saxon servlet

Bruce D'Arcus-3
For those looking at incorporating citeproc into their apps, you might
look at the Saxon servlet example included in the Saxon archive.

 From the doc:

> The servlet maintains a cache of prepared stylesheets; if the same
> stylesheet is used repeatedly,  it is only parsed and validated once,
> which will often greatly improve performance. Prepared style sheets
> are thread-safe so they can be used to serve documents to several
> users concurrently.

There are two things that slow-down the processing:

1) compiling the stylesheet
2) starting up the JVM

It seems the servlet solves both problems, though perhaps in
integration with a Java app like eXist, these aren't problems (?).

Re: saxon servlet

Wolfgang Meier
Hi Bruce,

> There are two things that slow-down the processing:
>
> 1) compiling the stylesheet
> 2) starting up the JVM
>
> It seems the servlet solves both problems, though perhaps in integration
> with a Java app like eXist, these aren't problems (?).

The transform:transform() XQuery extension function in eXist maintains
its own cache for the compiled stylesheets.

Wolfgang

Re: saxon servlet

Bruce D'Arcus-3
On Jun 7, 2005, at 10:05 AM, Wolfgang Meier wrote:

> The transform:transform() XQuery extension function in eXist maintains
> its own cache for the compiled stylesheets.

Cool.  Would be nice to have a demo working with the MDC project, along
with RefBase.  I've just about wrapped up the changes I want to make
for the next release (including adding SRU support!).

Re: saxon servlet

Howard Noble
Adrian is on the case - will we be able to get a stylesheet that can create
lists to some official standard?
Howard

> On Jun 7, 2005, at 10:05 AM, Wolfgang Meier wrote:
>
> > The transform:transform() XQuery extension function in eXist maintains
> > its own cache for the compiled stylesheets.
>
> Cool.  Would be nice to have a demo working with the MDC project, along
> with RefBase.  I've just about wrapped up the changes I want to make
> for the next release (including adding SRU support!).
>
> Bruce

Re: saxon servlet

Bruce D'Arcus-3
On Jun 7, 2005, at 10:29 AM, Howard Noble wrote:

> Adrian is on the case - will we be able to get a stylesheet that can
> create
> lists to some official standard?

When I put up the new release, it'll have a few.

Re: saxon servlet

Howard Noble
great. our primary users are medics so we'll have to create some stylesheets
for them...hopefully it will be easy to adapt your stylesheets for this
audience.

howard