citeproc-js: unknown attributes now ignored

citeproc-js: unknown attributes now ignored

fbennett
Following the lead of Charles' Papers processor, the latest version of
citeproc-js will log unknown attributes when they are encountered in a
CSL style or locale file, but step past them without error.

Re: citeproc-js: unknown attributes now ignored

Bruce D'Arcus-3
This gets to something I earlier mentioned: that we might want to
include something about conformance and foreign attributes in the
spec. As a possible model (I don't have time to look around for
others), here's one:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#extension-attributes

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 2:34 AM, Frank Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Following the lead of Charles' Papers processor, the latest version of
> citeproc-js will log unknown attributes when they are encountered in a
> CSL style or locale file, but step past them without error.
>
> Frank

Re: citeproc-js: unknown attributes now ignored

Robert Knight
Hello Frank,

What was the previous behavior?

Regards,
Rob.

On 6 August 2012 07:34, Frank Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Following the lead of Charles' Papers processor, the latest version of
> citeproc-js will log unknown attributes when they are encountered in a
> CSL style or locale file, but step past them without error.
>
> Frank

Re: citeproc-js: unknown attributes now ignored

fbennett
On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 8:05 PM, Robert Knight
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello Frank,
>
> What was the previous behavior?

It was just throwing an error, with a string naming the unknown
attribute in the error instance object.

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 7:04 AM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
This gets to something I earlier mentioned: that we might want to
include something about conformance and foreign attributes in the
spec. As a possible model (I don't have time to look around for
others), here's one:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#extension-attributes

Would it be enough to note that any attributes, or any elements (together will all their attributes and child elements) not covered by the CSL schema should be ignored?

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 9:00 AM, Rintze Zelle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 7:04 AM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> This gets to something I earlier mentioned: that we might want to
>> include something about conformance and foreign attributes in the
>> spec. As a possible model (I don't have time to look around for
>> others), here's one:
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#extension-attributes
>

> Would it be enough to note that any attributes, or any elements (together
> will all their attributes and child elements) not covered by the CSL schema
> should be ignored?

I don't know. Elements get complicated. I'll poke around for other
models (maybe RSS or Atom?) when I have time, and we can compare.

But t

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 9:04 AM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 9:00 AM, Rintze Zelle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 7:04 AM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> This gets to something I earlier mentioned: that we might want to
>> include something about conformance and foreign attributes in the
>> spec. As a possible model (I don't have time to look around for
>> others), here's one:
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#extension-attributes
>

> Would it be enough to note that any attributes, or any elements (together
> will all their attributes and child elements) not covered by the CSL schema
> should be ignored?

I don't know. Elements get complicated. I'll poke around for other
models (maybe RSS or Atom?) when I have time, and we can compare.

But t

Yes, but w! (did you mean to write something here?)

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Rintze Zelle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 9:04 AM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 9:00 AM, Rintze Zelle <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>> > Would it be enough to note that any attributes, or any elements
>> > (together
>> > will all their attributes and child elements) not covered by the CSL
>> > schema
>> > should be ignored?
>>
>> I don't know. Elements get complicated. I'll poke around for other
>> models (maybe RSS or Atom?) when I have time, and we can compare.
>

> RSS: http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/rss/rss.html#extendingRss
> Atom: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4287#section-6

Will take a look (as should others); thanks.

>> But t
>

> Yes, but w! (did you mean to write something here?)

Yes, new keyboard.

Was just saying the main point is if we do this it makes the earlier
discussion about style branching easier.

On elements, my concern is stuff like:

<foo:mynewthing>
  <cs:name>
    <foo:bar/>
  </cs:name>
</foo:mynewthing>

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
On elements, my concern is stuff like:

<foo:mynewthing>
  <cs:name>
    <foo:bar/>
  </cs:name>
</foo:mynewthing>

What about it? Is it hard to ignore <foo:mynewthing> and all its contents? (also, if we're concerned about forward compatibility of the CSL processor, it will probably be <cs:mynewthing>, since extensions would take place in the CSL namespace)