Quantcast

schema error in nxml mode

Bruce D'Arcus-3
I'm getting an error about an undefined pattern variable.names when
trying to use the csl schema in nxml mode.

I'm not exactly sure why, unless it's because the pattern is
referenced in the file before it's actually defined.

Any ideas?

I would test this further with the java tools, but my java isn't setup
correctly.

Re: schema error in nxml mode

Bruce D'Arcus-3
... or maybe not error, but warning.

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 11:07 AM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm getting an error about an undefined pattern variable.names when
> trying to use the csl schema in nxml mode.
>
> I'm not exactly sure why, unless it's because the pattern is
> referenced in the file before it's actually defined.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> I would test this further with the java tools, but my java isn't setup
> correctly.
>
> Bruce

Re: schema error in nxml mode

Bruce D'Arcus-3
Actually, it's flagging the csl.terms.rnc file as the problem.

Not really sure why, since I'm specifying to validate against rnc.csl,
and that includes this file.

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 11:17 AM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ... or maybe not error, but warning.
>
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 11:07 AM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm getting an error about an undefined pattern variable.names when
>> trying to use the csl schema in nxml mode.
>>
>> I'm not exactly sure why, unless it's because the pattern is
>> referenced in the file before it's actually defined.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> I would test this further with the java tools, but my java isn't setup
>> correctly.
>>
>> Bruce

Re: schema error in nxml mode

Bruce D'Arcus-3
I ended up just combining the schemas into a single file, using trang
and jing. It's here if anyone could use it.

https://gist.github.com/bdarcus/b196aaff7133de337c70636e0f98ed78

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 11:51 AM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Actually, it's flagging the csl.terms.rnc file as the problem.
>
> Not really sure why, since I'm specifying to validate against rnc.csl,
> and that includes this file.
>
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 11:17 AM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> ... or maybe not error, but warning.
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 11:07 AM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I'm getting an error about an undefined pattern variable.names when
>>> trying to use the csl schema in nxml mode.
>>>
>>> I'm not exactly sure why, unless it's because the pattern is
>>> referenced in the file before it's actually defined.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> I would test this further with the java tools, but my java isn't setup
>>> correctly.
>>>
>>> Bruce

Re: schema error in nxml mode

Sebastian Karcher
FWIW I'm using the schema in nxml mode all the time without issues.

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 9:49 PM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
I ended up just combining the schemas into a single file, using trang
and jing. It's here if anyone could use it.

https://gist.github.com/bdarcus/b196aaff7133de337c70636e0f98ed78

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 11:51 AM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Actually, it's flagging the csl.terms.rnc file as the problem.
>
> Not really sure why, since I'm specifying to validate against rnc.csl,
> and that includes this file.
>
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 11:17 AM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> ... or maybe not error, but warning.
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 11:07 AM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I'm getting an error about an undefined pattern variable.names when
>>> trying to use the csl schema in nxml mode.
>>>
>>> I'm not exactly sure why, unless it's because the pattern is
>>> referenced in the file before it's actually defined.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> I would test this further with the java tools, but my java isn't setup
>>> correctly.
>>>
>>> Bruce

Sebastian Karcher, PhD
www.sebastiankarcher.com

Re: schema error in nxml mode

Bruce D'Arcus-3

Hmm ... interesting. Which version? Master?

On Sep 26, 2016 9:50 PM, "Sebastian Karcher" <[hidden email]> wrote:
FWIW I'm using the schema in nxml mode all the time without issues.

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 9:49 PM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
I ended up just combining the schemas into a single file, using trang
and jing. It's here if anyone could use it.

https://gist.github.com/bdarcus/b196aaff7133de337c70636e0f98ed78

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 11:51 AM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Actually, it's flagging the csl.terms.rnc file as the problem.
>
> Not really sure why, since I'm specifying to validate against rnc.csl,
> and that includes this file.
>
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 11:17 AM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> ... or maybe not error, but warning.
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 11:07 AM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I'm getting an error about an undefined pattern variable.names when
>>> trying to use the csl schema in nxml mode.
>>>
>>> I'm not exactly sure why, unless it's because the pattern is
>>> referenced in the file before it's actually defined.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> I would test this further with the java tools, but my java isn't setup
>>> correctly.
>>>
>>> Bruce

Sebastian Karcher, PhD
www.sebastiankarcher.com

Re: schema error in nxml mode

Sebastian Karcher
yes, downloaded from github.

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 10:17 PM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hmm ... interesting. Which version? Master?

On Sep 26, 2016 9:50 PM, "Sebastian Karcher" <[hidden email]> wrote:
FWIW I'm using the schema in nxml mode all the time without issues.

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 9:49 PM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
I ended up just combining the schemas into a single file, using trang
and jing. It's here if anyone could use it.

https://gist.github.com/bdarcus/b196aaff7133de337c70636e0f98ed78

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 11:51 AM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Actually, it's flagging the csl.terms.rnc file as the problem.
>
> Not really sure why, since I'm specifying to validate against rnc.csl,
> and that includes this file.
>
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 11:17 AM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> ... or maybe not error, but warning.
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 11:07 AM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I'm getting an error about an undefined pattern variable.names when
>>> trying to use the csl schema in nxml mode.
>>>
>>> I'm not exactly sure why, unless it's because the pattern is
>>> referenced in the file before it's actually defined.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> I would test this further with the java tools, but my java isn't setup
>>> correctly.
>>>
>>> Bruce

Sebastian Karcher, PhD
www.sebastiankarcher.com

Sebastian Karcher, PhD
www.sebastiankarcher.com

Re: schema error in nxml mode

I've never used nxml, but Jing (version jing-20091111) doesn't report
any problems for csl.rnc in the "master" branch. Maybe you could test
whether you can fix the issue by rearranging

include "csl-terms.rnc"
include "csl-types.rnc"
include "csl-variables.rnc"

in csl.rnc to

include "csl-variables.rnc"
include "csl-terms.rnc"
include "csl-types.rnc"

? If it does, we can change the order for future versions of CSL. I
can dig into the RELAX NG spec to see if the "include"-order is ever
supposed to matter, although
http://www.relaxng.org/compact-tutorial-20030326.html seems silent on
the matter. Probably just a bug in nxml.

Rintze

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 10:23 PM, Sebastian Karcher
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> yes, downloaded from github.
>
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 10:17 PM, Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hmm ... interesting. Which version? Master?
>>

>> On Sep 26, 2016 9:50 PM, "Sebastian Karcher" <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> FWIW I'm using the schema in nxml mode all the time without issues.

>>> --
>>> Sebastian Karcher, PhD
>>> www.sebastiankarcher.com

> Sebastian Karcher, PhD
> www.sebastiankarcher.com

Re: schema error in nxml mode

Bruce D'Arcus-3

I will check.

A bug in nxml is certainly possible. Except James Clark wrote it, and aside from being widely considered a master programmer,  he's also the author of relax ng.