citeproc-js npm package

Michel Krämer
Dear list,

I'd like to follow up on this issue:
https://bitbucket.org/fbennett/citeproc-js/issue/120/create-npm-package-for-nodejs

In one of my previous projects I needed to run citeproc-js in Node.js. I
tried citeproc-node but it was a bit too much overhead. I wanted to call
citeproc-js directly without needing to start a web server. Also
citeproc-node is not available in the npm registry and even if it was it
would not fit node's philosophy of small kernels of functionality.

So, I created a very small npm package containing only citeproc.js and
csl_nodejs_jsdom.js from citeproc-node. It works really well and fits
perfectly in the nodejs world.

I wonder if it would be worthwile pushing this package to the npm
registry, so that everyone can use it. I would be able to maintain the
package and keep it up to date, but of course I understand this is for
you to decide.

Cheers,
Michel

Re: citeproc-js npm package

Robert Knight
> I would be able to maintain the package and keep it up to date,
> but of course I understand this is for you to decide.

Does citeproc have integration with Travis or other CI systems that
could be used to publish to npm automatically?

On 27 January 2015 at 06:29, Michel Krämer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I'd like to follow up on this issue:
> https://bitbucket.org/fbennett/citeproc-js/issue/120/create-npm-package-for-nodejs
>
> In one of my previous projects I needed to run citeproc-js in Node.js. I
> tried citeproc-node but it was a bit too much overhead. I wanted to call
> citeproc-js directly without needing to start a web server. Also
> citeproc-node is not available in the npm registry and even if it was it
> would not fit node's philosophy of small kernels of functionality.
>
> So, I created a very small npm package containing only citeproc.js and
> csl_nodejs_jsdom.js from citeproc-node. It works really well and fits
> perfectly in the nodejs world.
>
> I wonder if it would be worthwile pushing this package to the npm
> registry, so that everyone can use it. I would be able to maintain the
> package and keep it up to date, but of course I understand this is for
> you to decide.
>
> Cheers,
> Michel

Re: citeproc-js npm package

fbennett
It doesn't at the moment.

The actual processor test suite for citeproc-js is a cumbersome thing
that I run offline, but I suppose Travis could be used for the limited
purpose of pushing a tagged release to npm. I don't have any
experience with setting up Travis, though, so if it's left to me, it
will probably be awhile before I get around to it ...

Frank

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 7:03 PM, Robert Knight
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I would be able to maintain the package and keep it up to date,
>> but of course I understand this is for you to decide.
>
> Does citeproc have integration with Travis or other CI systems that
> could be used to publish to npm automatically?
>
> On 27 January 2015 at 06:29, Michel Krämer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dear list,
>>
>> I'd like to follow up on this issue:
>> https://bitbucket.org/fbennett/citeproc-js/issue/120/create-npm-package-for-nodejs
>>
>> In one of my previous projects I needed to run citeproc-js in Node.js. I
>> tried citeproc-node but it was a bit too much overhead. I wanted to call
>> citeproc-js directly without needing to start a web server. Also
>> citeproc-node is not available in the npm registry and even if it was it
>> would not fit node's philosophy of small kernels of functionality.
>>
>> So, I created a very small npm package containing only citeproc.js and
>> csl_nodejs_jsdom.js from citeproc-node. It works really well and fits
>> perfectly in the nodejs world.
>>
>> I wonder if it would be worthwile pushing this package to the npm
>> registry, so that everyone can use it. I would be able to maintain the
>> package and keep it up to date, but of course I understand this is for
>> you to decide.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Michel

Re: citeproc-js npm package

Michel Krämer-3
As far as I know, in order to publish to the npm registry you need to
have a valid username and a password. Performing this process
automatically would require you to store the password in the source
repository or somewhere else. I'm not sure if Travis offers some kind of
a credentials store to handle such cases, but I doubt they do.

On the other hand, publishing to the registry is just one command, so I
don't see the benefits of automating it. However, I see the benefits of
running the test suite automatically. Maybe these things should be
treated separately.

Cheers,
Michel

On 27.01.2015 11:11, Frank Bennett wrote:

> It doesn't at the moment.
>
> The actual processor test suite for citeproc-js is a cumbersome thing
> that I run offline, but I suppose Travis could be used for the limited
> purpose of pushing a tagged release to npm. I don't have any
> experience with setting up Travis, though, so if it's left to me, it
> will probably be awhile before I get around to it ...
>
> Frank
>

> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 7:03 PM, Robert Knight
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I would be able to maintain the package and keep it up to date,
>>> but of course I understand this is for you to decide.
>>
>> Does citeproc have integration with Travis or other CI systems that
>> could be used to publish to npm automatically?
>>
>> On 27 January 2015 at 06:29, Michel Krämer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Dear list,
>>>
>>> I'd like to follow up on this issue:
>>> https://bitbucket.org/fbennett/citeproc-js/issue/120/create-npm-package-for-nodejs
>>>
>>> In one of my previous projects I needed to run citeproc-js in Node.js. I
>>> tried citeproc-node but it was a bit too much overhead. I wanted to call
>>> citeproc-js directly without needing to start a web server. Also
>>> citeproc-node is not available in the npm registry and even if it was it
>>> would not fit node's philosophy of small kernels of functionality.
>>>
>>> So, I created a very small npm package containing only citeproc.js and
>>> csl_nodejs_jsdom.js from citeproc-node. It works really well and fits
>>> perfectly in the nodejs world.
>>>
>>> I wonder if it would be worthwile pushing this package to the npm
>>> registry, so that everyone can use it. I would be able to maintain the
>>> package and keep it up to date, but of course I understand this is for
>>> you to decide.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Michel

Michel Krämer, M.Sc.
Deputy Head of Competence Center
Spatial Information Management

Fraunhofer Institute for Computer Graphics Research IGD
Fraunhoferstr. 5  |  64283 Darmstadt  |  Germany
Tel +49 6151 155-415  |  Fax +49 6151 155-444
[hidden email]  |  www.igd.fraunhofer.de

Re: citeproc-js npm package

Michel Krämer-3
Just an additional thought, Frank. If you could describe what these
'cumbersome' things are that you need to perform to run the test suite I
may be able to help you automate it with Travis. What do you think?

Cheers,
Michel

On 27.01.2015 11:11, Frank Bennett wrote:

> It doesn't at the moment.
>
> The actual processor test suite for citeproc-js is a cumbersome thing
> that I run offline, but I suppose Travis could be used for the limited
> purpose of pushing a tagged release to npm. I don't have any
> experience with setting up Travis, though, so if it's left to me, it
> will probably be awhile before I get around to it ...
>
> Frank
>

> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 7:03 PM, Robert Knight
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I would be able to maintain the package and keep it up to date,
>>> but of course I understand this is for you to decide.
>>
>> Does citeproc have integration with Travis or other CI systems that
>> could be used to publish to npm automatically?
>>
>> On 27 January 2015 at 06:29, Michel Krämer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Dear list,
>>>
>>> I'd like to follow up on this issue:
>>> https://bitbucket.org/fbennett/citeproc-js/issue/120/create-npm-package-for-nodejs
>>>
>>> In one of my previous projects I needed to run citeproc-js in Node.js. I
>>> tried citeproc-node but it was a bit too much overhead. I wanted to call
>>> citeproc-js directly without needing to start a web server. Also
>>> citeproc-node is not available in the npm registry and even if it was it
>>> would not fit node's philosophy of small kernels of functionality.
>>>
>>> So, I created a very small npm package containing only citeproc.js and
>>> csl_nodejs_jsdom.js from citeproc-node. It works really well and fits
>>> perfectly in the nodejs world.
>>>
>>> I wonder if it would be worthwile pushing this package to the npm
>>> registry, so that everyone can use it. I would be able to maintain the
>>> package and keep it up to date, but of course I understand this is for
>>> you to decide.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Michel

Michel Krämer, M.Sc.
Deputy Head of Competence Center
Spatial Information Management

Fraunhofer Institute for Computer Graphics Research IGD
Fraunhoferstr. 5  |  64283 Darmstadt  |  Germany
Tel +49 6151 155-415  |  Fax +49 6151 155-444
[hidden email]  |  www.igd.fraunhofer.de

Re: citeproc-js npm package

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 11:28 AM, Michel Krämer
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> As far as I know, in order to publish to the npm registry you need to
> have a valid username and a password. Performing this process
> automatically would require you to store the password in the source
> repository or somewhere else. I'm not sure if Travis offers some kind of
> a credentials store to handle such cases, but I doubt they do.

See http://docs.travis-ci.com/user/deployment/npm/

Re: citeproc-js npm package

Michel Krämer
Thanks, Ritze. I wasn't aware about this site. So you can generate an
API key for the npm registry and this key can be encrypted by Travis.
That's great news.

Cheers,
Michel

Am 27.01.2015 um 17:36 schrieb Rintze Zelle:

> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 11:28 AM, Michel Krämer
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> As far as I know, in order to publish to the npm registry you need to
>> have a valid username and a password. Performing this process
>> automatically would require you to store the password in the source
>> repository or somewhere else. I'm not sure if Travis offers some kind of
>> a credentials store to handle such cases, but I doubt they do.
>
> See http://docs.travis-ci.com/user/deployment/npm/

Re: citeproc-js npm package

Robert Knight
> So you can generate an
> API key for the npm registry and this key can be encrypted by Travis.
> That's great news.

Yes, indeed you can. I've got a project on github which automatically
publishes the master branch to npm.
The only part that wasn't conveniently built-in was bumping the
version number on commit.
I wrote a utility that bumps the version number on commit by taking a
'base' version number and using
the number of commits in master as the patch version in package.json -
https://github.com/robertknight/passcards/blob/master/utils/update-manifest-version.js