season/issue in chicago-fullnote-bibliography?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

season/issue in chicago-fullnote-bibliography?

Joseph Reagle

While I used biblatex in my last book, for my next book I'm using
pandoc+csl . I plan on using chicago-fullnote-bibliography.csl as that
seems the most extensive Chicago system.

First, is there a way to *not* get the bibliography? (The notes are
sufficient.)

Second, I've always placed the issue in the biblatex `issue` variable.
This appears to be the `season` variable in CSL? It appears to be
ignored in chicago-fullnote-bibliography...?

Also, are the values it accepts only of the {1..4} or 'season-{1..4}'?
What about the names of special issues, or issues like 'Fall/Winter'?

Thanks for any help!


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn Graph Databases - Download FREE O'Reilly Book
"Graph Databases" is the definitive new guide to graph databases and their
applications. Written by three acclaimed leaders in the field,
this first edition is now available. Download your free book today!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/NeoTech
_______________________________________________
xbiblio-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/xbiblio-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: season/issue in chicago-fullnote-bibliography?

rmzelle
Administrator
I think you'll have better luck on the pandoc forums with these rather
implementation-specific questions, but let me try to help out a
little.

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 2:44 PM, Joseph Reagle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> First, is there a way to *not* get the bibliography? (The notes are
> sufficient.)

With Zotero and its word processor plugins, you always have to
explicitly add the bibliography to the document (the CSL specification
also doesn't require the bibliography to be rendered). Doesn't pandoc
rely on a biblatex command to place the bibliography, or at least
provide an option to suppress it?

> Second, I've always placed the issue in the biblatex `issue` variable.
> This appears to be the `season` variable in CSL? It appears to be
> ignored in chicago-fullnote-bibliography...?
>
> Also, are the values it accepts only of the {1..4} or 'season-{1..4}'?
> What about the names of special issues, or issues like 'Fall/Winter'?

That doesn't seem right. Nick Bart on the pandoc forums did a lot of
work mapping biblatex to CSL, so he might know. See this discussion
which touches on the season/issue mapping:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/pandoc-discuss/-SajbqoPX8k/RyEQAqEUHPsJ

Rintze

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn Graph Databases - Download FREE O'Reilly Book
"Graph Databases" is the definitive new guide to graph databases and their
applications. Written by three acclaimed leaders in the field,
this first edition is now available. Download your free book today!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/NeoTech
_______________________________________________
xbiblio-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/xbiblio-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: season/issue in chicago-fullnote-bibliography?

Sebastian Karcher
In reply to this post by Joseph Reagle
> First, is there a way to *not* get the bibliography?
not in the native CSL style - we assume that implementations allow
users to insert a bibliography or not. But It's trivial to remove in
the CSL style, of course, simply by deleting everthing between
<bibliography>and </bibliography>

> Second, I've always placed the issue in the biblatex `issue` variable. This appears to be the `season` variable in CSL?
Not sure about biblatex right now, but why wouldn't that just be
"issue" in CSL? "season" isn't actually a variable in CSL, it's a
date-part (which is why it has to be, well, a season).
Special issue handling in CSL is a bit iffy, there may not currently
be a great solution: https://github.com/ajlyon/zotero-bits/issues/36

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 12:44 PM, Joseph Reagle <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> While I used biblatex in my last book, for my next book I'm using
> pandoc+csl . I plan on using chicago-fullnote-bibliography.csl as that
> seems the most extensive Chicago system.
>
> First, is there a way to *not* get the bibliography? (The notes are
> sufficient.)
>
> Second, I've always placed the issue in the biblatex `issue` variable.
> This appears to be the `season` variable in CSL? It appears to be
> ignored in chicago-fullnote-bibliography...?
>
> Also, are the values it accepts only of the {1..4} or 'season-{1..4}'?
> What about the names of special issues, or issues like 'Fall/Winter'?
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Learn Graph Databases - Download FREE O'Reilly Book
> "Graph Databases" is the definitive new guide to graph databases and their
> applications. Written by three acclaimed leaders in the field,
> this first edition is now available. Download your free book today!
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/NeoTech
> _______________________________________________
> xbiblio-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/xbiblio-devel



--
Sebastian Karcher
Ph.D. Candidate
Department of Political Science
Northwestern University

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn Graph Databases - Download FREE O'Reilly Book
"Graph Databases" is the definitive new guide to graph databases and their
applications. Written by three acclaimed leaders in the field,
this first edition is now available. Download your free book today!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/NeoTech
_______________________________________________
xbiblio-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/xbiblio-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: season/issue in chicago-fullnote-bibliography?

Joseph Reagle
On 04/14/2014 03:17 PM, Sebastian Karcher wrote:
>> Second, I've always placed the issue in the biblatex `issue` variable. This appears to be the `season` variable in CSL?
> Not sure about biblatex right now, but why wouldn't that just be
> "issue" in CSL? "season" isn't actually a variable in CSL, it's a
> date-part (which is why it has to be, well, a season).

This is what I though until I noted my bibliographies (via
chicago-fullnote-bibliography.csl) had bugs like "no. Winter." Since
seasons itself seems to take {1..4} I was (and am) confused as to how it
knew whether one was giving an issue-number or issue-season...?



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn Graph Databases - Download FREE O'Reilly Book
"Graph Databases" is the definitive new guide to graph databases and their
applications. Written by three acclaimed leaders in the field,
this first edition is now available. Download your free book today!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/NeoTech
_______________________________________________
xbiblio-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/xbiblio-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: season/issue in chicago-fullnote-bibliography?

Sebastian Karcher
I'd input that not as an issue but as a date, that's how the citation
style is written. Beyond that, Rintze is right, this better at pandoc
as it really is implementation specific. CSL doesn't "take" anything.
Various citeprocs take different data. CSL is just a set of rules.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn Graph Databases - Download FREE O'Reilly Book
"Graph Databases" is the definitive new guide to graph databases and their
applications. Written by three acclaimed leaders in the field,
this first edition is now available. Download your free book today!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/NeoTech
_______________________________________________
xbiblio-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/xbiblio-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: season/issue in chicago-fullnote-bibliography?

Joseph Reagle
On 04/14/2014 05:10 PM, Sebastian Karcher wrote:
> I'd input that not as an issue but as a date, that's how the citation
> style is written.

So an entry in YAML should look like below?


 - id: BrynjolfssonRenshawvanAlstyne1997mc
  type: article-journal
  author:
    family: "Brynjolfsson"
    given:
    - "Erik"
    family: "Renshaw"
    given:
    - "Amy"
    - "Austin"
    family: "Alstyne"
    given:
    - "Marshall"
    non-dropping-particle: "van"
  issued:
    year: 1997
    season: 4
  container-title: "Sloan Management Review"
  number: "2"
  title: "The matrix of change"
  URL: "http://ccs.mit.edu/papers/CCSWP189/CCSWP189.html"
  volume: "38"


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn Graph Databases - Download FREE O'Reilly Book
"Graph Databases" is the definitive new guide to graph databases and their
applications. Written by three acclaimed leaders in the field,
this first edition is now available. Download your free book today!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/NeoTech
_______________________________________________
xbiblio-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/xbiblio-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: season/issue in chicago-fullnote-bibliography?

rmzelle
Administrator
http://gsl-nagoya-u.net/http/pub/citeproc-doc.html has an example of
the use of "season" in citeproc-js JSON (which has become rather the
de facto standard input format for most CSL processors).

Rintze

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 5:20 PM, Joseph Reagle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04/14/2014 05:10 PM, Sebastian Karcher wrote:
>> I'd input that not as an issue but as a date, that's how the citation
>> style is written.
>
> So an entry in YAML should look like below?
>
>
>  - id: BrynjolfssonRenshawvanAlstyne1997mc
>   type: article-journal
>   author:
>     family: "Brynjolfsson"
>     given:
>     - "Erik"
>     family: "Renshaw"
>     given:
>     - "Amy"
>     - "Austin"
>     family: "Alstyne"
>     given:
>     - "Marshall"
>     non-dropping-particle: "van"
>   issued:
>     year: 1997
>     season: 4
>   container-title: "Sloan Management Review"
>   number: "2"
>   title: "The matrix of change"
>   URL: "http://ccs.mit.edu/papers/CCSWP189/CCSWP189.html"
>   volume: "38"
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Learn Graph Databases - Download FREE O'Reilly Book
> "Graph Databases" is the definitive new guide to graph databases and their
> applications. Written by three acclaimed leaders in the field,
> this first edition is now available. Download your free book today!
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/NeoTech
> _______________________________________________
> xbiblio-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/xbiblio-devel

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn Graph Databases - Download FREE O'Reilly Book
"Graph Databases" is the definitive new guide to graph databases and their
applications. Written by three acclaimed leaders in the field,
this first edition is now available. Download your free book today!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/NeoTech
_______________________________________________
xbiblio-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/xbiblio-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: season/issue in chicago-fullnote-bibliography?

Sebastian Karcher
In reply to this post by Joseph Reagle
if the YAML is supposed to correspond to citeproc-JSON or CSL, it
should be issue: "2" instead of number: "2" - the label "number" for
an issue number is only used in BibLaTeX, never in CSL. Otherwise,
yes.

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 3:20 PM, Joseph Reagle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04/14/2014 05:10 PM, Sebastian Karcher wrote:
>> I'd input that not as an issue but as a date, that's how the citation
>> style is written.
>
> So an entry in YAML should look like below?
>
>
>  - id: BrynjolfssonRenshawvanAlstyne1997mc
>   type: article-journal
>   author:
>     family: "Brynjolfsson"
>     given:
>     - "Erik"
>     family: "Renshaw"
>     given:
>     - "Amy"
>     - "Austin"
>     family: "Alstyne"
>     given:
>     - "Marshall"
>     non-dropping-particle: "van"
>   issued:
>     year: 1997
>     season: 4
>   container-title: "Sloan Management Review"
>   number: "2"
>   title: "The matrix of change"
>   URL: "http://ccs.mit.edu/papers/CCSWP189/CCSWP189.html"
>   volume: "38"
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Learn Graph Databases - Download FREE O'Reilly Book
> "Graph Databases" is the definitive new guide to graph databases and their
> applications. Written by three acclaimed leaders in the field,
> this first edition is now available. Download your free book today!
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/NeoTech
> _______________________________________________
> xbiblio-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/xbiblio-devel



--
Sebastian Karcher
Ph.D. Candidate
Department of Political Science
Northwestern University

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn Graph Databases - Download FREE O'Reilly Book
"Graph Databases" is the definitive new guide to graph databases and their
applications. Written by three acclaimed leaders in the field,
this first edition is now available. Download your free book today!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/NeoTech
_______________________________________________
xbiblio-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/xbiblio-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: season/issue in chicago-fullnote-bibliography?

Joseph Reagle
On 04/14/2014 05:26 PM, Sebastian Karcher wrote:
> Otherwise, yes.

Ah, okay. And in the CSL vernacular, what would be the labels for "8(8):
e69841"? "volume(number): ?"


Kross E, Verduyn P, Demiralp E, Park J, Lee DS, et al. (2013) Facebook
Use Predicts Declines in Subjective Well-Being in Young Adults. PLoS ONE
8(8): e69841. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0069841

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0069841


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn Graph Databases - Download FREE O'Reilly Book
"Graph Databases" is the definitive new guide to graph databases and their
applications. Written by three acclaimed leaders in the field,
this first edition is now available. Download your free book today!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/NeoTech
_______________________________________________
xbiblio-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/xbiblio-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: season/issue in chicago-fullnote-bibliography?

Sebastian Karcher
volume(issue): page

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 3:42 PM, Joseph Reagle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04/14/2014 05:26 PM, Sebastian Karcher wrote:
>> Otherwise, yes.
>
> Ah, okay. And in the CSL vernacular, what would be the labels for "8(8):
> e69841"? "volume(number): ?"
>
>
> Kross E, Verduyn P, Demiralp E, Park J, Lee DS, et al. (2013) Facebook
> Use Predicts Declines in Subjective Well-Being in Young Adults. PLoS ONE
> 8(8): e69841. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0069841
>
> http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0069841
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Learn Graph Databases - Download FREE O'Reilly Book
> "Graph Databases" is the definitive new guide to graph databases and their
> applications. Written by three acclaimed leaders in the field,
> this first edition is now available. Download your free book today!
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/NeoTech
> _______________________________________________
> xbiblio-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/xbiblio-devel



--
Sebastian Karcher
Ph.D. Candidate
Department of Political Science
Northwestern University

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn Graph Databases - Download FREE O'Reilly Book
"Graph Databases" is the definitive new guide to graph databases and their
applications. Written by three acclaimed leaders in the field,
this first edition is now available. Download your free book today!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/NeoTech
_______________________________________________
xbiblio-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/xbiblio-devel