configuring grouping

Bruce D'Arcus-3
I've raised this issue a few times before, and have finally gotten
close to something I'm happy with.

Question, then: how to configure reference list grouping in a way that
is flexible but elegant, both from an XML standpoint, and WRT to
implementation in a GUI?

Answer:

Add a cs:groups structure to cs:bibliography. Have that solely be
responsible for configuring grouping and ordering (not layout of the
individual reference entries).

Examples:

1)  Group by creator.

Some styles explicitly group by author (well all author-year styles do,
but they just repeat the author name, or some proxy for it, each entry;
in this case the name is only listed for the first entry).

       <groups>
         <group by="creator">
           <heading type="creator-name"/>
         </group>
       </groups>

Aside: given what I say parenthetically above, perhaps grouping should
not be optional for author-year types? That detail bears more thought.

2)  Group by genre or reference type. This is quite common in the
humanities. The logic would work such that if there was no cs:reftype
child, then this would be assumed the default.

       <groups>
         <group by="reftype">
           <heading type="text">Legal Documents</heading>
           <reftype name="legal case"/>
           <reftype name="bill"/>
         </group>
         <group by="reftype">
           <heading type="text">Newspaper Sources</heading>
           <reftype name="article-newspaper"/>
         </group>
         <group>
           <heading type="text">General References</heading>
         </group>
       </groups>

Might be bit of a PITA to process, but not too bad.

3)  Primary and secondary sources.  This is a tricky one, as David has
made the argument one would need to assign groups in this case.  I am
assuming the formatter can have some generic logic to handle this.
E.g., primary sources do not have publishers, and are not articles?

       <groups>
         <group by="secondary">
           <heading type="text">Secondary Sources</heading>
         </group>
         <group by="primary">
           <heading type="text">Primary Sources</heading>
         </group>
       </groups>

4)  Martha's favorite: see also references; what in BibTeX are called
"noncite."

       <groups>
         <group>
           <heading type="text">References</heading>
         </group>
         <group by="notcited">
           <heading type="text">Additional Sources</heading>
         </group>
       </groups>

Thoughts?  Consider, in particular, how this would all work in a GUI,
or how you would code the processing if you had to write a processor in
your language of choice.

Re: [dev-biblio] configuring grouping

Bruce D'Arcus-3
On Nov 20, 2005, at 4:47 PM, David Wilson wrote:

> I have now just realised that this means that not only do users need
> to be
> able to specify the groupings for the bibliography  (primary and
> secondary,
> and any others) but that user needs to be able to specify which group
> the
> citation belongs to for each paper!

Not following here.  Can you explain?

> Sorry Bruce this seems to make a bit more difficult.

Crap!

OK, but let's see if we can make this as simple as possible. I have
learned through working on citeproc and csl that often one can find
simple solutions to what at first seem like difficult problems.

On first glance, you are telling me that we must force users to assign
each citation to a group (if they need this sort of formatting at
least), and therefore the internal coding must be able to store this
(it cannot yet in the OD proposal).  I know as a user that I'd rather
not have to do that, so perhaps we can figure out some other way.  Am
not sure how, mind you!

If we can't, then I guess my proposed solution would be similar; we'd
just need to add a group attribute to the citation coding.

On Nov 20, 2005, at 5:43 PM, David Wilson wrote:

>> On first glance, you are telling me that we must force users to assign
>> each citation to a group (if they need this sort of formatting at
>> least), and therefore the internal coding must be able to store this
>> (it cannot yet in the OD proposal).
> The group belongs to the Cited work not per citation of the work.
> So the grouping would be stored with the bibliographic detail file in
> the save
> files, not in the citation field inserted in the document.

That makes sense.  How would the GUI work?  Martha, you there?  Any
thoughts?

>> I know as a user that I'd rather
>> not have to do that, so perhaps we can figure out some other way.  Am
>> not sure how, mind you!
> Easy, have a default group. For people who do not need sorting this
> can be a
> Default (no heading) group. For most of my History papers 80-90% of
> the cited
> works were Secondary (so that would the default for me) Then, either
> when
> adding cited works or latter when finishing the paper assign the few
> Primary
> sources.

FWIW, here's an example of how the latex/bibtex multibib package works:

\usepackage{multibib}
\newcites{bk,art}%
          {References from books,%
           References from articles}