contextual labels for non-numeric page ranges

contextual labels for non-numeric page ranges

Sebastian Karcher
see e.g. here: http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/23575/mhra-style-multiple-pages-in-roman-numeral-pagination/

Currently, when a page range is non-numerical - including roman
numbers such as x-xv - citeproc-js treats it as a single unit, so e.g.
a page range x-xv is labaled as p. instead of pp. etc.

How do other CSL implementation handle this?
Is there any reason not to change this behavior so that everything
with a hyphen is considered plural or something along those lines?
Best,
--------

Re: contextual labels for non-numeric page ranges

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 6:48 PM, Sebastian Karcher <[hidden email]> wrote:
see e.g. here: http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/23575/mhra-style-multiple-pages-in-roman-numeral-pagination/

Currently, when a page range is non-numerical - including roman
numbers such as x-xv - citeproc-js treats it as a single unit, so e.g.
a page range x-xv is labaled as p. instead of pp. etc.

How do other CSL implementation handle this?
Is there any reason not to change this behavior so that everything
with a hyphen is considered plural or something along those lines?

I agree with Sebastian that this would be desired behavior. I don't think we need to mention it explicitly in the spec though (a unit test would be nice).

Re: contextual labels for non-numeric page ranges

fbennett
On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Rintze Zelle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 6:48 PM, Sebastian Karcher
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> see e.g. here:
>> http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/23575/mhra-style-multiple-pages-in-roman-numeral-pagination/
>>
>> Currently, when a page range is non-numerical - including roman
>> numbers such as x-xv - citeproc-js treats it as a single unit, so e.g.
>> a page range x-xv is labaled as p. instead of pp. etc.
>>
>> How do other CSL implementation handle this?
>> Is there any reason not to change this behavior so that everything
>> with a hyphen is considered plural or something along those lines?
>

> I agree with Sebastian that this would be desired behavior. I don't think we
> need to mention it explicitly in the spec though (a unit test would be
> nice).
>
> Rintze

Done for citeproc-js, in release 1.0.384. The logic will only set
plurals where there is a numeric unit on either side of a hyphen or
en-dash. Numeric units are strings ending in a number, or alphabetic
strings consisting entirely of characters appropriate to a roman
numeral.

Pluralisation could be made more indiscriminate, but in that case you
might want to document a method of escaping it in the spec
(citeproc-js honours a backslash escape on the hyphen character).