refbase mods

Bruce D'Arcus-3
Matthias,

Two things that are causing me some problems:

1)  Currrently, correct formatting depends on their being an
"issuance" element, particularly on the host.  So for Ackley, can you
add that?  It should be monographic.

I wasn't gettting the series level output, and I'm pretty sure that's
why.  Because citeproc defaults to article without the issuance, it
looks at the wrong reftype.

2)  As I mentioned before (though it's minor), if you want citproc to
handle details of initilazation, you need to output each initial to a
separate namePart.

Otherwise, looking good so far.  I'll package a second pre-release
today for you to test as well.

Re: refbase mods

Matthias Steffens
On 15-Jun-2005 at 7:41 -0400 Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> 1)  Currrently, correct formatting depends on their being an
> "issuance" element, particularly on the host.  So for Ackley, can
> you add that?  It should be monographic.
>
> I wasn't gettting the series level output, and I'm pretty sure
> that's why.  Because citeproc defaults to article without the
> issuance, it looks at the wrong reftype.

You mean like this:

   <relatedItem type="host">
      [...]
      <originInfo>
         <dateIssued>1990</dateIssued>
         <publisher>U.S. Army Corps of Engineers[...]</publisher>
         <place>
            <placeTerm type="text">Hanover</placeTerm>
         </place>
         <issuance>monographic</issuance>
      </originInfo>
      <genre authority="marc">book</genre>
      [...]
      <relatedItem type="series">
         [...]
      </relatedItem>
   </relatedItem>

Will all records of genre book have issuance=monographic? What about
theses?

And should I also put a "originInfo/issuance/continuing" into the
<relatedItem type="series"> branch?

> 2)  As I mentioned before (though it's minor), if you want citproc
> to handle details of initilazation, you need to output each initial
> to a separate namePart.

Yes, thanks for noting it again. I'm aware of the problem but haven't
found a solution to yet.

Matthias

Re: refbase mods

Bruce D'Arcus-3
On Jun 15, 2005, at 7:59 AM, Matthias Steffens wrote:

> You mean like this:

Yes.

> Will all records of genre book have issuance=monographic? What about
> theses?

Yes to both.

> And should I also put a "originInfo/issuance/continuing" into the
> <relatedItem type="series"> branch?

You could, though I don't look at that.

BTW, here's how I'm categorizing genres in MODS Tight.  So, serials are
those with continuing issuance, etc.

This is tricky though (for example, I note you called the item in the
proceedings an "article"), but feedback appreciated.

   ## adapt MARC genre list and categorize them into classes
   div {

     ## Not all genres can be grouped into a single class of record
     ## so here have a more generic category.
     Genres-open = "map" | "interview"
     Genres-part = "short story" | "poetry" | "essay"
     Genres-part-inSerial-marc =
       attribute authority { "marc" }?,
       ("legislation" | "patent" | "reporting")
     Genres-part-inSerial-xbib =
       attribute authority { "xbib" }?,
       ("abstract"
        | "article"
        | "editorial"
        | "legal article"
        | "legal case"
        | "letter to the editor"
        | "patent"
        | "review")
     Genres-part-inMonograph-xbib = "chapter" | "song" | "hearing"
     Genres-serial-marc =
       attribute authority { "marc" }?,
       ("conference publication"
        | "law report or digest"
        | "newspaper"
        | "periodical")
     Genres-serial-xbib =
       attribute authority { "xbib" }?,
       ("academic journal"
        | "court reporter"
        | "radio broadcast"
        | "television broadcast")
     Genres-monograph-marc =
       attribute authority { "marc" }?,
       ("art original"
        | "art reproduction"
        | "atlas"
        | "book"
        | "chart"
        | "database"
        | "dictionary"
        | "graphic"
        | "handbook"
        | "interview"
        | "loose-leaf"
        | "map"
        | "memoir"
        | "microscope slide"
        | "motion picture"
        | "novel "
        | "numeric data"
        | "remote sensing image"
        | "slide"
        | "speech"
        | "statistics"
        | "thesis"
        | "treaty"
        | "technical drawing"
        | "technical report"
        | "videorecording"
        | "web site")
     Genres-monograph-xbib =
       attribute authority { "xbib" }?,
       ("album"
        | "dissertation"
        | "personal communication"
        | "report"
        | "speech")
   }
}

Re: refbase mods

Matthias Steffens
On 15-Jun-2005 at 7:41 -0400 Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> 1)  Currrently, correct formatting depends on their being an
> "issuance" element, particularly on the host.  So for Ackley, can
> you add that?  It should be monographic.

I've added '<issuance>monographic</issuance>' to the 'originInfo'
branch for marc genres 'book' and 'theses'.

Let me know if this helps to output series information correctly.

Regards, Matthias

Re: refbase mods

On 6/15/05, Matthias Steffens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've added '<issuance>monographic</issuance>' to the 'originInfo'
> branch for marc genres 'book' and 'theses'.
>
> Let me know if this helps to output series information correctly.

Yup, that works.  I've uploaded a new archive here:

http://www.users.muohio.edu/darcusb/xslt/citeproc-0.7-pre2.tar.gz

There's still one or two bugs I need to fix, and then I'll get it
ready for final 0.7 status and announcement.

Bruce