keys and ids (again)

Bruce D'Arcus-3
OK, another design question:

Right now, citeproc expects to associate a citation with mods:mods/@ID.
  In other words, identifier of the mods document happens exclusively by
doing:

<mods ID="doe99" ...

Is it OK for me to keep this convention for now?  It's easy for
Matthias to support this, of course, since he's generating the MODS
records from the DB.  In the context of a mult-user XML DB, though, it
becomes a little more tricky I think.

Re: keys and ids (again)

Matthias Steffens
On 03-May-2005 at 10:42 -0400 Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> Right now, citeproc expects to associate a citation with
> mods:mods/@ID. In other words, identifier of the mods document
> happens exclusively by doing:
>
> <mods ID="doe99" ...

[ I don't think this matters in the context of citeproc but refbase
[ allows users to cite a record not only by its cite key but also by
[ its database serial number. We have users that don't use any cite
[ keys at all and refer to records solely by their database serial
[ numbers. If there's no cite key for a given record (and user)
[ refbase will ommit the mods:mods/@ID attribute completely and leave
[ the generation of generic cite keys to bibutils when converting MODS
[ records to Bibtex/Endnote/RIS. Anyhow, if a user uses citeproc for
[ document processing and refbase as a DB backend than he'll also use
[ cite keys.

> Is it OK for me to keep this convention for now?

I think so, yes.

> It's easy for Matthias to support this, of course, since he's
> generating the MODS records from the DB.  In the context of a
> mult-user XML DB, though, it becomes a little more tricky I think.

In addition to '<mods ID="doe99"...' refbase does also output the
cite key as:

  <identifier type="citekey">doe99</identifier>

AFAIK, this is also recognized by bibutils. I'm not sure if bibutils
preferes one over the other, though.

Matthias

Re: keys and ids (again)

Bruce D'Arcus-3
On Jun 3, 2005, at 11:22 AM, Matthias Steffens wrote:

> In addition to '<mods ID="doe99"...' refbase does also output the
> cite key as:
>
>   <identifier type="citekey">doe99</identifier>
>
> AFAIK, this is also recognized by bibutils. I'm not sure if bibutils
> preferes one over the other, though.

Yeah, Chris and I decided better to be safe and duplicate the content
for now.  Citeproc doesn't yet look at the identifier element though.

Bruce