrote:

>>  <snip>
>>
>> Aside from all the niggling details (which I'm sure could be worked
>> out), is this kind of layout in general possible—all citations going
>> by year underneath a single instance of the author? …or am I doomed
>> to forever make these by hand? ;)
>
> Bruce, is this your comment, or the person that posted to the ConTeXt
> list?  Such an output seems not to pose enormous problems, it is
> similar to that needed for an annotated bibliography or a publications
> list.

Actually that didn't come out right.  What I meant was that it is
worthwhile more generally looking at this form, not that it was
easy---I haven't tried it!  Things always look easy until you try (and
often after you've finished too).

James Howison wrote:
> ((Aside, Bruce, a nudge about 'reply-to-list'))

Thank James; I just changed the setting.

> Bruce, is this your comment, or the person that posted to the ConTeXt
> list?

The latter.

> Such an output seems not to pose enormous problems, it is similar
> to that needed for an annotated bibliography or a publications list.

The difference is that the author is only printed -- on one line -- for
the first of a group of author references.  So you need to think about
it a a grouping problem; e.g.:

<group by="creator">

So am thinking about something like:

Group = element group {
        attribute by { "creator" | "reftype" | "uncited" },
}

Re: another example

James Howison
On Mar 23, 2005, at 4:37 PM, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> James Howison wrote:
>> ((Aside, Bruce, a nudge about 'reply-to-list'))
>
> Thank James; I just changed the setting.
>
>> Bruce, is this your comment, or the person that posted to the ConTeXt
>> list?
>
> The latter.
>
>> Such an output seems not to pose enormous problems, it is similar to
>> that needed for an annotated bibliography or a publications list.
>
> The difference is that the author is only printed -- on one line --
> for the first of a group of author references.  So you need to think
> about it a a grouping problem; e.g.:
>
> <group by="creator">
>
> So am thinking about something like:
>
> Group = element group {
> attribute by { "creator" | "reftype" | "uncited" },
> }

Makes sense.  I think that would be very useful.  The standard
publication list is something like

group by reftype, within category sort by reverse chronological order

then we'd need to specify a sort order for reftypes too. and the
ability to merge different types into composite categories.

Looks something like this

Journal articles

Conference Papers

Book Chapters and Workshop papers

Presentations and miscellaneous

In a perfect world we'd also be able to store and print, quality
information for Journals.  eg A list, B list C list and/or acceptance
rates.  Things like job applications, annual reviews and tenure cases
need lists like these.  Normally they go in special annotations but if
there were fields for them then we could group and sort on those
categories too.

Any provision for that in MODS?  I guess they would be characteristics
of the container objects mostly.

James Howison wrote:

> Makes sense.  I think that would be very useful.  The standard
> publication list is something like
>
> group by reftype, within category sort by reverse chronological order
>
> then we'd need to specify a sort order for reftypes too. and the ability
> to merge different types into composite categories.
>
> Looks something like this
>
> Journal articles
>
> Conference Papers
>
> Book Chapters and Workshop papers
>
> Presentations and miscellaneous

I had in mind:

<bibliography>
   <group>
     <title>Book Chapters and Workshop Papers</title>
     <reftype name="chapter">
     </reftype>
     <reftype name="working paper">
     </reftype>
   </group>
     <reftype name="article">
     </reftype>
</bibliography>

That work?

> In a perfect world we'd also be able to store and print, quality
> information for Journals.  eg A list, B list C list and/or acceptance
> rates.  Things like job applications, annual reviews and tenure cases
> need lists like these.  Normally they go in special annotations but if
> there were fields for them then we could group and sort on those
> categories too.
>
> Any provision for that in MODS?  I guess they would be characteristics
> of the container objects mostly.

I'm not sure about this.  I need to think about it more when the world
is more clear!

Bruce