"ibid" equiv cites for parenthetical styles?

"ibid" equiv cites for parenthetical styles?

Joseph Reagle
Presently I do this manually, which is a nuisance. In the pandoc below,
I would like the second citations to be rendered without the author and
year as "(p. 9)". There is no intervening citation between it and the
first citation hence one can assume that "(p. 9)" is bound to the
earlier "Williams (1976: 9)".

```
Later, as an academic, Williams [-@Williams1976kvc, p. 9] began
collecting words and exploring their histories and usage;  this would
manifest in his 1976 book *Keywords: A Vocabulary of Culture and
Society*. He wrote that this book wasn't a glossary of a particular
academic subject nor a series footnotes on the history of the
dictionary: "It is, rather, the record of an inquiry into a vocabulary:
a shared body of words and meanings." Most compellingly, these keywords
shape how we approach "certain activities and their interpretation" and
are indicative of "certain forms of thought"; conversely, they can also
"open up issues and problems" which need greater attention
[@Williams1976kvc, p. 9].
```

1. Is it possible to do this?
2. Would this be a CSL, style, or pandoc issue?

Re: "ibid" equiv cites for parenthetical styles?

Sebastian Karcher
You can do that in CSL by just using if position="ibid-with-locator"
and then only rendering the locator macro.

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 12:31 PM, Joseph Reagle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Presently I do this manually, which is a nuisance. In the pandoc below,
> I would like the second citations to be rendered without the author and
> year as "(p. 9)". There is no intervening citation between it and the
> first citation hence one can assume that "(p. 9)" is bound to the
> earlier "Williams (1976: 9)".
>
> ```
> Later, as an academic, Williams [-@Williams1976kvc, p. 9] began
> collecting words and exploring their histories and usage;  this would
> manifest in his 1976 book *Keywords: A Vocabulary of Culture and
> Society*. He wrote that this book wasn't a glossary of a particular
> academic subject nor a series footnotes on the history of the
> dictionary: "It is, rather, the record of an inquiry into a vocabulary:
> a shared body of words and meanings." Most compellingly, these keywords
> shape how we approach "certain activities and their interpretation" and
> are indicative of "certain forms of thought"; conversely, they can also
> "open up issues and problems" which need greater attention
> [@Williams1976kvc, p. 9].
> ```
>
> 1. Is it possible to do this?
> 2. Would this be a CSL, style, or pandoc issue?

Sebastian Karcher, PhD

On 09/24/2014 02:04 PM, Sebastian Karcher wrote:
> You can do that in CSL by just using if position="ibid-with-locator"
> and then only rendering the locator macro.

Could you point me to a parenthetical style that does this? I've only
seen "ibid-with-locator" used with notes.

> On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 12:31 PM, Joseph Reagle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Presently I do this manually, which is a nuisance. In the pandoc below,
>> I would like the second citations to be rendered without the author and
>> year as "(p. 9)". There is no intervening citation between it and the
>> first citation hence one can assume that "(p. 9)" is bound to the
>> earlier "Williams (1976: 9)".
>>
>> ```
>> Later, as an academic, Williams [-@Williams1976kvc, p. 9] began
>> collecting words and exploring their histories and usage;  this would
>> manifest in his 1976 book *Keywords: A Vocabulary of Culture and
>> Society*. He wrote that this book wasn't a glossary of a particular
>> academic subject nor a series footnotes on the history of the
>> dictionary: "It is, rather, the record of an inquiry into a vocabulary:
>> a shared body of words and meanings." Most compellingly, these keywords
>> shape how we approach "certain activities and their interpretation" and
>> are indicative of "certain forms of thought"; conversely, they can also
>> "open up issues and problems" which need greater attention
>> [@Williams1976kvc, p. 9].
>> ```
>>
>> 1. Is it possible to do this?
>> 2. Would this be a CSL, style, or pandoc issue?

Re: "ibid" equiv cites for parenthetical styles?

Sebastian Karcher
https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/blob/master/osterreichische-zeitschrift-fur-politikwissenschaft.csl
they render ibid. (or rather ebd.) explicitly, but that's the idea and
you can just take it out and remove the condition for ibid without a
locator entirely (since that would give you an empty citation, which
you never want).

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 8:58 AM, Joseph Reagle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 09/24/2014 02:04 PM, Sebastian Karcher wrote:
>> You can do that in CSL by just using if position="ibid-with-locator"
>> and then only rendering the locator macro.
>
> Could you point me to a parenthetical style that does this? I've only
> seen "ibid-with-locator" used with notes.
>
>> On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 12:31 PM, Joseph Reagle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Presently I do this manually, which is a nuisance. In the pandoc below,
>>> I would like the second citations to be rendered without the author and
>>> year as "(p. 9)". There is no intervening citation between it and the
>>> first citation hence one can assume that "(p. 9)" is bound to the
>>> earlier "Williams (1976: 9)".
>>>
>>> ```
>>> Later, as an academic, Williams [-@Williams1976kvc, p. 9] began
>>> collecting words and exploring their histories and usage;  this would
>>> manifest in his 1976 book *Keywords: A Vocabulary of Culture and
>>> Society*. He wrote that this book wasn't a glossary of a particular
>>> academic subject nor a series footnotes on the history of the
>>> dictionary: "It is, rather, the record of an inquiry into a vocabulary:
>>> a shared body of words and meanings." Most compellingly, these keywords
>>> shape how we approach "certain activities and their interpretation" and
>>> are indicative of "certain forms of thought"; conversely, they can also
>>> "open up issues and problems" which need greater attention
>>> [@Williams1976kvc, p. 9].
>>> ```
>>>
>>> 1. Is it possible to do this?
>>> 2. Would this be a CSL, style, or pandoc issue?

Sebastian Karcher, PhD

Re: "ibid" equiv cites for parenthetical styles?

I'm going to suggest a simpler solution: just use plain text for that.
That's what I do.

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 1:31 PM, Joseph Reagle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Presently I do this manually, which is a nuisance. In the pandoc below,
> I would like the second citations to be rendered without the author and
> year as "(p. 9)". There is no intervening citation between it and the
> first citation hence one can assume that "(p. 9)" is bound to the
> earlier "Williams (1976: 9)".
>
> ```
> Later, as an academic, Williams [-@Williams1976kvc, p. 9] began
> collecting words and exploring their histories and usage;  this would
> manifest in his 1976 book *Keywords: A Vocabulary of Culture and
> Society*. He wrote that this book wasn't a glossary of a particular
> academic subject nor a series footnotes on the history of the
> dictionary: "It is, rather, the record of an inquiry into a vocabulary:
> a shared body of words and meanings." Most compellingly, these keywords
> shape how we approach "certain activities and their interpretation" and
> are indicative of "certain forms of thought"; conversely, they can also
> "open up issues and problems" which need greater attention
> [@Williams1976kvc, p. 9].
> ```
>
> 1. Is it possible to do this?
> 2. Would this be a CSL, style, or pandoc issue?

Re: "ibid" equiv cites for parenthetical styles?

Sebastian Karcher
it´s what I do, too, but if you´re moving back and forth between
parenthetical and footnote styles it´s not good enough and I figured
Joseph had thought of adding it by hand himself before asking ;)

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 9:11 AM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm going to suggest a simpler solution: just use plain text for that.
> That's what I do.
>
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 1:31 PM, Joseph Reagle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Presently I do this manually, which is a nuisance. In the pandoc below,
>> I would like the second citations to be rendered without the author and
>> year as "(p. 9)". There is no intervening citation between it and the
>> first citation hence one can assume that "(p. 9)" is bound to the
>> earlier "Williams (1976: 9)".
>>
>> ```
>> Later, as an academic, Williams [-@Williams1976kvc, p. 9] began
>> collecting words and exploring their histories and usage;  this would
>> manifest in his 1976 book *Keywords: A Vocabulary of Culture and
>> Society*. He wrote that this book wasn't a glossary of a particular
>> academic subject nor a series footnotes on the history of the
>> dictionary: "It is, rather, the record of an inquiry into a vocabulary:
>> a shared body of words and meanings." Most compellingly, these keywords
>> shape how we approach "certain activities and their interpretation" and
>> are indicative of "certain forms of thought"; conversely, they can also
>> "open up issues and problems" which need greater attention
>> [@Williams1976kvc, p. 9].
>> ```
>>
>> 1. Is it possible to do this?
>> 2. Would this be a CSL, style, or pandoc issue?

Sebastian Karcher, PhD

Re: "ibid" equiv cites for parenthetical styles?

Bruce D'Arcus-3
Yeah, just making sure he was thinking about it.

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 10:20 AM, Sebastian Karcher
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> it´s what I do, too, but if you´re moving back and forth between
> parenthetical and footnote styles it´s not good enough and I figured
> Joseph had thought of adding it by hand himself before asking ;)
>
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 9:11 AM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm going to suggest a simpler solution: just use plain text for that.
>> That's what I do.
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 1:31 PM, Joseph Reagle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Presently I do this manually, which is a nuisance. In the pandoc below,
>>> I would like the second citations to be rendered without the author and
>>> year as "(p. 9)". There is no intervening citation between it and the
>>> first citation hence one can assume that "(p. 9)" is bound to the
>>> earlier "Williams (1976: 9)".
>>>
>>> ```
>>> Later, as an academic, Williams [-@Williams1976kvc, p. 9] began
>>> collecting words and exploring their histories and usage;  this would
>>> manifest in his 1976 book *Keywords: A Vocabulary of Culture and
>>> Society*. He wrote that this book wasn't a glossary of a particular
>>> academic subject nor a series footnotes on the history of the
>>> dictionary: "It is, rather, the record of an inquiry into a vocabulary:
>>> a shared body of words and meanings." Most compellingly, these keywords
>>> shape how we approach "certain activities and their interpretation" and
>>> are indicative of "certain forms of thought"; conversely, they can also
>>> "open up issues and problems" which need greater attention
>>> [@Williams1976kvc, p. 9].
>>> ```
>>>
>>> 1. Is it possible to do this?
>>> 2. Would this be a CSL, style, or pandoc issue?

> Sebastian Karcher, PhD

Re: "ibid" equiv cites for parenthetical styles?

aurimas

This also makes things work magically if you remove the first citation.

On 09/25/2014 10:37 AM, Aurimas Vinckevicius wrote:
> This also makes things work magically if you remove the first citation.

As I said, I already do it manually, but the above would be another benefit.