dates

Bruce D'Arcus-3
Question:

We all know that bib styles define date formatting. But can we say that
such date formatting is in fact defined by the document format?  Put
differently, is it ever the case that a document style mandates that
dates are formatted one way (let's say "January 12, 2002"), but its
bibliographic entries formatted another (say abbreviated; "Jan. 12,
2002")?  If yes, please provide urls.

This is an important question if I want to consider integrating CSL
logic into OD (and I do!), as OD already has support for general
date-internalization/configuration. Would be nice to be able to leave
that out of bib styling.

Re: [dev-biblio] dates

David Wilson
I have looked up my reference work,  Kate L. Turabin "A Manual for Writers of
Term papers, Theses, and Dissertations: Sixth Edition" which is based on the
'Chicago Manual of Style' 14th Edition.

The book gives a definite proscription for date formating

section 2.49 Date, Month and Year
"One of two permissable Styles for expressing day, month, and year should be
followed consistently throughout a paper. The first, which omits punctation,
is preferred:

       On 28 June 1970 the convocation Pacem in Maribus was held.

If the alternative sequence month-day-year is used the year is set off by
commas:

      On June 28, 1970, the convocation Pacem in Maribus was held."

This is advise for the whole paper and they follow the same convention in the
bibliographic examples.

David

On Monday 21 November 2005 2:36 am, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> Question:
>
> We all know that bib styles define date formatting. But can we say that
> such date formatting is in fact defined by the document format?  Put
> differently, is it ever the case that a document style mandates that
> dates are formatted one way (let's say "January 12, 2002"), but its
> bibliographic entries formatted another (say abbreviated; "Jan. 12,
> 2002")?  If yes, please provide urls.
>
> This is an important question if I want to consider integrating CSL
> logic into OD (and I do!), as OD already has support for general
> date-internalization/configuration. Would be nice to be able to leave
> that out of bib styling.
>
> Bruce

David N. Wilson
Co-Project Lead for the Bibliographic