species names again

James Howison
This from a bibdesk user today:

> a related point: does somebody knows how this king of
> "inconditional formatting" (species latin names should ALWAYS be in
> italics, whatever the cite style is) is stored (if it is) in RIS
> format. I cannot find anything about this on the internet.

I'm pretty sure that the answer is no, RIS is text only, can't store
semantic information like that.

This is another example of where arbitrary names-spaces would be really
valuable inside MODS fields.  Assuming that there is an ontology which
can be linked to that knows something about species names if that
information was encoded in the MODS record one could search for
'articles about species in this genus' etc (ok so I know nothing about
biology ;)  All that and rendering the names in italics (or as links to
more info on the species) or any formatting one would like.

I guess this is one for the MODS list but I find that one intimidating!

--James
+1 315 395 4056
Details: <http://freelancepropaganda.com/jameshowison.vcf>

Re: species names again

Bruce D'Arcus
James Howison wrote:
> This from a bibdesk user today:
>> a related point: does somebody knows how this king of
>> "inconditional formatting" (species latin names should ALWAYS be in
>> italics, whatever the cite style is) is stored (if it is) in RIS
>> format. I cannot find anything about this on the internet.
>
> I'm pretty sure that the answer is no, RIS is text only, can't store
> semantic information like that.

Right, though sometimes you see online database doing stuff like:

T1  - Some <i>Species</i>

... !

> This is another example of where arbitrary names-spaces would be really
> valuable inside MODS fields.

Yes.

> I guess this is one for the MODS list but I find that one intimidating!

You're entering the world of library metadata experts there, so it takes
awhile to learn to speak in their language.

BTW, the LoC crew has agreed to raise my issues (inline markup and a
wrapper for names) for possible inclusion in v4 of the schema. So I'm a
little more optimistic we might see some movement there.

Bruce